• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

While the two are completely different situations, especially contractually, this sort of does remind me of the Luongo situation in Vancouver. A shitty, delusional GM stubbornly asking for the moon in exchange for a diminishing asset that's also a huge distraction, because desperately wants to get the hell away from the team and everyone knows you're trying to trade him.

Duchene scored 40 points last year and is only signed until next year. Don't know why they tried to force him out so publicly. Literally the worst time to move him.

Yeah, they want to get a package for a superstar 1st line centre. But he is not that player.
Sakic has waited far too long and screwed himself. Thank god we have great people running the Leafs,

Sakic wants a package for 70 point Duchene but he's only getting offers for 40 point Duchene. At this point you have to play him and hope the return improves. Waiting this long and dealing him for a bag of chips is the worst outcome for Colorado.

I'm convinced Bergevin is trying to pull out all the stops to land Duchene.

He just has nothing to offer. Or anyone the Avs might want (like Galch) would make it a sideways move.

Yeah, Montreal's not making any more major additions through trades. At least, not without sacrificing valuable players who are already on their roster. They have no more chips left to play. Who's their top prospect? Victor Mete? Noah Juulsen? Michael McCarron?

These aren't blue chip guys with high trade values.

That would be why their owner was spouting off to the media about him & Bergevin discussing Tavares.

Agreed. And he speaks French. Matt only has the French name.

A big problem with Colorado is their "Big 3" all have underperformed (Duchense/Landeskog/Mackinnon). None have turned out as good as hoped. Nate's best hockey still is his first 40 NHL games as a rookie. Never hit that level again.

Last edited:
Yeah, Montreal's not making any more major additions through trades. At least, not without sacrificing valuable players who are already on their roster. They have no more chips left to play. Who's their top prospect? Victor Mete? Noah Juulsen? Michael McCarron?

These aren't blue chip guys with high trade values.

That would be why their owner was spouting off to the media about him & Bergevin discussing Tavares.
Our only real trade chips right now is that we can take on cap space and have a bunch of draft picks. But it's not like we're going to be able to pry Duchene with just picks unless if Colorado really gets forced so it's a bad spot to be in.

Our only real trade chips right now is that we can take on cap space and have a bunch of draft picks. But it's not like we're going to be able to pry Duchene with just picks unless if Colorado really gets forced so it's a bad spot to be in.
That is true. You still possess all of your own high draft picks, and you have an additional second rounder from Chicago, to go along with your $8.5M of free cap space. So while it's unlikely you'd be able to make a major addition with remaining term like Duchene, you are well-positioned for the rental market at the trade deadline.

That is true. You still possess all of your own high draft picks, and you have an additional second rounder from Chicago, to go along with your $8.5M of free cap space. So while it's unlikely you'd be able to make a major addition with remaining term like Duchene, you are well-positioned for the rental market at the trade deadline.
We also have Washington's second. As long as the main roster holds up until then we have virtually unlimited freedom at the deadline to tinker and add whatever pieces we lack.

Montreal should be all over Duchene if all they have to give up is picks and prospects. No surprise that the Avs haven't accepted a deal though as it seems they want NHL ready talent. Juulsen isn't enough of a prospect.

I like Duchene more than a lot of people are currently giving him credit for. I think in the right situation he could be a 70ish point player. I think a team like Columbus probably gets it done as they have the NHL ready prospects and picks to get it done.

Back