• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Draft Preliminary Thread

I just hope we don't blow it.

You mean like Darling, Rask and the #2 overall pick to Arizona for their 6th round pick in 2020 to dump salary? That kind of blow it? Yeah, that’s our specialty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies and Gentlemen, Filip Zadina:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...ysis-video-highlights-ranking-scouting-report

Zadina is a dynamic sniper who was utilized in all situations for the Czech’s. The talented winger has a rare combination of skill and a high-octane motor. He used both consistently throughout the WJC to make a difference for his team [...] His bread and butter is his shot, generating velocity both while in motion and in a standing position.

On a tools level, he’s one of the most dynamic players in the draft. Zadina skates very well and has great, if not elite, hands; and that combination allows him to be quite elusive. Zadina loves to use his skill to create space, cut into the slot and wire chances on net. His off the puck play isn’t perfect, but I’ve seen him be a competent penalty killer and a shorthanded threat. He is a highly competitive player who gets high marks for his character. He’s the complete package offensively and a potential difference-maker on any given shift.

I'm going to guess the thought of having a young fellow countryman to pair with Necas will be too difficult to pass up for the Canes. The Habs will take the Russian kid and Tkachuk will take great pleasure beating the crap out of Montreal and the Canes for years.

Lady Luck moved us up 9 spots- I’ll take it any day! Now, is there any chance we botch this? Do we end up with a Jesse Puljujarvi? I think I like the Czech, Zadina, a bit better than Svechnikov. But the size of Tkachuk and the need for a gritty power forward...

As much as I like Teravainen, and as much as Puljujarvi had issues adjusting to the NHL as a rookie, I would not have complained if some miracle had gotten him to the Canes, considering he had a decent amount of chemistry with Aho when they played together. On the flip side, this may sound like sour grapes, but if Dahlin is as special as they say, it may be for the best that the Canes don't get the chance to screw him up... that is, draft him and have him play his best hockey for someone else (Pronger, Johnson).

The mock drafts are trending toward Andrei Svechnikov at #2, but the prospect of Julien Gauthier and Brady Tkachuk playing on the Canes together in the near future sounds pretty sweet.

Andrei Svechnikov is my pick, this kid potentially is the next great sniper. He's a RW too...

Zykov-Aho-Teravainen
Skinner-Necas-Svechnikov
Saarela-Rask-Lindholm
McGinn-Staal-Williams

Way too young a lineup, but this pick is an amazing opportunity to add a legit high end sniper which of course we need (in addition to a #1 center which hopefully Necas becomes).

Last edited:
I'm going to guess the thought of having a young fellow countryman to pair with Necas will be too difficult to pass up for the Canes. The Habs will take the Russian kid and Tkachuk will take great pleasure beating the crap out of Montreal and the Canes for years.

That’s the kind of Canes romantic thinking that led us to draft Sutter and then Boychuk the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do hope I'm wrong. Watch the Svechnikov highlights and it will be hard not to dream of him scoring goals for us next season.

Incredible good fortune. Once I saw Islanders at 11...and got past the OMG moment...there was a very good feeling that we just could not screw this up. Any of the top 3, heck top 4, are just what the doctor ordered for the Canes.

We badly needed an infusion of top-6 forward talent to reduce overslotting (McGinn/Williams) and increase our GF numbers. Dahlin would have allowed a D-for-O trade but picking from the wingers clustered after Dahlin is a straight infusion of high-end talent.

We're really shallow on the RW, so extra bonus that 2 and 3 are that position.

Canes won big last night...despite Waddell's Debbie-downer remarks about the pick being valuable. Sheesh, Waddell. Keep that kind of thinking to yourself.

I do hope I'm wrong. Watch the Svechnikov highlights and it will be hard not to dream of him scoring goals for us next season.

That’s the other main caveat to a top 3 pick these days, most of those players at the top of the draft are good enough to step right into an NHL lineup! Despite being injured this year his point totals are off the charts in Barrie.

Comparisons made about these kids can be tossed around too frequently, but I have to admit those Svechnikov/Ovechkin comments I've read got me salivating a little.

speculation has started the Canes may trade a down a few picks but to me that makes no sense unless the deal is extremely good.

Maybe they could trade to #3 or #4 if they get a top current player in return and another team really wants #2.

Trading down makes no sense at all, unless the Canes can get center in return, and that's not happening. So, trading is utterly stupid. Take #2.

There is no way I trade down if I'm the Canes. A potentially elite goal scorer who could possibly play next season just fell in to our laps. Take the pick and celebrate our luck!

they are not going to trade down more than 1 or 2 picks at the most. Just depends on what offers they get. And if they have one guy rated way above everyone else then they won't trade.

BTW the last Canes draft pick from Russia who panned out was .... nobody. (from what I remember) That does not mean anything, just a bit of trivia.

Frankly, I think there's very little to choose between the three top wings in this draft. If the Canes got good value to trade down a spot or two it wouldn't break my heart. Personally, I'd stick where we are and take the Russian kid, but that's my personal preference ... and I've warned everybody for almost two decades not to let personal preference get in the way of common sense, especially in draft situations.

BTW the last Canes draft pick from Russia who panned out was .... nobody. (from what I remember) That does not mean anything, just a bit of trivia.

Restricting conversation to the first round, the sample size is so small as to be completely irrelevant. Rutherford got burned by Kynzev and decided never to draft another Russian in the first round ... or pretty much ever. Which was childish and stupid, not to mention wasteful.

Back