• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous News Thread

The Athletic has a few more details on the Pittsburgh and Columbus beef - https://theathletic.com/415536/2018...ed-by-comments-from-jack-johnson-penguins-gm/

Main point being JR, as usual, was too honest in talking about some off-ice issue as the reason Jack Johnson wasn't playing. Torts angry response and explicative laced interview probably highlights some behind the scenes tension. Either way it is highly entertaining and will just make Columbus and its fans hate Pittsburgh that much more. Will be some fun games this upcoming season!

Johnson for his part, called John Davidson to apologize for his comment about "joining a winning culture". C-bus has never won a playoff series and Pittsburgh was won 2 of last 3 Cups so I get the intent, but he probably should have chosen different words.

The Athletic really is killing it with NHL coverage. From Leaf-land, I love this dreaming article that talks about how they won't have to lose any young stars as a result of signing Tavares. Borderline fan-fiction as expected from Toronto - https://theathletic.com/416076/2018...-mean-the-maple-leafs-lose-their-young-stars/

The article is somewhat true based on projections they show, but the bottom 6 and defensive pairings shown in 19-20 season is not going to win a Championship regardless how much the top two lines can score.

These supposed superstars like Johnson who have to "join" a winning culture kill me. Great players don't have to JOIN a winning culture, they make a winning culture. Just maybe Jack, you're part of the reason it's not been a winning culture wherever you've been.

These supposed superstars like Johnson who have to "join" a winning culture kill me. Great players don't have to JOIN a winning culture, they make a winning culture. Just maybe Jack, you're part of the reason it's not been a winning culture wherever you've been.

Johnson is not, and has never been a superstar player in this league. He never panned out to his potential. He just signed as the 5 defenseman in Pittsburgh.

The NHL is not the NBA where one player can change a team's fortune as your best player is just one out of 6 guys on the ice and plays 1/3 of a game. McDavid is the games best player, right now, and Edmonton sucked this year. Is that on him? A winning culture in the NHL requires multiple star players in the current game and good overall depth.

Johnson is not, and has never been a superstar player in this league. He never panned out to his potential. He just signed as the 5 defenseman in Pittsburgh.

The NHL is not the NBA where one player can change a team's fortune as your best player is just one out of 6 guys on the ice and plays 1/3 of a game. McDavid is the games best player, right now, and Edmonton sucked this year. Is that on him? A winning culture in the NHL requires multiple star players in the current game and good overall depth.

I dunno, I'd say Crosby pretty much made that winning culture in Pittsburg - sure not alone, but Columbus has not been exactly unsuccessful, and Johnson should have been able to have a part in making that more of a winning culture. He's along for the ride in Pittsburgh. I'd also say that McDavid will make that a winning culture, and if he is not able to, it won't be because of him. Johnson has been an issue since he was drafted. If you get benched for the playoffs, I'm pretty sure that wasn't because Torts thought he gave them a better chance to win.

And here we sit, with another pile of bargain basement scraps.

One guy hardly constitutes a pile. More of a lump, really

But honestly, I’m not sure who the Canes should have been looking to sign yesterday. Aside from Tavares it’s a huge pile of overpriced mess. It’s missing on Grubauer that hurts Carolina, not yesterday’s usual nonsense.

Except for Faulk's supposed 15-team NTC kicked in without action taken to adjust our newly-found right-shot D-man overload after the draft-day Hanifin (left-shot) for Hamilton (right-shot) trade.

Seems we picked up an upgrade on the right side, to be sure (Hamilton > Faulk). But had no plan in place prior to that June 30 deadline to make the balancing adjustment needed afterward.

Except for Faulk's supposed 15-team NTC kicked in without action taken to adjust our newly-found right-shot D-man overload after the draft-day Hanifin (left-shot) for Hamilton (right-shot) trade.

Seems we picked up an upgrade on the right side, to be sure (Hamilton > Faulk). But had no plan in place prior to that June 30 deadline to make the balancing adjustment needed afterward.

That assumes his NTC is a factor. It also assumes the team thinks it's a problem to play a right shot D on the left. Bean is a left shot. I still think that if they feel they have a problem with the mix by not having the right number of left handed defensemen, that's not a huge issue to solve. I still think they are planning on trading Skinner and maybe Faulk. Once that's decided, they will have some odds and ends to clean up. It doesn't make sense to do that until they know what if any other bigger moves are in the works.

