• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Acquire Gostisbehere

Andrew Alberts was a big man D that came at one point from the Bruins...that's all I remember about him...certainly not his play was memorable!

Andrew Alberts was a big man D that came at one point from the Bruins...that's all I remember about him...certainly not his play was memorable!
Aside from Pratt (who was good for exactly one season ... wearing a different number) that whole list is a bunch of guys you vaguely remember for one hazy thing ... kinda big, had a million brothers who played at Harvard, was good in the AHL, etc. Maybe the least noteworthy number history you could imagine without somebody actually awful being attached.

Hopefully 3 years down the road, after we win a Cup and when Alexander Nikishin is in our lineup, playing like Victor Hedman out there, we will revisit this thread and remind ourselves that the Canes management knew what they were doing.

I had forgotten Biega even played for the Canes. Good lord what an underwhelming collection.
I think he ended up with concussion problems. His brother Alex played for Vancouver, Detroit and Toronto, never really sticking, splitting most seasons between the NHL and AHL.

List of all the Carolina Hurricanes Sweater Numbers | Hockey-Reference.com

The 7 games-played last year of Josh Leivo has entered the chat!

Jim Culhane 1990
Joe Day 1992
Allen Pedersen 1993-1994
Nolan Pratt 1997 (wore #41 for the Whalers, he switched to #4 with the Canes)
Andrew Alberts 2010
Danny Biega 2015
Sheldon Rempal 2021
Josh Leivo 2022

I expect the Ghost's tenure as #41 to fit right in with this list.

Yikes! Is the #41 the Carolina Hurricanes equivalent of a milk carton? I'd be curious to know if we've have any other numbers represented so well. Really hoping that Gostisbehere makes it his brand for good reasons. *on my way to flip through Hockey-Reference*

Jim

I love how Tripp Tracy somehow made that list without ever actually making it into an NHL game.

The Shayne Gostisbehere pick up by Don Waddell sure is looking like the piece to the puzzle the Hurricanes have been missing...on the second PP unit, if nothing else. Like usual, well played, sir. He's playing chess while everyone else appears to be playing checkers.

I suppose it helps that the Hurricanes last two opponents haven't exactly been at the top of their games, but confidence building wins are a good thing. Vasilveskiy looked downright mortal today. Gostisbehere has to be energized coming to Carolina where he's now a cog in part of the machine and not just a random part.

Jim

It's two games ... but Ghost was always going to be a good fit, so long as they can keep him sheltered defensively.

Back