• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to predict the Leafs get 110 points this year. Because they're awesome.

If I thought they were only just okay, I'd predict 109 points, obviously.

I think LoF is making some bad arguments here but overall, I do think HP is downplaying/hedging his expectations a little. I can recall a few times him going through the >>>, <<<, === exercise to try to illustrate this year's Habs club was pretty close to equal to last year's. It's still early of course, but if they end up being a bubble team, hopefully you'll own that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to predict the Leafs get 110 points this year. Because they're awesome.

If I thought they were only just okay, I'd predict 109 points, obviously.

tenor.gif

I think LoF is making some bad arguments here but overall, I do think HP is downplaying/hedging his expectations a little. I can recall a few times him going through the >>>, <<<, === exercise to try to illustrate this year's Habs club was pretty close to equal to last year's. It's still early of course, but if they end up being a bubble team, hopefully you'll own that.

What's the bad argument?

Predicting within 5 points of 1st place and being confident about that, but not being confident of finishing in first place, isn't silly?

It makes little sense to say that a losing streak to start the year such an impact on the prediction when there were several of the same or worst last year, and it's certainly foreseeable for any team?

I don't see how anyone can reasonably look at it differently.

I mean, it's one thing to say between 5 and 10 points out of first place, and say you're not confident about finishing first.

But that's not what happened here.

I think LoF is making some bad arguments here but overall, I do think HP is downplaying/hedging his expectations a little. I can recall a few times him going through the >>>, <<<, === exercise to try to illustrate this year's Habs club was pretty close to equal to last year's. It's still early of course, but if they end up being a bubble team,

You're close. I'm not hedging now.... I DID hedge with my prediction in the first place... because I believed that the team (as noted with the >>>, <<<, === exercise) was about as good as last year... and what I'm doing now is stressing to you that I DID hedge. I felt that Leafs and Lightning would be a lot better than they were last year and would probably overtake the Habs. But I felt the Habs were still good enough that they'd hang with them to an extent.

hopefully you'll own that.

Own what? If they are a bubble team that doesn't finish within 5 points of 1st place it's an indisputable fact that I was wrong.

The fact that I'm actually admitting 6 games in that my prediction is likely to be wrong.... kinda shows that I'm owning it already. However, I will not "own" something that I never predicted or even felt... and that something is that I somehow was confident that the Habs would win the division.

Last edited:
You're close. I'm not hedging now.... I DID hedge with my prediction in the first place... because I believed that the team (as noted with the >>>, <<<, === exercise) was about as good as last year... and what I'm doing now is stressing to you that I DID hedge. I felt that Leafs and Lightning would be a lot better than they were last year and would probably overtake the Habs. But I felt the Habs were still good enough that they'd hang with them to an extent.

Own what? If they are a bubble team that doesn't finish within 5 points of 1st place it's an indisputable fact that I was wrong.

The fact that I'm actually admitting 6 games in that my prediction is likely to be wrong.... kinda shows that I'm owning it already. However, I will not "own" something that I never predicted or even felt... and that something is that I somehow was confident that the Habs would win the division.

?

Own that you thought they'd be equal?

I'm having trouble editing my posts on tapatalk, weird. But I'll add that not being willing to admit when you're wrong has never actually been an issue for you.

The guy just literally doesn't get that he made a prediction that they'd finish with essentially the same number of points as first place.

Which he was confident of.

But not confident of finishing in first place.

Is it just me that's having huge issues with Tapatalk lately? Either it takes forever to load or I go to edit a post and only half of it shows up...

There was another regular Habs poster here who I think was more optimistic than HP but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

I'm having trouble editing my posts on tapatalk, weird. But I'll add that not being willing to admit when you're wrong has never actually been an issue for you.

Thank you. You're right. I literally have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I actually find it liberating. I don't understand people's reluctance to admit to being wrong. One of the most off putting personality traits someone can have is refusal to admit they're wrong. It's just lying... and lying is the worst.

So believe me when I say that, while I certainly felt that winning the division was a possibility... I did not think they would win it. I thought the fact that they as a team were about equal to last year would keep them close... I randomly picked 5 points as the over/under and was willing to bet on it. Now if they don't finish within 5 points I will admit (though it will be redundant) that I was wrong.

It's only 6 games in, but if I had never made a prediction and I could have a redo I'd probably say "within 10" or maybe even more if I was putting money one it due to the hole they're in.

I'm gonna guess that the division title is gonna take more points than last year to start with and that if you're within 5 points that's gonna end up being a 100 pt+ team.

You asked "own what?". And that was what I was referring to.

Yeah, for sure. And again, even though it's only 6 games in, I already appear to be wrong. Zero issue admitting that now or in 6 months if it plays out that way. I will not "admit" to being wrong about something I never said/felt though.

That said... they don't need 103 points to "be about as good as last year." Cause, while they're as good, the Leafs and Lightning are better... so there's almost guaranteed lost points vs those two teams. That's 8 games that it's going to be very tough to match what they did last year.

I'm gonna guess that the division title is gonna take more points than last year to start with and that if you're within 5 points that's gonna end up being a 100 pt+ team.

It's looking that way. Not that we need to keep prefacing how early it is... but despite that, the Leafs and Lightning look even better than I expected.

The crazy thing is that I may end up being wrong by virtue of underestimating how good the Leafs and or Lightning would be instead of (or in addition to) the Habs being worse than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back