• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Pens 1/23 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes try to put Sunday's disaster behind them with a visit to Pittsburgh.

The Canes and Pens both find themselves on the outside looking in to the playoff race. The Pens have 53 points in 49 games, tied with the Rangers, behind on the tie breaker. They lost 2 of 3 on a California trip but are 6-4 in their last 10 games. One of those losses was to the Canes, 4-0 in Pittsburgh on 1/4. The Canes also have a 2-1 win in Raleigh on 12/29.

Brett Pesce practiced yesterday and might be back in the lineup. Roland McKeown was sent back to Charlotte yesterday. We'll see the lineup at an 11:30 morning skate.

Fox Sports Southeast for TV. Check you listings.

If it's true that folks learn better from their mistakes, then Roland McKeown had a heck of a learning curve on Sunday.

If it's true that folks learn better from their mistakes, then Roland McKeown had a heck of a learning curve on Sunday.

That goal by his man where he didn't tie up the stick was a direct result of a terrible play by Rask that left a complete scramble situation in our zone.

That goal by his man where he didn't tie up the stick was a direct result of a terrible play by Rask that left a complete scramble situation in our zone.

And, giving him the benefit of the doubt, he was actually in a decent position, just tried to block the stick rather than lift it. A slight tweak and he would have saved the canes on that one

And, giving him the benefit of the doubt, he was actually in a decent position, just tried to block the stick rather than lift it. A slight tweak and he would have saved the canes on that one

And it was compounded by McGinn letting Miller waltz untouched into the circle after he got by Rask. McGinn skated away from him toward the slot, rather than engage him.

Needless to say this is a game the Canes really need to have. Whatever we cooked up in the first 2 games against the Pens we need to do that again.

Looks like Pesce is back and Ward in goal.

Teravainen-Staal-Lindholm
McGinn-Rask-Williams
Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Kruger-Di Giuseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-Faulk
Hanifin-van Riemsdyk

Ward
Darling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The glaring offensive hole left by the Aho injury will be magnified tonight against the Pens. A few more losses soon to the teams the Canes are chasing for that wildcard spot will be the dagger, so this game tonight looks like an almost must have.

By FAR his worst showing in an NHL game. Previously he had been at least solid. Then again, EVERYTHING was loose and screwy in that game so ...

Are we a team that's just afraid to play a body? Or is stickwork the new NHL?

I see plenty of other teams playing the body. Not like the bang, bang days of the 90s but not like the Euro poke and hope nonsense Carolina seems to encourage in their D.

How does sissy hockey stick around with new players, new coaches, new GM, etc? Where does it come from?

This wasn't a sissy team for most of the 90s and 00s. That team that won the Cup wasn't playing sissy hockey. Nor was the team that went to the Eastern Finals in 09. Since then ... look at the players we've stocked the roster with and tell me how we expected anything different. Talk to your GMs. The culture around Raleigh is on them, for both good and ill. We knew full well that Francis had been wired as an executive by Rutherford and a big question at the time he was hired was "was he going to be his own man or was this just going to be JR Lite?" I think you know the answer at this point.

And please don't tell me how much different Jimmy has been in Pittsburgh like he's the only one making personnel decisions up there. He's not.

With Aho out, the lack of offensive firepower on that lineup is just scary bad. Especially until skinny returns from “walkabout”. Pray for a beauty from Wardo and maybe we get a lucky goal. Has all the makings of a blowout.

Looks like Pesce is back and Ward in goal.

Teravainen-Staal-Lindholm
McGinn-Rask-Williams
Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Kruger-Di Giuseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-Faulk
Hanifin-van Riemsdyk

Ward
Darling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back