• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs acquire Jonathan Drouin

Maybe you trade Galchenyuk for Mckinnon and reunite this dynamic duo for a few years! ?

why would they trade McKinnon?? younger/better with more upside and can play centre. Duchene is the expendable one.

Exciting and scary trade , all in one. It is very nice to add a top 6 (potentially elite) forward, without giving up a current "roster" player. Though of course we know he was slotted in to play likely top 4 next year. We can only pray he doesnt end up being a Norris calibre dman.

I was in favor of using this chip to get a top 6 forward last year......why didnt he do it at that time when we clearly needed it ??

you're assuming Vegas claims him -- otherwise it's a moot point. I don't like Charlatan overall, but he actually doesn't care about explaining things to the media (which is a good thing)

That's not it at all.

It's purely about the how it looks, the optics. Just like PK Subban wasn't the reason Nashville got to the finals this year, the optics of him getting there on the very first year makes Bergevin look like a fool, especially when you consider that Bergevin acquired him for his leadership and Nashville didn't miss a beat without him, they actually improved. The same thing would apply re: Shaw, how do you justify the price you paid to acquire him when you are allowing him to be freely taken without any potential return?

The potential optics alone make it that he'll be protected.

I really hope they still sign Radulov.

Max
Radulov
Drouin
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Lehkonen

All solid top 6 players

That's not it at all.

It's purely about the how it looks, the optics. Just like PK Subban wasn't the reason Nashville got to the finals this year, the optics of him getting there on the very first year makes Bergevin look like a fool. The same thing would apply re: Shaw, how do you justify the price you paid to acquire him when you are allowing him to be freely taken without any potential return?

The potential optics alone make it that he'll be protected.

my point is Bergy has never shown himself to be the guy who cares about optics. you don't trade the biggest star in a generation if you care about optics.

It'd be nice to see Chuckie/Drouin play together. Drouin is more of a playmaker type winger. Chuckie can score the goals and figure out the backcheck

My initial reaction is that I like the deal.

I've liked Drouin for awhile now and he can do some magical things with the puck that will definitely turn into goals for a team desperate for offense.

Sergachev looks like he will be a solid D-man for many years to come but I don't see him as a superstar defenseman. The problem is that the Habs defense is already poor so Sergachev was likely more needed in Montreal than your average up an coming prospect however MB can find suitable D-men much easier than finding a top 6 player like Drouin.

I still would move AG if he can bring back another top player... I feel the drama with AG on the Habs can't sustain another year of the same thing. Besides, who else do the Habs have to trade that can bring in a big name? Sergachev pretty much was our only bankable prospect so any further moves for top players will require taking players from the current Habs roster and after going out early in the 1st round... I'm okay with that.

Have to at least say I'm impressed MB is doing something because I was fearful we would have the same line-up in October as we did in April except for some minor changes to the 4th line.

Back