• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sold.

Re: Letter of Intent to Purchase Canes

I would hate if this all ends up with PK calling the shots and continuing to run this franchise into the ground. I want PK fully out, the team kept in Raleigh (which the NHL continues to claim must happen, but I don't entirely trust Bettman), and a new deep pocketed ownership group.

Next season, unless something really dramatic changes in terms of the roster, we will be up near a $66 million cap number with Pesce and Slavin's new deals and then Hanifin needing to be paid ($5 million per?). Still pretty much at the bottom, but not insanely near the bottom. Its that extra $9-10 million in cap room that sure would be useful if an owner was actually willing to spend to near the cap.

The more PK insists on staying involved the better chance that this team continues to flounder unless someone else offers up a massive piggybank that allows Ronnie to go ahead and spend a lot more money. Money doesn't fix everything of course, but money replaces Derek Ryan with a much better center.

Sounds like the NHL Board of Governors convene in early December and then not again until June of next year...so unfortunately, this looks like it will drag out until early summer with no end in sight.

I cannot imagine any new owner wanting to pay $300 or $400 million dollars and still let Ponytail Pete anywhere near the decision making of this team if a sale goes through.

Sounds like the NHL Board of Governors convene in early December and then not again until June of next year...so unfortunately, this looks like it will drag out until early summer with no end in sight.

After reading the fairly detailed resume and track history on Dundon from the link below, I cannot imagine him wanting to pay $300 or $400 million dollars and still let Ponytail Pete run a muck moving forward with this team.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2015/09/11/for-dallas-newest-billionaire-early-failure-set-stage-for-success

Money doesn't fix everything of course, but money replaces Derek Ryan with a much better center.

And allows you to go make a move for a decent right side D-man instead of just taking whatever castaway Chicago cuts loose in the summer.

the governors can meet any time they want to approve a new owner they don't have to wait until June.

An owner in the golf business.

Right up this franchise's recent spring time alley.

Dreger tweeting that Dundon and Karmanos are going into the executive committee right now

Is this real life?

Nah. It's pro sports. That's about as far from real life as it gets.

My contact within the existing minority partner circle has gone into silent running mode. I think this thing might actually happen.

Sounding like this deal is done, awaiting approval.

Karmanos retains 48% ownership and rumor has it the deal includes some type of non-movement clause. Nothing officially announced but plenty of coverage coming on Twitter. Not crazy about the 48% part, but better than majority I guess.

Last edited:

So assuming this happens. Will and when (if yes) it translate to change on the ice?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yep, about as close to good news as this franchise has had in almost a decade.

...spinning for John Tavares money...no whammy, no whammy!

my current dream is that we haven't made any moves because of the pending sale chance. I implore everyone not to ruin my dream. haha

Karmanos retains 48% ownership and rumor has it the deal includes some type of non-movement clause. Nothing officially announced but plenty of coverage coming on Twitter. Not crazy about the 48% part, but better than majority I guess.

Does this mean PK is buying out the minority ownership group? What is their % again?

Good news I guess, but not great news if Ponytail Pete retains 48%...beggars cannot be choosers they say, but the team stays and a new owner with deep pockets as a majority owner is still pretty good news. I bet the next Top Golf franchise is coming to Raleigh too sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Back