• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

Just to clarify---I wasn't criticizing you for posting this. It's news, and worth discussing. I was moreso just commenting on how good this team is, and as a result, how much of a no-brainer it'd be for JVR to want to stay here.

And really, it's a shame he can't. We won't be a better team by virtue of losing him. 30 goal/60-point production isn't easy to replace, and with his size and ability to get to the front of the net and expertly tip pucks, he brings a unique and useful skillset to this team. But thanks to the cap, he'll be the first of many hard choices the Leafs have to make in the years to come.

And I do have a lot of confidence in the guys we've already got in house. Any of Connor Brown, Josh Leivo, Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson would do pretty well for themselves with JVR's ice-time and spot in the lineup.
Np, bro. Thanks.

Go Leafs Go!

I think it's too early to worry as well. Andersen showed last year that he was capable of being a mostly average starter, with some peaks of .920+ play, and some valleys of below-average play thrown into the mix.

It wouldn't surprise me if he averages out to about .915 by the end of the month, and at least gives us a chance to win most nights.

That's probably the most accurate comment.

Regardless though, he really needs to be better for us to get some Cups.

There were people like Andersen and Gardiner who played like crap, but this team just did not work as hard or skate as hard as they did against the Hawks. The Devils will easily miss the playoffs this year. They are improved, but still not good enough.
And BTW, Edmonton misses Hall.

Dreger speculating today that Matthews could get more than McDavid

Sees more value to the franchise in Matthews than McDavid due to the thirst for cup from the fans and media

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Dreger is pretty dumb. That is just terrible reasoning on his part. That's why Bob Mackenzie is great. He never goes with the wild speculation to try to get attention.

If Matthews scores like 50 goals this year, or can put up back to back 90 point seasons before you lock him up, then yeah, maybe if the league cap continues to rise over the next couple years then you could argue that he deserves more. But he's not going to get paid because of a "thirst for a cup" or any bullshit like that.

To get his contract, McDavid scored 100 points, and won the Art Ross & Hart trophies in his second year.

If Matthews can match or beat that, then sure, he'll get McDavid money.

If he doesn't, then he likely gets somewhere between Eichel & McDavid, unless Shanahan & co. work some voodoo and convince him to take less.

He shouldn't take less. He should be happy with his pay and it should be reflective of his value.

He's definitely more than Eichel, but has to be less than McDavid.

Sounded to me like Dreger was saying Matthews would also get more because the rising of the cap over the contract.

Sounded to me like Dreger was saying Matthews would also get more because the rising of the cap over the contract.

That's pretty much it. On That's Hockey BobMc said percentage of cap and Brisson negotiating style why Matthews will get more. I'm glad Matthews is the player he is, he works great at all speeds. McDavids only good when he's fast. Matthews is the more complete player, smarter too.
And McDavid is damaged goods. At the speed he needs to play McDavid will probably end up breaking the other collarbone. I love Matthews.

To get his contract, McDavid scored 100 points, and won the Art Ross & Hart trophies in his second year.

If Matthews can match or beat that, then sure, he'll get McDavid money.

If he doesn't, then he likely gets somewhere between Eichel & McDavid, unless Shanahan & co. work some voodoo and convince him to take less.

Hehe if Matthews can match or beat that then Matthews will be getting Matthews money, not McDavid money lol sounds like Matthews is gonna get Matthews money anyway.

Looks like Rosen will be the odd man out on defense against the Habs. Borgman is paired with Carrick today.

Also looks like the fourth line centre rotation will continue, with Fehr coming back in.

Back