• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Leafs 12/19 2:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes play a matinee in TO.

The Leafs have hit a rough patch, posting a 3-4 record so far in December and only scoring 10 goals. Auston Matthews hasn't played since December 9 and is out with an upper body injury. It looks like Nikita Zaitsev will also miss the game. Matthews still leads the team with 26 points, although JVR has passed him with 15 goals. Mitch Marner has 18 assists. Our old friend Ron Hainsey has 2 goals, 12 assists and is 3rd on the team in ice time per game. Their PP is 9th at 20.6%, their PK is 14th at 81.9% but tied for 27th at home at 75%.

The Canes are looking to extend a season long 3 game winning streak. With the early start there won't be a morning skate, so no word on lines or who goes in goal.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Barring injury or illness, the only question I see for the lineup today is Jooris or PDG. I would be surprised to not see Darling in net.

Both the Leafs and Canes are kind of all over the map in terms of level of play and results. Add in the odd Tuesday start time and this game is almost impossible to predict.

Last edited:
Barring injury or illness, the only question I see for the lineup today is Jooris or PDG. I would be surprised to not see Darling in net.

Both the Leafs and Canes are kind of all over the map in terms of level of play and results. Add in the odd Tuesday start time and this game is almost impossible to predict.

Maybe Fleury back in for Dahlbeck too.

What gives with the start time? Tuesday after Christmas I can see, but why today?

What gives with the start time? Tuesday after Christmas I can see, but why today?

Today is the 100th anniversary of the first NHL and first Leafs (then the Toronto Arenas) game. It's Maple Leafs Day in Toronto and they're encouraging season ticket holders to use some of their tickets to bring kids or to donate their game to the Maple Leafs Foundation, which will provide free tickets for kids. It's a cool event in TO.

Last edited:
Today is the 100th anniversary of the first NHL and first Leafs (then the Toronto Arenas) game. It's Maple Leafd Day in Toronto and they're encouraging season ticket holders to use some of their tickets to bring kids or to donate their game to the Maple Leafs Foundation, which will provide free tickets for kids. It's a cool event in TO.

The Leafs will also be wearing Toronto Arenas jerseys.

https://tipofthetower.com/2017/09/1...-twitter-reacts-to-the-toronto-arenas-jersey/

As a working from home employee, a Leafs fans since birth growing up in Southwestern Ontario and a Canes fan living in the Triangle...this really is one of the best early Christmas gifts I could ever get! Tuesday afternoon hockey with Leafs and Canes is pretty awesome for this guy!!! :thumbsup(22):

Jeff O'Neil on TSN radio discussing the reality of Carolina's situation. The margin of error being so fine. And that we're a classic example of better to be really bad than bad. Citing our finishing 9th and 10th always and having only one top 5 pick (he says is a miss) in the 8 years we missed the playoffs. A team of really good players but nobody really with elite level talent. and that Darling is proving he ISN'T a #1 or franchise level goaltender.
I would post the link, but I think it will be blocked (unless you go by proxy)

Three goals on six shots. Even if this isn't 100% on Darling, Peters should pull him to wake up the team.

ditto on goal #3. he made 2 saves and slavin watches the puck hang out for the third and final attempt. Wake up boys!
Sissy soft defense by Slavin on one goal and a giveaway and a sissy soft play by Hanafin on the shortie. Darling had some help.

Back