• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Gale Force ... You're On the Clock ... Post Season Changes Thread

What about

Boychuk/Tlusty E. Staal Semin
Skinner J. Staal Lindholm
Boychuk/Tlusty somebody somebody
somebody Malholtra Dwyer

That's three somebody's up front. Those lines look good and I'd wager if we get the right pieces for lines 3 and 4 - lines 1 and 2 will become more effective. And of course we'd have more options for need to basis (i.e. run one of our bangers up on the top line for a few shifts etc..)

And two somebody's on the back end.

If we can't find a taker and suitable return for Liles, than yeah, you move Murphy for what we need. I'm not at all comfortable going with a defense group that includes ALL of Liles, Muprhy and Sekera. Sekera you keep because he's a really good and effective smallish defenseman. But having half of your defense corps under 6 foot? (ok Sekera is listed at 6 foot)... but this is made worse because none of the other three are particularly physical. I know I hear about Bellemore's progress, I'm not sold. I think he's another example of over slotted and prospering (for now).

Decent is relative. The biggest factor in dealing Ward will be how much salary we have to eat. Say it's half ... then we'd need a decent young prospect in his entry contract. Less than that? Sure, give us a lesser player or a pick.

Yeah I see what you mean. The more we eat of his contract, the better player. The less we eat of his contract, not as good player (less on the return). Again, I just don't see that as hopeless, just more that we are stuck and have to find a good suitor, a deal that works for both clubs. Ward is good enough to garner attention and get that done. If we could move Gleason and Ruutu who are arguable much more useless than Ward is... ? Since we aren't trying to land a #1 defenseman or a top 6 forward based on what I think we need to address, then trading Ward and gettting something useful in return isn't completely out of the question, no?

If we could move Gleason and Ruutu who are arguable much more useless than Ward is... ?

Two words ... Tomas Kaberle.

Where there's a will, there's usually some other idiot in one of 29 other GM's offices to make it work out your way. If you're patient enough.

Sheesh! Watching various attempts to throw the bones and come up with something that looks like maybe it might not suck, even with Jokers wild for the I-give-up fill-ins, is just depressing me. Seems at times like this is what the org is doing, too.

And this, in my opinion, is at the root of what went wrong for JR. The functional team that gelled into the Cup team, a team that had a defined role for each of its four lines and a no-name defense that faithfully played a system to a man, drifted away to the point that only Cam and Eric remain. And in its place we have a collection of players that seem to be little more than that...a collection of players.

And, mix and match them as you will, there's seemingly just no vision in place toward which we are building, that I have perceived. Instead we play dress-up in front of the mirror, trying on outfits to see if any of them might work.

Please. I want my team back. Don't care who the players are, but I want a legit top 6 with the second line prepared to play a strong two-way game and my most dangerous O pair on the first with a big body riding shotgun. I want a young secondary scoring line third that doubles as my second PP unit. I want a shift-disturbing, momentum-changing, puck-possession fourth line with two PK players to spell two PK'ers from the second line.

Everyone's over-slotted at least a half-slot on D. Fix that. Need to somehow figure out how to enter the zone occasionally in possession of the puck. Kinda important.

Goalieing? I like our Russian goalie. Effective and highly entertaining.

Goalie and D hold them to two, score three, win a lot of hockey games...best Picard voice...make it so.

I hope Chip or Luke will ask JR 'after watching the playoffs, do you really think the canes are in any shape at all to compete'?
Several things stick out, and sticks aren't one of them. There is no poking with your stick at the puck. Everything is body.
Motion - there is constant motion, you stand around and goals are scored against you, ala yesterday's jackets,forst two goals.

Sheesh! Watching various attempts to throw the bones and come up with something that looks like maybe it might not suck, even with Jokers wild for the I-give-up fill-ins, is just depressing me. Seems at times like this is what the org is doing, too.

And this, in my opinion, is at the root of what went wrong for JR. The functional team that gelled into the Cup team, a team that had a defined role for each of its four lines and a no-name defense that faithfully played a system to a man, drifted away to the point that only Cam and Eric remain. And in its place we have a collection of players that seem to be little more than that...a collection of players.

And, mix and match them as you will, there's seemingly just no vision in place toward which we are building, that I have perceived. Instead we play dress-up in front of the mirror, trying on outfits to see if any of them might work.

Please. I want my team back. Don't care who the players are, but I want a legit top 6 with the second line prepared to play a strong two-way game and my most dangerous O pair on the first with a big body riding shotgun. I want a young secondary scoring line third that doubles as my second PP unit. I want a shift-disturbing, momentum-changing, puck-possession fourth line with two PK players to spell two PK'ers from the second line.

Everyone's over-slotted at least a half-slot on D. Fix that. Need to somehow figure out how to enter the zone occasionally in possession of the puck. Kinda important.

Goalieing? I like our Russian goalie. Effective and highly entertaining.

Goalie and D hold them to two, score three, win a lot of hockey games...best Picard voice...make it so.

+1

I hope Chip or Luke will ask JR 'after watching the playoffs, do you really think the canes are in any shape at all to compete'?
Several things stick out, and sticks aren't one of them. There is no poking with your stick at the puck. Everything is body.
Motion - there is constant motion, you stand around and goals are scored against you, ala yesterday's jackets,forst two goals.

+1

Ya know what? I'm a fairly patient man, but we're 10 days out from the last game at the end of a ho9rrific season and best as I can tell, nobody above the rank of coach over at Edwards Mill Rd has said boo.

