• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT 11/22 7:00PM @ PNC, Rangers at Hurricanes

Look ... adding Williams back into the mix was a good first step. He's not that big, but he plays a gritty game. Always has done. But yeah, we needed another big body in the top 9 this off season and didn't get one. I'm not even sure we tried. And instead of adding yet another puck mover in the back in the form of TVR, it sure would have been nice to have added a thumper. Especially knowing that we were likely to be promoting Fleury ... who has a decent frame but is built like a toothpick.

And all that gets me thinking about all the stuff we didn't get done thing offseason and that means I've got to stop now before I get depressed. Again.

Look at the bright side... We didn't dig a massive hole in October/November AND, we've not played particularly well in the process of not digging that hole. So there's a lot of room for improvement with the given roster not to mention roster additions.

Especially knowing that we were likely to be promoting Fleury ... who has a decent frame but is built like a toothpick.

Supposedly this kid is hiding 221 pounds somewhere. If you believe the Canes roster stats, he is the 'heaviest' NHL player we have (Jordan is listed at 220). Only Kanzig (247), Gauthier (225) and Zykov (224) are heavier than Fleury's alleged 221.

The Canes starting six on defense as it stands today seems to never want to play a heavy, punishing game. I thought that Fleury would bring more of a physical element to the mix with his size but that really has not happened much. I think McKeown brings the most promise in that regard and I soon hope they waive Dahlbeck and allow McKeown to be that sixth or seventh defenseman to provide more upside and depth back there.

On McKeown, I really wouldn't mind if he was given a chance to take over TVR's starting spot. Not that TVR hasn't been ok, he's been better than the 3rd pair RD black hole we had all last season. But I think McKeown is as good, if not better than TVR is right now.

I put the chances of that happening sans injury at just about zero, but I think its worth at least a thought. If this team is at that playoff line come the trade deadline, I unfortunately see McKeown as trade bait and TVR continuing on here. I hope that doesn't happen because I think McKeown has a bigger upside than TVR does. TVR is a pending RFA looking at probably making at least $2 million per on a short deal (if not more) starting next season. I would rather not pay TVR, trade him, and simply have McKeown take over the 3rd pair RD spot at some point.

Supposedly this kid is hiding 221 pounds somewhere. If you believe the Canes roster stats, he is the 'heaviest' NHL player we have (Jordan is listed at 220). Only Kanzig (247), Gauthier (225) and Zykov (224) are heavier than Fleury's alleged 221.

OK ... first off, those weights are horse manure if they say that Fleury is anywhere close to as heavy as Gauthier. I've seen them standing next to each other and that dog won't hunt. He MIGHT weigh 221 in full gear ... MAYBE.

Either way, he plays like he weighs 175, so who really cares how they list the kid?

On McKeown, I really wouldn't mind if he was given a chance to take over TVR's starting spot. Not that TVR hasn't been ok, he's been better than the 3rd pair RD black hole we had all last season. But I think McKeown is as good, if not better than TVR is right now.

I put the chances of that happening sans injury at just about zero, but I think its worth at least a thought. If this team is at that playoff line come the trade deadline, I unfortunately see McKeown as trade bait and TVR continuing on here. I hope that doesn't happen because I think McKeown has a bigger upside than TVR does. TVR is a pending RFA looking at probably making at least $2 million per on a short deal (if not more) starting next season. I would rather not pay TVR, trade him, and simply have McKeown take over the 3rd pair RD spot at some point.

I agree on all counts. I can see this management team preferring TVR for the long run, and frankly I find it ridiculous. McKeown adds some beef and is a crease clearer ... which we clearly don't have in the back, really. TVR is yet another third tier puck mover who kinda sorta plays some defense. If he was a better passer or shooter then fine, but he's mediocre with the puck at best. I keep hoping he'll grow some teeth in his own zone to make up for the lack of actual offensive threat, but thus far not so much. And BTW ... that's basically the same thing every single Hawks fan said about him last season.

Another thing ... Bean is coming eventually and he's a legit offensive D-man. We're going to REALLY need some guys other than Slavin and Pesce to suck it up and actually defend their own zone when that guy hits the roster to take full advantage. But I'd bet my shorts that we're going to have basically this same collection of guys with only minor changes when Bean rolls up and wins a spot in fall camp in either 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:
Not sure why you're thinking we'd trade McKeown and not TVR... Especially given Bean in the pipeline - if we think he's legit, then we're not going to have a slot for as many PMDs as we will have... So I hope you're wrong about that - unless McKeown brings us a #1C... which he won't...

I'm just thinking that the Canes are going to be sitting there at the trade deadline, 1 point out of a playoff spot with a couple games in hand, and Ronnie is going to make a trade for a vet scorer at the deadline to try to push us over the top at the expense of something like McKeown or a 1st or 2nd round pick. I hope I'm completely wrong and that Peters and Ronnie are seeing what we see out there. TVR = passable 3rd pair guy, but nothing great. He would make a fine #7 Dman somewhere else next season. As JB correctly stated, TVR isn't anything more than average across the board. Again, better than the crap we had out there in that spot last season, but not a player you want to settle in with in that role.

I'm just thinking that the Canes are going to be sitting there at the trade deadline, 1 point out of a playoff spot with a couple games in hand, and Ronnie is going to make a trade for a vet scorer at the deadline to try to push us over the top at the expense of something like McKeown or a 1st or 2nd round pick. I hope I'm completely wrong and that Peters and Ronnie are seeing what we see out there. TVR = passable 3rd pair guy, but nothing great. He would make a fine #7 Dman somewhere else next season. As JB correctly stated, TVR isn't anything more than average across the board. Again, better than the crap we had out there in that spot last season, but not a player you want to settle in with in that role.

Frankly, if they trade a guy like McKeown they are dumber than they seem to be in more ways than one. TVR is nothing special, a fine third pairing guy and a warm body, that's it! Dahlbeck was the expansion draft fodder that enjoys the press box snacks and that's it. Carrick and McKeown are the closest D in the system that actually have some snarl and would bring a physical element, but we all know how much Peters and Francis value that...snicker.

This team continues to mystify when it comes to adding a well rounded mix of players, some areas continue to be ignored despite the obvious need!

Carrick or McKeown would be better options as a third pairing over TVR, bumping TVR down to 7th spot. In my eyes anyways. And I would give the nudge to Carrick first, and be ready to swap with McKeown too

Carrick or McKeown would be better options as a third pairing over TVR, bumping TVR down to 7th spot. In my eyes anyways. And I would give the nudge to Carrick first, and be ready to swap with McKeown too

The only issue with swapping Carrick and TVR is that either he, Hanifin or Fleury will have to play their off side. We'd have 4 lefties and 2 righties (Faulk and Pesce).

And that will be further complicated down the road if/when Jake Bean is ready. You have Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury already on the left side.

Carrick at this stage is probably never going to be a regular for the Canes so you wonder how long might be too long to hold onto him. Nice depth guy to have in the system, he's probably better than some teams' 3rd pair LDs

Back