• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 NHL Entry Draft

Will Mathews playing in Switzerland effect his draft standings? How strong is the Swiss league compare to the CHL? Just to better evaluate his performance.

It won't.

Pro leagues are almost all better than Junior leagues in terms of competition by default because you're playing against grown men who are playing to pay their mortgage. They have pressure to perform. The exceptions might be like Norway's pro league or Sweden's third tier pro league and even then, grown men playing against teenagers will always have the edge.

In terms of development, it only becomes an issue if he doesn't get any ice time but I don't think it'll ever be an issue with Auston Matthews.

The Swiss league is basically like MLS in the football/soccer world. It has a fair amount of former NHLers who aren't quite good enough anymore (or ever) to play in the NHL, but are still able to play effectively. So they play in Switzerland with nice living conditions, a pretty good salary, a lighter work schedule than North American teams and the level of competition is still relatively high.

I don't expect Matthews to dominate, although if he did I wouldn't be shocked as he's very, very good, but I do think he'll have an impact at the very least. If he was born 3 days earlier, he would have been drafted 2nd or 3rd overall in June, he'd be getting ready to enter that team's training camp and would be on an NHL team's roster.

Will Mathews playing in Switzerland effect his draft standings? How strong is the Swiss league compare to the CHL? Just to better evaluate his performance.

Swiss league is better than the CHL. These are MEN and many are former AHLers and former NHLers. Its a much tougher league.

Also barring a disaster, Matthews is going 1st overall. He's that far ahead of everyone else. If he was 3 days older we would have had a debate of Eichel vs Matthews for second overall, and that would have been a far better debate than Eichel vs McDavid was.

Matthews broke all of Patrick Kanes records at the USNTDP (and was better than Eichel there).

Swiss league is better than the CHL. These are MEN and many are former AHLers and former NHLers. Its a much tougher league.

Also barring a disaster, Matthews is going 1st overall. He's that far ahead of everyone else. If he was 3 days older we would have had a debate of Eichel vs Matthews for second overall, and that would have been a far better debate than Eichel vs McDavid was.

Matthews broke all of Patrick Kanes records at the USNTDP (and was better than Eichel there).

that probably would of been the best 1-3 punch in draft history

It really might have been. It's right up there with the 1984 draft. Lemieux, Muller, Olczyk.

Corey Pronman posted his first rankings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post?id=814

_____

Top 30:
1. Auston Matthews - C
2. Jesse Puljujarvi - RW
3. Jakob Chychrun - D
4. Dante Fabbro - D
5. Chad Krys - D
6. Matthew Tkachuk - LW
7. Rasmus Asplund - C
8. Dmitri Sokolov - LW
9. Tyler Benson - LW
10. Patrik Laine - LW
11. Alexander Nylander - RW
12. Clayton Keller - LW
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois - LW
14. Kale Clague - D
15. Mikhail Sergachyov - D
16. Sam Steel - C
17. Kieffer Bellows - C
18. Julien Gauthier - RW
19. Tyson Jost - C
20. Jake Bean - D
21. Charlie McAvoy - D
22. Brett Howden - C
23. Carl Grundstrom - RW
24. Libor Hajek - D
25. Max Jones - LW
26. Olli Juolevi - D
27. Michael McLeod - C
28. Jordan Kyrou - RW
29. Samuel Girard - D
30. Sean Day - D

Honourable Mentions:
• Vitali Abramov - LW
• Logan Brown - C
• Alex DeBrincat - RW
• Luke Green - D
• Markus Niemelainen - D
• Alexander Yakovenko - D

Mississauga getting Alex Nylander is pretty awesome. He's really talented.

And I'm not surprised to see some like Pronman starting to sour on Day. Great skater but lacks hockey iq.

hairnova,

Since you go to Halifax Moosehead games pretty often, can you give us reports on Otto Somppi? I have the feeling he might be following in the footsteps of Nikolaj Ehlers & Timo Meier and jump up the rankings by the end of the year.

I think he'll end up in either Carolina, New Joizy or Arizona.