Sorry ... but that's just unacceptable.

Probably all waiting for the GM announcement, which apparently is delayed because Francis is in Finland (talking to Sami Kapanen and his son maybe?) I expect a presser next week to announce Francis is the new GM, some comments from Ronnie about how attitude adjustments are required to build a winning culture and then 6 weeks of relative silence leading up to the draft. Unless Francis has intentions of firing Muller and the coaching staff I don't think we are going to hear much of anything until late June when any pre-draft trades might occur.

Ya know what? I'm a fairly patient man, but we're 10 days out from the last game at the end of a ho9rrific season and best as I can tell, nobody above the rank of coach over at Edwards Mill Rd has said boo.

Sorry ... but that's just unacceptable.

They're circling the wagons. It appears they're seeking their own counsel rather than looking beyond the inner circle that created this train wreck. We all heard PK say that a little tweaking is all that is needed and by outward appearances, that is indeed what we're getting. Why hurry to do what you're already doing? :Yawn:

I know there was a rumor that Mike Velucci might be coming joining the org and perhaps coming on board as an assistant GM. His wife has just joined PK's newest company, Mad Dog Technologies, as CAO, having joined him from Compuware- as he sues Compuware for monies and stocks when he got fired.

Probably all waiting for the GM announcement, which apparently is delayed because Francis is in Finland (talking to Sami Kapanen and his son maybe?) I expect a presser next week to announce Francis is the new GM, some comments from Ronnie about how attitude adjustments are required to build a winning culture and then 6 weeks of relative silence leading up to the draft. Unless Francis has intentions of firing Muller and the coaching staff I don't think we are going to hear much of anything until late June when any pre-draft trades might occur.
Perhaps he wants Sami to be a full time Euro scout???

The only other thing that has to happen is signing any of the 2012 draftees not already under contract. The only eligible player from that draft class not under contract is Erik Karlsson, drafted in the 4th round. He played with Frolunda in the SEL last year. I don't remember what the signing rules for players who never played in North America. All of the players from the OHL; McGinn, Altshuller, Carrick are already signed. Di Giuseppe and Woods are signed. Jacob Slavin (Dman 6'0" 180) just finished his freshman year at Colorado College. Goalie Collin Olson (6'3" 199) left Ohio St. in November and went back to the USHL. He still has 2 years of college eligibility left, starting in January 2015. He could also go to the WHL. Brendan Collier (Forward 5'9" 168) just finished his freshman year at Boston U.

Perhaps he wants Sami to be a full time Euro scout???

That would be a change since our nominal Euro scout, Robert Kron lives in North Raleigh. He's not listed as the Euro scout on the club directory any more. He's lumped in with the other amateur scouts.

Francis is supposedly at the U-18 tournament, which I love to hear. If he stays for the gold medal game, that's this Sunday.

I never heard many stories about JR going on the road to eyeball draft worthy talent. And, yes Kasperi is on Team Finland.

But there is also a ton of other talent there that will be in this year's draft pool...and future years (U-18).

Plus, the networking is good. And did I mention Dineen is coaching Team Canada? :sarcasm

That would be an improvement since our nominal Euro scout, Robert Kron lives in North Raleigh. He's not listed as the Euro scout on the club directory any more. He's lumped in with the other amateur scouts.

FTFY...and yes, that would be an improvement.

They're circling the wagons. It appears they're seeking their own counsel rather than looking beyond the inner circle that created this train wreck. We all heard PK say that a little tweaking is all that is needed and by outward appearances, that is indeed what we're getting. Why hurry to do what you're already doing? :Yawn:

I hear you. Lots and lots still left to be revealed this off-season as the play unfolds.

But one of my many pithy sayings is that there is always more going on than meets the eye...always.

And so...I wait. And hope.

They're finding ways to sucker, er, ah, get people to invest in season tickets without spending money.
More marketing and propaganda is a lot cheaper than them investing in players.

Here's the thing ... if you're waiting for Francis to return from Finland, that's fine. I understand the logistics of the situation. But surely by now you've established at least the beginnings of the path forward from here. Why not share at least a little of framework so we have SOME thing to hang our hopes on between now and whenever GFH gets off their butts and takes some actual action?

Of course, that might mean another statement by Karmanos, which everybody in North America not named Mike Illich would rather avoid. So I guess I should shut up. I'm still baffled by the lack of quick, decisive moves at the end of the season. This trainwreck happened in slow motion guys. You KNOW you have to do SOMETHING ... right?

Francis is supposedly at the U-18 tournament, which I love to hear. If he stays for the gold medal game, that's this Sunday.

I never heard many stories about JR going on the road to eyeball draft worthy talent. And, yes Kasperi is on Team Finland.

But there is also a ton of other talent there that will be in this year's draft pool...and future years (U-18).

Plus, the networking is good. And did I mention Dineen is coaching Team Canada? :sarcasm

Among other things, I am very much hoping he is over there chatting it up with Dineen about coaching the Canes next season.

Francis is supposedly at the U-18 tournament, which I love to hear. If he stays for the gold medal game, that's this Sunday.....

Surely the Canes knew this was a planned travel due to the U-18 tourney. It should have been announced before the trip because as Elsker mentions this is a good networking opportunity and it would be better to have the GM title. If this is the move that is happening, there is no reason it should not have been announced within 24 hours of the season ending. Just another head scratching move by the Canes organization.

Back