• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Ovechkin with 0 points in the 4 game series.

He's hanging on to break Gretzky's record, and not much else. He may still have 40 or 50 NHL goals in him, but he's toast.

Congrats to the Caps for sneaking into the last spot when no one else seemed to want it. But they have to be the worst playoff team I have seen in my 25 years of following hockey.
2006-07 Atlanta Thrashers? They had home ice and still got swept by the Jerks.

Ovechkin with 0 points in the 4 game series.

He's hanging on to break Gretzky's record, and not much else. He may still have 40 or 50 NHL goals in him, but he's toast.
Worse than just the flat-lined counting stats, Ovechkin seemed either disinterested or completely out of gas in the series. He wasn't just a non-factor, he was a possession black hole. If those were the only four Caps game you saw all season, then you'd be 100% forgiven for assuming that Ovechkin is well and truly cooked, but in truth they don't make the playoffs at all without his offensive surge in the second half of the season.

Travesty to see a team that terrible in the playoffs, at least the Red Wings or even the Pens would have provided some sort of playoff competition for the Rangers. That was like watching paint dry…

Travesty to see a team that terrible in the playoffs, at least the Red Wings or even the Pens would have provided some sort of playoff competition for the Rangers. That was like watching paint dry…
They were so bad that they made me feel sorry for Spencer Carbery ... and for that alone, I feel like the Caps owe me some sort of compensation.

Congrats to the Caps for sneaking into the last spot when no one else seemed to want it. But they have to be the worst playoff team I have seen in my 25 years of following hockey.
And for the first time ever, Ovi was held pointless in the playoffs. Fehervary was the only guy with more than 1 goal. Oshie and Patches each had 1 assist. I wonder if this is the end for Patches, he only had 4 goals, 19 assists in 47 games. He‘ll be 36 in November. Oshie has 1 year at $5.75 million cap but only $4 million actual, $1 million of it is a signing bonus. He’ll be 38 in December. You know Ovi isn’t going anywhere, he’s 42 goals short of passing Gretzky and has 2 years left at $9.5 million AAV but $20 million actual split evenly between signing bonus and salary. He’ll be 39 in September.

For Pacioretty I think it comes down to whether or not there's any hope of further PT or rehab giving him back some mobility. The guy basically can't skate at all at this point. Ovechkin is gonna get the goal scoring record even if they have to roll him out there on a hand truck and prop him up on the left side of the crease for power plays, but everybody else on that roster over the age of 25 is basically yard sale material. Aside from Tom Wilson, who is weirdly enough their best player. At this point, if they can pull off a soft rebuild while also giving Ovechkin just enough support to get his record, then it will be a minor miracle. At least they accumulated a fair number of draft picks over the next two drafts. If they can add a few more 2nd or 3rd rounders by trimming some vaguely useful old guys, they should do that.

TJ Oshie was playing with a broken hand.

Ovie was 100% useless out there the whole series. The Rangers easily covered him during PPs. There wasn't one moment in any of the final 3 games when Ovechkin seemed to be putting any effort into doing anything at all out there. Once all of his PP shot attempts were blocked Game 1 he pretty much shut it down.

In my opinion it was an embarrassing display of selfishness by Ovechkin. Yes his team had little chance in the series, but the Caps would have been better served putting anyone else in their organization who is under contract out there instead.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that he’s hearing the Kraken are firing coach Dave Hakstol. Either Francis and company view last year as an aberration or this is an extreme example of “what have you done for me lately”. They had 60 points in their first season, 3rd worst in the league behind Montreal and Arizona, improved to 100 points last season and had 81 this season.

Nah, RBA isn't going out to the west coast. Toronto is going to offer him $10 million per year to be their head coach. After he has assurances that Gleason and Daniels are going to get a raise, he will again take far less than his market value (which is realistically what, $3-4 million per now?) and sign a contract to stay with the Canes for 3 more seasons (probably for less than $3 million per).

Last edited:
It's looking like we're going to get to watch Boston vs Florida. It's impossible to decide which I hate more, both team-wise and player-wise (Marchand or Tkachuk). I also really dislike the Rangers (Trouba, Rempe). Let's go Canes!

Chairman Moe moves on. The new day has dawned. Caps and Bolts are both officially on the trash heap and are rebuilding.

Oh, and I wish Steve Levy could mention at least 8 more times that Stamkos might not be back with Tampa 🙄

Chairman Moe moves on. The new day has dawned. Caps and Bolts are both officially on the trash heap and are rebuilding.

Oh, and I wish Steve Levy could mention at least 8 more times that Stamkos might not be back with Tampa 🙄
Levy was almost in tears, it was like Gretzky’s last game with the pomp and pageantry ESPN had on display last night…

It was nutty how much attention they focused on this.

If Stamkos wants to stay in Tampa, they will get something done. If Stamkos feels some sort of need to chase a final bag elsewhere or answers the Toronto Maple Leafs cry to "come home" and takes much less to sign there, then that would be his decision to do so.

I suspect he signs for like 4x$8 million and remains in Tampa.

Different heaps, I think. Washington is well and truly done in terms of actual relevance while Tampa ... let's see what they do post-Stamkos. They've still got the bones of a very, very good hockey team in there.

Back