• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Again, feel free to post that stat.

Again, heard it on TSN. You can look up that Gallagher led the league with 8 goalie interference penalties though.

You can not believe it all you want. You're a biased tool against the Habs. They are so in your head that it boils your blood.

Delicious.

He's getting up and out of the crease and contact is made. Ran into him or not doesn't matter. Call the play dead at that point.

Don't let it continue then waive off a good goal that wasn't impacted by any contact whatsoever.

Watch it again, he could have left through the other end of the net without impediment.

This isn't soccer where you play the advantage.

If there is interference or an infraction blow it down. I don't think Killorn did anything wrong. Dove out of the way to avoid a goalie interference call, was impeded from getting out of the crease and then had incidental contact with Price. There is no penalty anywhere on the play.

The biggest thing for me was that by the time the goal went in the contact had long occurred. Price was swimming and a goal was scored.

Fraser's explanation. It talks about PK too. You can dislike it all you want but the rules were correctly applied. I've hated calls against the Habs before even when the rule was correctly applied so I get your angst.

I give young referee Francis Charron kudos for having the courage to correctly apply rule 69.3 and disallow the potential go-ahead goal by Ryan Callahan with 4:22 remaining in the second period and the score tied 1-1.

The overriding rational of rule 69 (Interference on the Goalkeeper) is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. There were two instances of goalkeeper interference by virtue of the rule on the play whereby a goal could not legally be allowed to stand if the puck entered the net.

In the first instance Alex Killorn took the puck hard to the net and initiated contact with Carey Price as he attempted to deke and jam the puck into the net. The rotation of Killorn's body and subsequent crash into the back of the net was as a result of his skate to pad contact with Price and not as a result of any back door pressure exerted by David Desharnais. (Check the footage closely!) In attempting to make the save and as a result of the contact by Killorn the Montreal goalkeeper was knocked beyond his blue paint and was then struck by a falling Desharnais. If the puck were to have entered the net following the contact initiated by Alex Killorn the goal should immediately be disallowed.

As the action continued the referee would only allow a "good goal" once he determined that Price was able to reestablish his position within his goal crease to defend any subsequent shot following this initial contact from Killorn. Price got to his feet and moved laterally across the crease to establish his position and to defend a potential shot by Valtteri Filppula from the left side face-off circle. Alex Killorn was attempting to exit the net behind Price in this same moment and resulted in the second incident of goalkeeper interference inside the crease.

This time however the contact was initiated by Price and not through the actions of Alex Killorn. Nonetheless a violation of rule 69.3 occurred; (Rule 69.3 - If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.) Even though the contact initiated by Price took him deep into 'left field,' it occurred inside the blue paint as Price was "attempting to establish position inside his goal crease" and could only be judged as such by the referee.

Price knows this rule better than most goalies in the NHL and that is why he threw himself into Alex Killorn inside the blue paint. Price has utilized this rule to his advantage on at least three occasions in previous games. I demonstrated a great montage of Price initiated contact inside his goal crease on That's Hockey 2Nite with Steve Kouleas following the Habs-Lightning game. In the footage, Price clearly initiated contact with attacking players inside his crease and in each case the referee immediately disallowed the goal.

Players, coaches, former players and fans don't fully understand the rule application or the standard by which the referees are instructed to enforce rule 69. Until this "loophole" in the rule is closed referee Francis Charron and his colleagues will continue to enforce it in the same manner that we saw last night in Montreal. The NHL needs to come out in support of Francis Charron and the gusty, correct call he made. You did what is not only expected but demanded of you 'kid'.

In laymen's terms 'Avro Arrow', my best advice to attacking players is to keep out of the blue paint and to especially keep clear of Habs goalie Carey Price!

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=449992

What your dim wit fails to understand is that when a player launches himself into the net, THERE IS NO INTERFERENCE ON HIM.

You really think an opposing player has the right to the ice in the net, too funny.

Man, Habs are in the Sens fans heads. Baby bro acting up big time.

You'd think it wouldn't be the case after the Sens beat them last year in the playoffs too... so much sensfan butthurt going on here though

Man, Habs are in the Sens fans heads. Baby bro acting up big time.

You'd think it wouldn't be the case after the Sens beat them last year in the playoffs too... so much sensfan butthurt going on here though
Sorry SirPsychoSexy.

Didn't know we couldn't talk hockey here.

Sorry SirPsychoSexy.

Didn't know we couldn't talk hockey here.

Sir who?

I'm not telling you what you can and cannot talking about. Just observing the disproportionate amount of butthurt coming from the Sens fans after the Habs series victory.

Waaaaaaah the goalie we traded away for an AHLer was hurt.

Waaaaaaaah the refs! OMG the refs!

Should the Habs pull off a win in the second round the collective heads of the Sens fans will explode.

Whether they win or lose the next round I am proud of them, they've made progress as an organization since last year. Higher regular season point total and a win in the first round. Baby steps.

We? You mean all Sans fans?

I find it hilarious that you point out everything that goes "for" the Habs but completely ignore the stuff that goes "against" them. You bitch about goals being waived off in their favour but completely ignore the fact that they've had by far the most goals waived off against them in the league. You also ignore that even though none of us like the rule that led to the disallowed goal for Tampa, but most accounts it was called correctly by the letter of the rulebook.

And that call was inexcusable? It was a blatant trip leading to a turnover in the offensive zone that if not called very well could have led to a goal... that would have been inexcusable to ignore. The reason that it was only the 3rd power play of the game wasn't some conspiracy, it was that both teams had played a pretty clean game and they did let a bunch of the questionable stuff go but that was a call that had to be made.

I didn't see you complain when Stamkos didn't get a penalty for punching Emelin in the face right in front of all 4 officials.

even ignoring the habs
still havnt heard him complain about the sharks PP last night

did he complain about the offside that almost cost the Avs a game?
what about the obvious delay of game that was missed?

even ignoring the habs
still havnt heard him complain about the sharks PP last night

did he complain about the offside that almost cost the Avs a game?
what about the obvious delay of game that was missed?
You know I don't watch every single game, right?

To be clear, I've been silent on the officiating for quite some time now.

I will ask you once again, what would the ramification be had he not called the blatant trip and Tampa scored because of it? Referees are scrutinized by the NHL and analyzed before being allowed to move onto the next round. Refs that make more mistakes in the first round do not get second round games and they, in turn, lose money.

A GWG allowed due to a missed call is far worse than a GWG on a PP made by a correct call.

Like the disallowed goal, which was the correct call by the rule, in game 3. You'd prefer the rules NOT apply simply because it benefited the Habs.

As you say, you are a bastion of objectivity.

both close calls on goals that were reviewed went the way they should have
1 went for the habs 1 went for the sens...i mean bolts

Pretending that Bishop being out was inconsequential is simply idiotic.

The Habs got the job done with a sweep and deserve credit for taking advantage of the situation.

with bishop in the series could have been much different

but habs outplayed them 4 straight games so i wont lose sleep over it

Back