• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT NOV 16: NJD @ TOR, 7:00 TSN

Leafs 3rd in the NHL with 26 points, 1 point behind St. Louis for second overall behind just Tampa.

Hasn't it always been a mantra of those who love defensive hockey that a key test is teams winning low scoring games?

1-0, baby.

As usual with the Leafs this year, red blob in front of opponent's net, no such blob in front of Freddy.

4e4b181c-6c28-436c-8e87-aecbc5bde269.png

Yeah, that chart matches up pretty well with what I saw in the game.

The Leafs did a pretty good job boxing the Devils out. And Freddie also gets credit for keeping tight control on his rebounds all night. The Leafs, meanwhile, seemed to be around Schneider's crease all night, and he made a bunch of highlight-reel saves.

Felt like one of those games where the Leafs were getting unlucky and missing by inches. Schnieder was great, but they also missed some wide open nets. It could have easily been a 2/3-0 game.

The real crazy stat is the Leafs had 25 shots, but 36 scoring chances. I don't know how often that happens, but it seems crazy to have 50% more scoring chances than shots. For comparison the Devils had 42 shots and 33 scoring chances.

Andersen was also great, and that OT 5 on 3 kill was huge. That was what really tipped the Corsi battle in the Devils favour, but Andersen and co came up big there.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;ROfDwI9GyW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfDwI9GyW0[/video]

Was just looking over the Nylander OT goal (I know this was brought up) and what was Hall doing? He skated right by Willy like they were teammates. Why didn't he attempt to stop him at all? Was odd.

Was just looking over the Nylander OT goal (I know this was brought up) and what was Hall doing? He skated right by Willy like they were teammates. Why didn't he attempt to stop him at all? Was odd.
Yeah. I just rewatched to see if maybe he didn't at least try thinking the clock was about to run out but that doesn't seem to be the case. He was just looking around for his man I think.

Nylander was not his man, Hall was covering the trailing defenceman I believe. You can see his man enter the zone after the goal is scored.

Yeah he went to cover Gardiner, but Hall is also very Kessel-esq. He could have made it harder on Nylander crossing the middle.

The Devils actually remind me alot of the Kessel Leafs, only way better coached and with a way better goalie. Lots of talent, but also lots of plays off the rush and soft plays with and without the puck.

Nylander was not his man, Hall was covering the trailing defenceman I believe. You can see his man enter the zone after the goal is scored.

Yeah he looked to his left at Gardiner for a brief second then casually skated a half circle to his right doing absolutely nothing while Nylander skated through the center ice in NJ zone and shot on net. He was literally just floating out there for the last 10 seconds before that goal. He never covered Gardiner as he was skating away from him when Nylander scored.

eh, 3-on-3 you just have to stick man on man.

leafs got caught a few times switching and the devs got great chances out of it.

Back