What’s the freaking rush? It’s not like you’re required to have a set roster in place on July 2. Jeez guys.

Twitter was abuzz late last night that Erik Karlsson was traded to Tampa in a blockbuster. Then a bunch of hockey media types pulled it back and said still in the works. Tampa was looking for a third team to get involved for a cap dump of a big contract. Let’s see what today brings.

Twitter was abuzz late last night that Erik Karlsson was traded to Tampa in a blockbuster. Then a bunch of hockey media types pulled it back and said still in the works. Tampa was looking for a third team to get involved for a cap dump of a big contract. Let’s see what today brings.

I happen to know of a team with a ton of cap space ....

If Tampa pulls off that deal they are going to have Hedman AND Karlsson AND McDonagh (and Sergachev)? Are you kidding me?

They would like a dance partner to take Bobby Ryan. At some point the Canes can't keep just adding wingers if they really want to have Zykov and Svechnikov in the lineup. There would have to be some pretty darn good something or other also coming the Canes way before we should entertain being a dumping spot for Bobby Ryan. A REALLY good sweetener.

If you are thinking, 'hey, maybe its Tampa that needs to move one of their current sizable contracts elsewhere, maybe the Canes can get something useful from them?' (that was my first thought) .... Ondrej Palet, Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn all have full NTCs.

---edit----

Dreger is saying Tampa needs to free up cap room. They want to dump Ryan Callahan somewhere. He has a "16 teams you can trade me to" NTC. I would say the same thing I said above about taking on Bobby Ryan...there would have to be a really really great sweetener involved before I would consider taking Callahan (if he even has the Canes on his list). I like the idea of having such a great character guy like Callahan...you want to talk about a culture change, have guys like Ryan Callahan around. But his contract is ridiculous for what he brings now and we really don't need another RW who doesn't really score goals anymore.

Last edited:
If Tampa pulls off that deal they are going to have Hedman AND Karlsson AND McDonagh (and Sergachev)? Are you kidding me?

They would like a dance partner to take Bobby Ryan. At some point the Canes can't keep just adding wingers if they really want to have Zykov and Svechnikov in the lineup. There would have to be some pretty darn good something or other also coming the Canes way before we should entertain being a dumping spot for Bobby Ryan. A REALLY good sweetener.

If you are thinking, 'hey, maybe its Tampa that needs to move one of their current sizable contracts elsewhere, maybe the Canes can get something useful from them?' (that was my first thought) .... Ondrej Palet, Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn all have full NTCs.

---edit----

Dreger is saying Tampa needs to free up cap room. They want to dump Ryan Callahan somewhere. He has a "16 teams you can trade me to" NTC. I would say the same thing I said above about taking on Bobby Ryan...there would have to be a really really great sweetener involved before I would consider taking Callahan (if he even has the Canes on his list). I like the idea of having such a great character guy like Callahan...you want to talk about a culture change, have guys like Ryan Callahan around. But his contract is ridiculous for what he brings now and we really don't need another RW who doesn't really score goals anymore.

Nothing makes sense for the Canes as a dumping ground in a 3 way trade unless you may be talking about a player like Tyler Johnson or Alex Killorn. Guys like Bobby Ryan and Ryan Callahan and those nasty contracts are the types of things as a GM you need to stay away from...we have our very own bad contract in Scott Darling, one is enough in my opinion.

I'd take Bobby Ryan's contract. But then again, I'm not writing the checks. But this team desperately needs a center.

If we take on a big contract winger, we'd have to either get a center in the deal or follow up with a secondary move for a center. CM is right ... you've only got 8 spots on the wing and we've got most of them well filled as it is.

Still, we SHOULD be positioned to take advantage of our cap flexibility and SHOULD be looking to shark our way into a deal that helps us if one pops up. Even if it means you make one move to turn around and make another one later.

If we take on a big contract winger, we'd have to either get a center in the deal or follow up with a secondary move for a center. CM is right ... you've only got 8 spots on the wing and we've got most of them well filled as it is.

Still, we SHOULD be positioned to take advantage of our cap flexibility and SHOULD be looking to shark our way into a deal that helps us if one pops up. Even if it means you make one move to turn around and make another one later.

Excuse me! Is this the Carolina Hurricanes? Not used to off season improvements via trades.

Back