• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Pesce didn’t practice today and Fleury is still in the concussion protocol so we’re going to see Bean tomorrow. Foegele was back on Staal’s line at practice too. McElhinney will start tomorrow night.

I still feel we are screwing up by allowing Foegele to struggle at the NHL level with other options (aka Kuokkanen) available to us.

Foegele's last 16 games?

0 Goals

0 Assists

I love the kid's heart but he isn't helping a lot out there 5v5....

I still feel we are screwing up by allowing Foegele to struggle at the NHL level with other options (aka Kuokkanen) available to us.

Foegele's last 16 games?

0 Goals

0 Assists

I love the kid's heart but he isn't helping a lot out there 5v5....

He's been lost out there nightly, he sure emptied the tank in training camp and the first 5 games to make the team, but lately it's been brutally obvious that Foegele has struggled in almost every aspect of the game. There are at least 2-3 guys in Charlotte that deserve that slot over Foegele right now...Janne K, Metalaanen or even Saarella.

With this many rookies looking to gain traction, there has to be an awareness that some of these kids may have to float between the NHL and AHL to regain their footing and perspective, so to speak. At some point, I expect all of these kids to hit a wall and before development gets thwarted, a nice step back to regain confidence and to log more minutes has to be considered. I don't want to be another EDM that rushed too many kids because we are pocketbook poor and looking to contend.

Don't really disagree with any of this. It would be nice if the older roster tweeters would give us SOMETHING out there. Then you could shift Foegele out of the lineup to collect himself a bit and let PDG or Zykov step in for a few games. But those guys are doing squat.

I don't understand what the Canes are waiting for with Foegele (well I do, but more on that in a bit). They were quick to switch Roy and Bishop and Zykov and PDG around and send Necas down when he struggled, but seem reluctant to swap out Foegele. The only explanation for this I have is the PK, where Foegele is basically one of the only 4 forwards we play on the PK:

Short Handed TOI:

Brock McGinn 53:38
Jordan Staal 49:54
Warren Foegele 39:34
Jordan Martinook 39:11

Lucas Wallmark 12:08
Sebastian Aho 9:46
Tuevo Teravainen 6:10
Clark Bishop 2:59

Basically the Canes don't seem to trust that anyone can fill the PK role that Foegele is playing. I can't say I really know if anyone else on the current roster could be an effective Penalty killer because they get almost no opportunity. Aho is generally used near the end of kills or if we need a goal. I don't want him spending a full 2 minutes a night killing penalties, but I think if Foegele was removed from the NHL roster, a combo of Aho, Wallmark, and Teravainen could fill his void. The non-PK guys include Ferland, JWill, Svech, PDG, Zykov and Rask. Ferland has almost no PK history. Rask was a spot PK a few seasons (never top 4).

I understand the PK has come around and is much improved lately (we are 25th now), but I have a feeling that the reason Foegele will stick here no matter how bad the 5v5 gets is a lack of a trusted replacement for his top 4 PK spot. That a pretty rough approach to take with a rookie who sure looks like should be better than a 4th line PK guy.

Yeah ... given how craptastic the PK was to start the year I'm cool with not messing with it right now. Again, if PDG or Zykov would STEP UP and earn some minutes you could let Foegele find his way back to form on the 4th line, but ... ugh.

I would bet that most of Wallmark’s PK has come in the last 2 weeks. Originally he was used to take a draw when Foegele/Martinook were out but he’s been taking regular shifts lately, especially if Staal is in the box.

Wallmark has been a surprise to me this year. He has a defense first game after all, and is looking more National League every game. I think I would rather see him on the PK than on the PP and at this point believe he is capable to fill the role.

Wallmark has been a surprise to me this year. He has a defense first game after all, and is looking more National League every game. I think I would rather see him on the PK than on the PP and at this point believe he is capable to fill the role.

If the kid had hands, he'd be real trouble but alas. He's a smart, positional player and has adjusted well to the physicality of the NHL. Hopefully the offensive side of his game will grow a bit.

thought you were talking about Jordan for a moment ;)
If the kid had hands, he'd be real trouble but alas. He's a smart, positional player and has adjusted well to the physicality of the NHL. Hopefully the offensive side of his game will grow a bit.

Pesce was in a regular jersey at practice today, Fleury practiced but in a non-contact jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back