• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing 2017-18 Season

I didn't say we should do something stupid, just that we have too much depth upfront, and it wasn't the best use of assets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In hindsight, my request probably cost the Leafs the best deal they could have made for me. Cliff told me which teams were interested, and the first one was Vancouver. The Canucks’ general manager, Pat Quinn—Cliff ’s old friend—was considering sending young prospect Markus Naslund to Toronto for me. At the time, he was only 23 years old and was really just coming into his own, in only his fourth season in the league. He would go on to become a focal point of the Canucks franchise—a team captain, a first-team all-star, and even a Lester Pearson Award winner as the players’ choice of MVP. In 2002–03 he put up 48 goals and 104 points.

Naslund would have had a big impact with the Leafs.

I told Cliff I didn’t want to go to Vancouver. It wasn’t because of the team, but because of the distance from southern Ontario and the long flights. It was just too far from away where I needed to be in my life.

Cliff understood. He said there were three other teams interested in me: the Florida Panthers, Philadelphia Flyers and the New Jersey Devils. I told him I was okay with any of the three, and then left him to do his job. I didn’t know where, but I knew I was going somewhere soon.

My time as a Maple Leaf was done.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/book-excerpt-doug-gilmour-explains-rejected-trade-canucks/

Interesting tidbit from Dougy's new book. Too bad that didn't happen.

Yeah, letting players choose where they go, and even NTC's in general, really **** over the teams.

Wasn't it Kaberle for Carter and a 1st from Philly back then? Not sure what Mats would've been traded for if he'd waived.

I'm not sure what the peripheral pieces of the deal were, but yeah, Philly was prepared to trade a package centered around Jeff Carter, but Kaberle nixed the deal.

On the flipside, during that same trade deadline, Fletcher also agreed to trade Mats Sundin to Montreal in exchange for Chris Higgins and Montreal's first round pick (25th overall). So in that case, thank **** for no trade clauses. Watching Sundin wear that toilet seat on his chest would have been nauseating, especially for that crappy return.

For tmrw's game, Carrick isn't ready yet to return from a minor injury so Borgman-Rosen will be our 3rd pairing.

I wonder if the new rules are helping a guy like Kadri. Or more hand-eye faceoff guys in general.

Kadri: 59.5fo% (37) / Komarov 76.5fo% (17)
Bozak: 57.7fo% (52) / Marner: 76.9fo% (13)
Matthews: 46.2fo% (26) / Nylander 45.8fo% (24)
Moore: 100.0fo% (9) / Fehr 47.1fo% (17)

TOR: 58.8fo% (#2)

Yeah, letting players choose where they go, and even NTC's in general, really **** over the teams.

Wasn't it Kaberle for Carter and a 1st from Philly back then? Not sure what Mats would've been traded for if he'd waived.

You give them for a reason, usually (except Calgary gave them out like candy for a while). So you give the player some choice in where he plays, in exchange you save some money or some term on the deal. Sometimes it works out for you, usually it just makes it a long struggle to convince them to waive it.

I'm not sure what the peripheral pieces of the deal were, but yeah, Philly was prepared to trade a package centered around Jeff Carter, but Kaberle nixed the deal.

On the flipside, during that same trade deadline, Fletcher also agreed to trade Mats Sundin to Montreal in exchange for Chris Higgins and Montreal's first round pick (25th overall). So in that case, thank **** for no trade clauses. Watching Sundin wear that toilet seat on his chest would have been nauseating, especially for that crappy return.

The Canucks stint wasn't any less painful.

That shit from the Habs was junk in retrospect, but getting a player and a 1st for an asset that was leaving for nothing and going to play for the Canucks, in retrospect, was equally shit, if not more.

I wonder if the new rules are helping a guy like Kadri. Or more hand-eye faceoff guys in general.

Kadri: 59.5fo% (37) / Komarov 76.5fo% (17)
Bozak: 57.7fo% (52) / Marner: 76.9fo% (13)
Matthews: 46.2fo% (26) / Nylander 45.8fo% (24)
Moore: 100.0fo% (9) / Fehr 47.1fo% (17)

TOR: 58.8fo% (#2)

What are the new faceoff rules anyway? I don't think I've seen them, just the shitshow of guys getting kicked out in the circle.

I know there are new rules, but I haven't yet heard what they are.

It isn't apparent what the violation is when they get kicked out.

Lebrun just said JVR's preference is to remain in Toronto and would take less money over an 8 year term to stay.

JVR is not needed on this team. It would be a waste of cap space.
You're going to have guys like him and Bozak offering to take less as the future looks so good here,

The fact that JVR would like to stay here isn't exactly a newsflash. I mean, of course he does---look at who he plays with, and the team around him. He's also been here for six years, through some pretty difficult times, and I'm sure it'd suck to leave just as the team is really starting to take off.

But JVR wanting to stay, or even being willing to take a little less doesn't make re-signing him any less of a poor decision, and misallocation of finite resources for this team. Especially if we're talking about an eight-year contract. Yikes.

Back