• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

GGpX

The annual Hlinka-Gretzky tournament is usually the starting point for the upcoming draft.

On Saturday, the finals will be Canada against Czechia, while Finland faces the Americans for the Bronze.

Leading scorer of the tournament so far is Berkley Catton, who is projected as a top 10 pick in this year's draft. Ryder Ritchie is right at his heels and Michael Misa, the project first overall pick for 2025, is right behind him as well.

Both games are at 11AM EST.

Hockey players, especially from Canada, have some of the weirdest names, man.

They don't hold a candle to names like Kool-Aid McKinstrey, a projected top pick in the 2024 NFL draft, but for the most part?

Scott Wheeler's pre-season 2024 rankings:

Always fun to check these a few weeks before the draft to compare the changes.
Interesting to see Lane's little brother, Cole has been putting up as good or better numbers than him. He's 4 and a half months younger than Lane was as well. Too bad he's another 5'8 dman that's probably going in the late 1st round cause it would be awesome to have such a talented pair of brothers.

Interesting to see Lane's little brother, Cole has been putting up as good or better numbers than him. He's 4 and a half months younger than Lane was as well. Too bad he's another 5'8 dman that's probably going in the late 1st round cause it would be awesome to have such a talented pair of brothers.
Barely 145 pounds , good luck

Cole was arguably better than Lane was at the same age, which is why he's a projected top-10 to 15 player as it stands.

I also think that teams seeing what Lane Hutson has been doing since he was drafted (and Quinn Hughes too) has kind of lifted the stigma a little bit.

Cole was arguably better than Lane was at the same age, which is why he's a projected top-10 to 15 player as it stands.

I also think that teams seeing what Lane Hutson has been doing since he was drafted (and Quinn Hughes too) has kind of lifted the stigma a little bit.
Agreed but a 14 year old girl weighs more , its a good draft I dont see a lottery pick

Hughes is electric and a legit 5`10" 170+ pounds and a top offensive D in the league

Sure, and that's why Hughes was projected as a top-5 pick his whole draft year.

Neither Hutson brothers look like Quinn Hughes because for starters, they're not nearly as gifted as Hughes is at skating.

we will be drafting #6...
Which means picks 1-5 are lead pipe locks to become Hall of Famers and one potential Hall of Famer with "issues" will be available at 6 but also a less talented but straitlaced, humble player.

I wonder who the Habs will pick...

Not sure it’s even that arguable. I saw Cole play March and he’s tremendous. Eiserman and him were lights out.

Not sure it’s even that arguable. I saw Cole play March and he’s tremendous. Eiserman and him were lights out.
A 13 year old girl is bigger than Cole

High skill but these bros cant play at 145- 150 pounds and survive on the blue line

A 13 year old girl is bigger than Cole

High skill but these bros cant play at 145- 150 pounds and survive on the blue line
I remember seeing Gallagher playing junior for the Vancouver Giants and thinking that as good as he looked he couldn't possibly amount to anything as an NHLer, especially with the style of game he played. I went to see a Hamilton Bulldogs game specifically to watch Subban but came away being more impressed by the play of David Desharnais, who I also thought was too small to amount to anything as a pro. Had I seen Caufield I doubtless would have had the same assessment. Likewise for Hutson.

I think smaller players can be effective if they have elite skating skills and eyes in the back of their heads to avoid getting creamed but every time they get on the ice you're going to be holding your breath hoping they don't wind up on a stretcher.

I remember seeing Gallagher playing junior for the Vancouver Giants and thinking that as good as he looked he couldn't possibly amount to anything as an NHLer, especially with the style of game he played. I went to see a Hamilton Bulldogs game specifically to watch Subban but came away being more impressed by the play of David Desharnais, who I also thought was too small to amount to anything as a pro. Had I seen Caufield I doubtless would have had the same assessment. Likewise for Hutson.

I think smaller players can be effective if they have elite skating skills and eyes in the back of their heads to avoid getting creamed but every time they get on the ice you're going to be holding your breath hoping they don't wind up on a stretcher.
A winger can survive being a buck 55 like Gaudreau , Caufield is a tank at 175 on a 5`7" frame

Spurgeon and Girard I think are the only blueliners playing at 170 pounds

Vegas showed how you need size on the backend , the Hutson brothers need to play at the 170+ range to survive in the league

Did a quick review of top-3 picks over last 20-years (2003-2019 since last 4-drafts likely need time before passing any kind of judgement)

2003: Fleury, Staal, Horton
2004: Ovy, Malkin, Barker
2005: Crosby, Ryan, J.Johnson
2006: E.Johnson, J.Staal, Toews
2007: Kane, JVR, Turris
2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian
2009: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene
2010: Hall, Seguin, Gundbranson
2011: RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau
2012: Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk
2013: MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin
2014: Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl
2015: McDavid, Eichel, D.Strome
2016: Matthews, Laine, PLD
2017: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen
2018: Dahlin, Svechnikov, KK
2019: Hughes, Kaako, Dach

If we define “extremely successful” as being 1st line / 1st pairing…

Almost every draft from 2003-2019 (inclusive) has at least one player in top-3 who failed to meet that criteria (see bold), and I was generous in some cases (E.Johnson, J.Staal in 2006, JVR in 2007, Makar vs Hischier in 2017 etc.) - roughly 30-51 top-3 picks are slam dunks (again being generous) roughly 59%

Out of those 17-drafts, 1OA is the undisputed best player in 10-of them (58% of the time)

NHL draft of 18-yr olds is pretty much a crapshoot…not talking 70%+ success rate

Back