Those are my picks for the three worst teams in the league this year.

hairnova,

Since you go to Halifax Moosehead games pretty often, can you give us reports on Otto Somppi? I have the feeling he might be following in the footsteps of Nikolaj Ehlers & Timo Meier and jump up the rankings by the end of the year.

Six points in his first four games...and without Meier. He's done all of his scoring in two games though.

Bob McKenzie released his preseason rankings last night.

http://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099

_____

Top 15:
1. Auston Matthews - C
2. Jakob Chychrun - D
2. Jesse Puljujarvi - RW
4. Patrik Laine - LW
5. Matthew Tkachuk - LW
6. Alex Nylander - RW
7. Mike McLeod - C
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois - LW
9. Kale Clague - D
10. Max Jones - LW
11. Julien Gauthier - RW
12. Dmitri Sokolov - C
13. Olli Juolevi - D
14. Tyler Benson - LW
15. Mikhail Segachyov - D

Honorable Mentions:
• Kieffer Bellows - C
• Logan Brown - C
• Dillon Dube - LW
• Dante Fabbro - D
• Tyson Jost - RW
• Sam Steel - C

HockeyProspect.com's top-30 for October.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-com-october-top-50/

1 Auston Matthews (C) ZSC NLA 14 10 7 17 2
2 Jakob Chychrun (D) Sarnia Sting OHL 13 3 7 10 8
3 Patrik Laine (RW) Tappara Liiga 11 4 2 6 0
4 Jesse Puljujärvi (RW) Kärpät Liiga 18 4 4 8 6
5 Matthew Tkachuk (LW) London Knights OHL 12 4 13 17 8
6 Olli Juolevi (D) London Knights OHL 12 2 7 9 0
7 Mikhail Sergachyov (D) Windsor Spitfires OHL 14 3 4 7 10
8 Michael McLeod (C) Mississauga Steelheads OHL 14 4 12 16 16
9 Dante Fabbro (D) Penticton Vees BCHL 13 6 13 19 6
10 Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW/C) Cape Breton Screaming Eagles QMJHL 18 8 9 17 16

11 Max Jones (LW) London Knights OHL 10 4 3 7 15
12 Charlie McAvoy (D) Boston Univ. NCAA 4 1 2 3 2
13 Julien Gauthier (RW) Val-d'Or Foreurs QMJHL 16 12 1 13 6
14 Kale Clague (D) Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 13 0 5 5 13
15 Alexander Nylander (RW/LW) Mississauga Steelheads OHL 14 10 11 21 4
16 Jake Bean (D) Calgary Hitmen WHL 13 7 8 15 8
17 Clayton Keller (C) U.S. National U18 Team USDP 11 6 14 20 2
18 Sam Steel (C) Regina Pats WHL 12 4 9 13 0
19 Tyson Jost (C/LW) Penticton Vees BCHL 16 13 18 31 18
20 Luke Kunin (C) Univ. of Wisconsin NCAA 6 2 2 4 6

21 Kieffer Bellows (C/LW) U.S. National U18 Team USDP 11 11 5 16 24
22 Tyler Benson (LW) Vancouver Giants WHL 3 1 1 2 4
23 Markus Niemeläinen (D) Saginaw Spirit OHL 13 0 10 10 2
24 Vitali Abramov (LW/RW) Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 15 8 12 20 6
25 Libor Hájek (D) Saskatoon Blades WHL 13 2 6 8 6
26 Carl Grundström (LW) MODO Hockey SHL 15 1 2 3 14
27 German Rubtsov (C) Team Russia U18 MHL 9 6 4 10 4
28 Logan Brown (C) Windsor Spitfires OHL 9 1 10 11 9
29 Alex DeBrincat (C) Erie Otters OHL 12 16 7 23 2
30 Dillon Dubé (C) Kelowna Rockets WHL 11 9 8 17 16

Yessir. Hell of a player too. Plays a lot like MaxPac from the little I've seen from him.

The guy I would absolutely love to draft is Tyson Jost. Plays in Junior B league, the BCHL, but man oh man is he ever skilled. If he was in the CHL, I think most would see him as a top-10 pick.

Back