• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bruins Series Thread (no not a gameday thread), featuring too many stats

Sounds like we’ll see same guys in the lineup but maybe different lines.

Maybe, but at this point of the series, veteran coaches don't show their hands. In game 5 Babs surprised everyone with the lines he used when the game started.

So we'll see.

almost same lines in practice today, but with Kadri and Pleks swapped.

Not exactly sure what the point is. I thought both lines looked really good as is.

but Babs really needs his "matchup shutdown" line, I guess, even though they got demolished in game 1 (the only other time they've been together this series).

almost same lines in practice today, but with Kadri and Pleks swapped.

Not exactly sure what the point is. I thought both lines looked really good as is.

but Babs really needs his "matchup shutdown" line, I guess, even though they got demolished in game 1 (the only other time they've been together this series).
Keep in mind that Babcock had Kadi with Marleau/Marner & Plekanec with Johnsson/Nylander during Saturday's practice too, before swapping them at the start of the game.

So, he may just be trying to throw some uncertainty into Boston's preparations once again.

Yeah, that’s why I was surprised at the beginning of last game seeing Kadri and Nylander together. I thought maybe they’d just been in the process of changing lines, but no.

Summary Scoring Breakdown, using my original categories in the OP:

MVPs

Matthews: 1gls, 2pts
Marchand: 2gls, 7pts

1st liners

Kadri/Mitch/Willy: 1gls, 8pts
Bergy/Pastro/Krejci: 6gls, 20pts

Depth Scorers

JVR/Bozak: 5gls, 8pts
Debrusk/Heinen: 2gls, 4pts

Depth Grit

Hyman/Marleau/Brown: 4gls, 10pts
Nash/Nash/Backes: 3gls, 3pts

Fourth Liners

Pleks/Johnsson/Kappy/Leo/Moore: 2gls/4pts
Kuraly/Acciari/Schaller/Donato/Wingels: 3gls/8pts

#1 Dmen

Rielly: 0gls, 5pts
McAvoy: 0gls, 1pts

Puckmovers

Jake: 0gls, 1pts
Krug: 1gls, 8pts

Shutdown

Hainsey: 0gls, 0pts
Chara: 1gls, 2pts

Depth

TOR: 0gls, 0pts
BOS: 2gls, 6pts

Or:

Top-Liners

TOR 2gls, 16pts
BOS 9gls, 36pts

Depth

TOR 11gls, 22pts
BOS 11gls, 23pts

I did this because I thought maybe our depth was making up for the top-line difference but I guess it's not. The depth so far has been even in the series, and it's still the difference in the top liners that has the bruins in the lead.

Gotta figure Matthews and Willy are going to regress before the series is over. They are both due for a multipoint night or two.

Series Updated Team Stats

5v5 Score-Adjusted

CF%: TOR 47.2% - BOS 52.8%
SF%: TOR 45.5% - BOS 54.5%
SCF%: TOR 48.5% - BOS 51.4%
HDCF%: TOR 50.2% - BOS 49.8%

So Boston is holding a healthy advantage on shot attempts and shots at 5v5, but it's pretty close in terms of Scoring Chances and High Danger Chances.

GF%: TOR 44.0% - BOS 56.0%
SGF%: TOR 52.4% - BOS 47.6%

Boston is outscoring the Leafs at even strength, but the Leafs are scoring more off of scoring chances than the Bruins - which means that the Bruins have had a bunch of goals off of low-danger outside shots (and I think we've all seen those bad goals from our eye tests).

PP

TOR: 3:31toi/gm, 110.5cf/60, 56.7sf/60, 62.3scf/60, 19.8hdcf/60, 8.5gf/60
BOS: 5:55toi/gm, 98.2cf/60, 52.8sf/60, 60.1scf/60, 21.8hdcf/60, 10.9gf/60

The PPs have been similarly effective, but again, the Bruins are still scoring more per minute. Makes it worse that they've had almost twice the PP time as the Leafs have had this series, though.

Interesting thing they said on NBC last night.

Leafs only took one penalty total in Games 3 and 4 at home. And last night, other than Polak's equalizer, and Marner over the glass, did we have one? We've played such a clean game.

Those little bump passes to get easy zone exits off their hard pinches in the 3rd period last night were huge.

I hope that's an actual adjustment they made on purpose, that they can continue it, and that they can adjust back when the bruins try to adjust to it.

It really made all the difference in the world.

because the crazy thing is we really haven't played well this series. we can play much better.

that 3rd period was the closest thing we've had yet to playing actually well.

Agreed. That was a complete third period. We didn't get manhandled or grossly outshot, and weren't pinned in our zone. And Freddy was super solid.

Need three more periods of that in this series and we're taking it.

Back