• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Brind’Amour had surgery to repair a torn tendon in his hand in January 2003. He missed the last 34 games of the season.

Darling not playing tonight , it's Mrzaek and Ned. I guess that means Darling plays Wed . at home.

also the roster for tonight at Tampa is loaded up with rookies so it could get ugly

Last edited:
Darling not playing tonight , it's Mrzaek and Ned. I guess that means Darling plays Wed . at home.

also the roster for tonight at Tampa is loaded up with rookies so it could get ugly

Preseason game rosters are defined in the CBA. A team must dress a minimum of 8 veterans.

15.4 Exhibition Games.

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:

(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,

(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,

(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or

(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

Under this definition, Svechnikov counts as a veteran.

Its more of a "you need to play some sort of roster that we can defend as legit enough to charge full regular season tix prices for this game" rule than a "vet rule". It also isn't fair to allow a team to ice a roster with no NHL talent as it makes the game useless for the opposing team.

Of course that's the reason... so if they have the rule, why allow a "waiver" to let us only bring 7? We have 19 out of 47 in camp that qualify as "veteran"; surely an 8th would have been possible. No biggie for me, I figure we're getting crushed either way by their lineup.

Of course that's the reason... so if they have the rule, why allow a "waiver" to let us only bring 7? We have 19 out of 47 in camp that qualify as "veteran"; surely an 8th would have been possible. No biggie for me, I figure we're getting crushed either way by their lineup.

Perhaps this has something to do with lost camp time due to the hurricane?

Yeah ... the league has been pretty generous over the years with veteran minimum waivers when teams have back to back ex-games. Makes sense. You don't want to force teams into using a bunch of guys on back to back nights in freaking training camp. That would be dumb.

if you donate hurricane supplies you can get 2 free tickets to the Friday night game

and they give you best available tickets for your donation :thumbup:

Last edited:
The Canes assigned Steven Lorentz, Cliff Pu, Aleksi Saarela, Spencer Smallman, Josiah Didier, Michael Fora, Josh Wesley, and Jeremy Helvig to the Checkers. Their camp opens on Monday. Canes still have 39 players in camp, including Morgan Geekie and Michal Cajkovsky.

The Canes assigned Steven Lorentz, Cliff Pu, Aleksi Saarela, Spencer Smallman, Josiah Didier, Michael Fora, Josh Wesley, and Jeremy Helvig to the Checkers. Their camp opens on Monday. Canes still have 39 players in camp, including Morgan Geekie and Michal Cajkovsky.

I mean, no real surprises there. I'm a bit surprised that Geekie made the cut down, but honestly somebody in the forward group ends up hanging around longer than expected every year so ... tada ... this year it's Geekie. Cajkovsky is on a PTO and he's done plenty enough to warrant a long look at a depth slot. I'm still interested to see if Pu can stick in Charlotte given the depth on that roster up front. We'll see.

I mean, no real surprises there. I'm a bit surprised that Geekie made the cut down, but honestly somebody in the forward group ends up hanging around longer than expected every year so ... tada ... this year it's Geekie. Cajkovsky is on a PTO and he's done plenty enough to warrant a long look at a depth slot. I'm still interested to see if Pu can stick in Charlotte given the depth on that roster up front. We'll see.

I'm sue Pu can stick.

As the Brits say... I'll get my coat.

Micheal Ferland has a lower body injury and will miss a few days. He probably won’t play in any of the remaining preseason games either.

Back