• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT PreSeason #2 Sens@Leafs

On Gardiner, this is before tonight's game:

Q: "in the two seasons you've had Jake Gardiner how have you seen his game progress as he gets up to 400 games at this level?"

Babcock: "Its just night and day i mean theres been no more bigger change in any player on the team then him. hes gone from a guy who didnt have confidence to maybe our best d with and without the puck. I know people dont like to think of him like that but hes that good. Hes a good good player and hes got a lot of confidence hes smart, got elite hockey sense, great edges, gets the puck going. good player. "

The biggest indictment of Randy Carlyle as a coach is that he hated Jake Gardiner's guts.

I mean, he benched Gardiner in the playoffs in favour of Mark ****ing Fraser.

Holl has no hands whatsoever.

Bozak with a tremendous backchecking effort on the pp. There's a reason I don't hate this guy like I used to.

Even though he had an ugly blueline fumble, I don't think we should write off Marincin just yet.

Even though he had an ugly blueline fumble, I don't think we should write off Marincin just yet.
I dunno. I think his time is up.

And it's as much because of the guys coming up behind him as it is about his own play.

He looks a lot better than I recall. He's on a very short leash but if he plays well through the preseason, he'll likely be #7.

He looks a lot better than I recall. He's on a very short leash but if he plays well through the preseason, he'll likely be #7.
That might be his only saving grace. That he hangs on to a spot on the team because they won't want any of Borgman, Rosen or Dermott sitting on the bench if they don't have a spot in the top six.

But then Babcock may just give that role to Polak instead.

preseason is tough enough to watch but these penalties are making it impossible.

summary from those of you who watched? would be interested to hear how zeke's bolded folks performed.

also, that's very high praise for Jake from Babs. what a change from the Ron & Randy days...

the faceoff penalties are a joke, really.

Anyways ...

- Rosen and Borgman look like NHL-D, which is great news for us. At worst, they're stop gap until Dermott / Liljegren are ready. I won't write off Dermott for this season just yet but if everything else being equal, the vets take the job imo

- Marincin sure isn't helping himself. After 1 game, I'd say Rosen, Borgman and Dermott are all playing ahead of Carrick and Marincin for the last 2 spots on D

- It is sad to see Brown in all likelihood is bumped down to the 4th line and will play with Moore and Martin. Of the 3 players - Hyman, Brown and Komarov, Brown is clearly the most offensively talented player, but he will end up playing with the least offensive linemates and play the least minutes. It just sucks.

- Sosh and Kapanen don't really have a shot at the NHL team for opening night, but hopefully at some point in the season roster spots will become available to them. Neither has impressed so far at camp, but both should be at least able to hold down 4th line spot on the big club.

I suspect for all the crying about Brown on the 4th line, that Babcock will be sure to give him opportunities up the line-up during games - as well as special teams minutes. He's not going to be an 8min/game player.

Back