• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT MAR 10: Pens @ Leafs

Heh...Umpy even managed to tie up Leo's stick on the Crosby goal when Leo was coming down to help Kadri

Really good third by the Leafs until that lucky goal. Pens could have had 8 or 9 penalties in the neutral zone before that EN.

Agreed. Babcock went to him too much, he should have been grateful for what he was getting under twenty minutes.

It was unnecessary as well. We had a guy like Borgman in house who could soak up some of that PK time, Gardiner has always had sneaky good PK numbers.

I'm cool with Ron getting top PK minutes, but there's no way that a guy his age should be leading the ****ing league by a landslide in PK time.

We have a really good hockey team. Thanks to the Shanahan team, makes my life a lot more pleasant. I have for too long relied on this sports team for my medication of sports pleasure. So thanks Shanahan. Its all developed excellently since you took over.

Good on ya Shanny.

Killer93. Zaitsev is a very, very nervous player right now. Rinat Valiev would be a relief to the team rather than Roman Polak. No one on a very good team, wants to see a nervous guy, a scaredy cat to speak. playing on their defence. So yeah, a limited, getting into form, Roman Polak, is much better than Zaitsev now. Roman is getting into the form he was when we played Washington. Excellent form. Playing within himself.

And Roman Polak nervous? Not of much. The guy takes puck to the face, guy is the modern day Bower, lol, he just doesn't have the Bower smile. Heck, who has the Bower smile? Cept Johnny.

Last edited:
Yeah, Hainsey has been outstanding, but jeez, give the guy a spell. In fact, spell him a lot, if he lasts, sign him for a year at a time. Guy really has some skills. He can skate much better than I thought. Shoot much better than I thought.

Babcock has been spelling our kids well.

I have a suggestion Mike. Spell Hyman, hainsey, Andersen as well. They are over 25. But I have a sad omen for the team. Dress Zaitsev and lose. Guy is just terrified of the big show right now. He should play in the AHL. Borgman and Holl should not be under a lousy player like this. Its embarassing.

Without Zaitsev, we crush the Stanley Cup Champs. Not even a contest. Play him next game and ughhhh. We are going to have one guy ECHL, playing on the team..

Another aside. Plekanec, is a good defensive player as long as he doesn't get called for his flagrant stick. I see him being a penalty, if the refs call things right, every shift. Guy relies on his stick too much. He could get us into a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
We beat one of the hottest teams in the league minus our best player. Great night overall, a bit of sloppy play but they will clean it up. Hoping Mattbews is back next Saturday

Zaitsev has struggled but cmon! Polak is a great #7, nothing more
Well, the truth is somewhere in between imo.

Zaitsev has struggled this season, but he as a solid #4 last season for us prior to his injury towards the end of the season. The problems with Zaitsev this season has been between the ears more than anything. HIs timing is off, he hesitates too long and his decision making is poor.

Polak, OTOH, has actually played better as of late, like he did last season as the team was gearing up for playoff run, and prior to his injury Polak was one of our best dman in that series vs WSH. But in a game like tonight, you saw what he brings to the table - physicality, getting under the skin of Crosby and Malkin, standing up for his teammates ... BUT his lack of speed vs the Pens was also on full display. His poor puck skill also showed, but Freddie bailed him out a few plays.

I feel Polak can be a solid #5 for us in the playoff if he again steps up like he did last year (without the injury, hopefully). OTOH we still need Zaitsev or Dermot to step up big time and take that #4 spot and run with it, because if it comes down to Polak filling that role I don't like our chances.

I dunno, lets let Matthews have all the time in the world. If this guy turns into a gym rat, so much the better. I hate the gym myself, I can relate to the guy on one level at least.

Back