• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flyers 11/28 7:30

She seemed very enamored with the more famous names. Like almost expressing surprise that DeAngelo wasn’t in the lineup. Talking about Burns being the leader of our D corp. some point she made about Lemieux. Her discussion on Kane and that he should probably be on the power play and how exciting it is that he’s going to be playing. That just seems unprepared for a team she’s not organically familiar with. Or it could be talking about the players the casual hockey fan has heard of. In any case I thought it bettter than Tripp and Mike.
To be fair, to AJ ... if you take away the specific names, you just gave a functional description of every color analyst I've heard on an ESPN broadcast. They are obviously coached to talk only about household name players and players who are familiar to big market team fans, even if it makes them sound slightly unhinged. She's just a bit less prone to wander off script than some of the others. Pretty much every network analyst is on the same page about Kane, for example. You don't get any real conversation about him until you get to the print/website reporters.

And FWIW, with all the above being the case across pretty much all non-RSN television coverage, it's small wonder that so many fans don't trust expanded stats. The Canadian networks are slightly less frantic about being marketers instead of analysts, but they lean to the same star manufacturing/worship crap as well. If all you hear is how Patrick Kane is still a great player just looking for the right fit to go back to burning out the red light, then the beat reporter pointing out that he was the single worst defensive player in hockey over the last two seasons and that Kane would have to score 60 goals to make up the difference ... well, HE'S the one who sounds unhinged.

Last edited:
Regarding Mleczko, IIRC, she was a color analyst on MSG for Islanders games. Most of ESPN’s color analysts have other gigs, so she’s not unique in that regard. If that’s still the case, she probably spends most of her time prepping for those games and speaks only in generalities when she has a national game, especially for a team the Islanders haven’t played yet. But the Canes and Islanders played on 11/2, TDA was in the lineup, Pesce was out. The Canes went 1/3 on the PP and gave up a shortie and TDA wasn’t on the ice for either goal. But if she’s not working for MSG anymore, then it’s just poor preparation.

Tomorrow’s game is also on ESPN+ and Steve (And it’s strange but true. Folks, the Carolina Hurricanes are going to the Stanley Cup Finals) Levy and Parm are on the call.

She was less unhinged than Mike and Tripp. I’m sure KK saw that he had a path through the defenders legs to the net through the corner of his left eye and that basically the game comes down to winning faceoffs and making good line changes.

He didn't go deHaan on his playing time
Different situations, IMO. I think Lemieux’s situation is more analogous to Stepan and Stastny. Guys that came in knowing they’d be 4th line at best and might spend time in the press box.

BTW ... shout out to Kochetkov for turning in two perfectly respectable performances in his last two starts. Keep it up, kid.
I hope they keep going with him and use Raanta as his backup from now on. I think a vote in confidence like that is what he needs to be able to take the next step in his development.

I hope they keep going with him and use Raanta as his backup from now on. I think a vote in confidence like that is what he needs to be able to take the next step in his development.
I'm kinda thinking about the same thing. And I have to wonder about dropping the PTO on Halak. He could be kinda useful about now.

I'm kinda thinking about the same thing. And I have to wonder about dropping the PTO on Halak. He could be kinda useful about now.
RBA said it was more Halak’s decision but it was a mutual thing. He was living in a hotel away from his family.

Halak, from what I've seen, didn't really train in the off season. So he would have been trying to play his way into shape on a PTO, which would mean just practice time ... which is far from ideal. He's by far the most accomplished guy who's available on the free agent market, but it sounds like it was a long shot that it would work out. Plus, we know exactly nothing more about Freddie than when they announced he would be out. If there was no hope for his return this season you'd have to think the Canes would have done something by now, if for no other reason that their 3rd goalie is currently playing in the ECHL ... and not exactly tearing it up.

I get that, but they need to be careful with him. Extended runs have not been kind to Kochetkov in the past, and the Canes are really in no position to push that envelope too far. The last thing they need is his confidence getting shattered again. I think they'll try to balance the starts to not push Raanta's fragile body or Koochie's fragile head too hard.

Back