• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Carrick’s cut could be good news for Michal Cajkovsky, in camp on a PTO. There are still 9 dmen in camp and Fleury and McKeown are waivers exempt. So we could see Slavin/Hamilton, de Haan/Faulk, Pesce/TVR with Cajkovsky as the extra.

could also mean a player is lost to waivers on the way down to Charlotte but they probably won't mind that.

I honestly don't think there's a single player who is waiver bound and likely to be sent down that we'd miss in the long run. Guys like Carrick and PDG just aren't worth losing sleep over. Those guys are solid roster depth but nothing more.

And Foegele absolutely HAS to stick if they actually mean all that talk about earning a spot. Has to.

Carrick will easily clear waivers, no concern about that. Really the only question is Fleury sticking around or not, even if that means press box some nights. Cajkovsky as the scratched #7 makes more sense to me than Fleury in that role.

Trade still a possibility....

A trade makes too much sense. We have a number of valuable guys that could be legit NHL players this season but don't have a slot for them. We need a C.

One way or another - a depth or young Dor wing for a similar C. or a higher end D for a higher end C with the depth/young guy filling in on the D or wing.

A trade makes too much sense. We have a number of valuable guys that could be legit NHL players this season but don't have a slot for them. We need a C.

One way or another - a depth or young Dor wing for a similar C. or a higher end D for a higher end C with the depth/young guy filling in on the D or wing.

It might make sense to shop Bean or Fleury for a younger center who could play right away. The Canes also have Adam Fox to dangle if the center coming back made sense for the future.

got 11 game ticket package. Rep is Mike Musialowski Anyone know him? that name sounds like a guy from Chicago or Wisconsin area :)

He's our rep. Nice guy and answers emails with email-- none of that old crap where your rep would call to avoid committing anything in writing. Very responsive even if he can't help. His last name is Musial-- as in Stan Musial-- with the fancy Polish flair!

He's our rep. Nice guy and answers emails with email-- none of that old crap where your rep would call to avoid committing anything in writing. Very responsive even if he can't help. His last name is Musial-- as in Stan Musial-- with the fancy Polish flair!

He’s my rep too, and I concur. A quantum improvement over the jokers I’ve had in the past.

It might make sense to shop Bean or Fleury for a younger center who could play right away. The Canes also have Adam Fox to dangle if the center coming back made sense for the future.

Given what we've got on the shelf in terms of young guys and prospects, if we don't make a move for a center of some kind soon-ish, I think we're just being stupid/bullheaded/fill in your own adjective.

can't be any worse than the last trade can it?

You mean Skinner? Because that has nothing to do with this scenario. That was an exercise in removing an element that was perceived not to fit in the team dynamic. This would be a pragmatic move to fill an immediate need. BIG difference.

What you sure as heck don't want to do is something like what Rutherford did following the 2006 Cup run when he panicked upon discovering that he was WELL short on defense and centers after his summer roster cull and ended up making a knee jerk move to bring in Gleason and Belanger to fix both problems ... at the cost of problem child prospect Jack Johnson. Nothing wrong with moving Johnson to address a short term need. But while Gleason was decent for us, Belanger never fit and was gone we ended up flipping him the same year to bring back Vasicek ... a guy we could have simply signed to an extension during the summer. Bottom line ... don't be dumb and reactionary.

Last edited:
that was the Canes "green" era because they loved to recycle players. :) And coaches too.

Should have recycled Matt Cullen then. He was the only one of that bunch who was still any good and Jimmy let him walk only to re-sign him a year later. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Back