• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs trade PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

Not saying they are. Just saying your team could be the Bumfalo Sabres sitting in dead last in the Atlantic Division, but instead your team sits atop the Atlantic Division and not only that has the most points in the entire league to this point.

So they have made more good moves than bad moves.... doesn't mean they are perfect and the bad moves can't be critiqued.

Seeing as we paid both Markov and Hamrlik that summer, we could have signed both... we choose not to.

We actually made an offer to Souray but he refused as he was upset he wasn't made more of a priority after his sensational season.

So they have made more good moves than bad moves.... doesn't mean they are perfect and the bad moves can't be critiqued.
No team is perfect, but I certainly don't see a bunch of threads on here how the Habs are sitting atop the Atlantic Division. I think fans are quick to gripe about things, but it is easy to forget about praising the team when they are doing good like sitting in 1st place in the division. Sure it is the fans right to do whatever the hell they want to do, but do it both ways.

No team is perfect, but I certainly don't see a bunch of threads on here how the Habs are sitting atop the Atlantic Division. I think fans are quick to gripe about things, but it is easy to forget about praising the team when they are doing good like sitting in 1st place in the division. Sure it is the fans right to do whatever the hell they want to do, but do it both ways.

The thing is we get little happiness from sitting at the top of a division or even the league, we only care about winning championships so we pay more attention to the foundations and the projection of success rather than the current results.

The thing is we get little happiness from sitting at the top of a division or even the league, we only care about winning championships so we pay more attention to the foundations and the projection of success rather than the current results.
This reality is though there are 30 teams in the league and next year 31 teams. Only 1 of those teams can come out on top each season. The odds are stacked against your team and each team right off the bat of the season. That is why I also think it is really important to become happy over those smaller steps throughout the season because if you just hang everything on that one championship you are most likely going to be let down almost every year.

As for the progression of success each team has it's ups and downs. Once the Buffalo Sabres were winning Championships and now they are rebuilding. Once the Detroit Red Wings were dominant and now they are getting old and have to go through that process as well. It may finally look like the Edmonton Oilers and the Blue Jackets are about to emerge as playoff teams. Each team goes through it all the time.

This reality is though there are 30 teams in the league and next year 31 teams. Only 1 of those teams can come out on top each season. The odds are stacked against your team and each team right off the bat of the season. That is why I also think it is really important to become happy over those smaller steps throughout the season because if you just hang everything on that one championship you are most likely going to be let down almost every year.

As for the progression of success each team has it's ups and downs. Once the Buffalo Sabres were winning Championships and now they are rebuilding. Once the Detroit Red Wings were dominant and now they are getting old and have to go through that process as well. It may finally look like the Edmonton Oilers and the Blue Jackets are about to emerge as playoff teams. Each team goes through it all the time.

I don't except my team to win the championship every year, that unrealistic, but what I do expect is seeing some plans designed to win one in the near future, or a bit longer in case of a full rebuild.

We're not in a bad spot but we still need about 2 key pieces to be a serious contender.

Sorry to pick the one error in your post and focus on it... but the Sabres never won a championship.

As for the rest. We're all aware of how the NHL is mostly cyclical but that doesn't mean that any passionate fan won't critique the team and their moves. There may be the odd doom and gloom fan here but most of us criticize and praise many individual moves but we're not completely bi-polar depending on the move.

There's been like 3-4 moves over the past couple decades that have generated a ton of criticism, but we're still here and we'll always be Hab fans.

Sorry to pick the one error in your post and focus on it... but the Sabres never won a championship.

As for the rest. We're all aware of how the NHL is mostly cyclical but that doesn't mean that any passionate fan won't critique the team and their moves. There may be the odd doom and gloom fan here but most of us criticize and praise many individual moves but we're not completely bi-polar depending on the move.

There's been like 3-4 moves over the past couple decades that have generated a ton of criticism, but we're still here and we'll always be Hab fans.

apparently if you hated the Roy trade, you were just a fanboy of the player, not the team

apparently if you hated the Roy trade, you were just a fanboy of the player, not the team

Yep... real fans just accept every trade and don't complain. We could trade Price for Budaj and we should just be happy about it cause hey, Budaj is a Hab and Price is just somebody that we used to know.

Habs are certainly not in a bad spot at all. Actually I see them in a better spot at the moment than my Wild. I however trust my Wild organization to get it together and improve the team in the future as I know all the Habs fans do as well.

Sorry, the Sabres didn't win they just made it there and were great for awhile and now are rebuilding, but my point still stands.

I don't discount that any of you are true fans because hell you are on a hockey forum posting about your team. I just feel in general that fans(not only all of you) find it easier to criticize quickly than to give praise of the team. I imagine just being here and talking about the team shows interest in the team and that is a positive thing, but I just think it is much easier to gripe about your team than to praise things that they do well.

I am certainly not saying that any of you are not fans of your team because you are criticizing this move because I do feel that fans have the right to do what ever they want to express their feelings about the team. I will just find it hilarious if Weber starts to heat up which most likely he will and a lot of this will become hush hush.

The Roy trade was a bad hockey trade but there were plenty of fans who only hated it because they were Roy fans before they were Habs fans. We can debate the pros and cons of the Subban trade but you have to admit that a lot of the anti-management vitriol was about the cult of personality that Subban has created with his fans and had nothing whatsoever to do with whether Weber was a fair return or not.

Yep... real fans just accept every trade and don't complain. We could trade Price for Budaj and we should just be happy about it cause hey, Budaj is a Hab and Price is just somebody that we used to know.

You can look at this sort of thing both way actually. Take my team the Minnesota Wild. Captain Koivu isn't getting any younger that is for sure and say they decide to trade him to lets say to Montreal for Galchenyuk. I guarantee you that there would be many fans in The State of Hockey that would be upset about that trade. Koivu is a lifetime Wild player and fans want him to retire as such.

You can look at this sort of thing both way actually. Take my team the Minnesota Wild. Captain Koivu isn't getting any younger that is for sure and say they decide to trade him to lets say to Montreal for Galchenyuk. I guarantee you that there would be many fans in The State of Hockey that would be upset about that trade. Koivu is a lifetime Wild player and fans want him to retire as such.

They should trade Koivu to the Habs so that the francophone media can complain that he refuses to speak French.

Habs are certainly not in a bad spot at all. Actually I see them in a better spot at the moment than my Wild. I however trust my Wild organization to get it together and improve the team in the future as I know all the Habs fans do as well.

Sorry, the Sabres didn't win they just made it there and were great for awhile and now are rebuilding, but my point still stands.

I don't discount that any of you are true fans because hell you are on a hockey forum posting about your team. I just feel in general that fans(not only all of you) find it easier to criticize quickly than to give praise of the team. I imagine just being here and talking about the team shows interest in the team and that is a positive thing, but I just think it is much easier to gripe about your team than to praise things that they do well.

I am certainly not saying that any of you are not fans of your team because you are criticizing this move because I do feel that fans have the right to do what ever they want to express their feelings about the team. I will just find it hilarious if Weber starts to heat up which most likely he will and a lot of this will become hush hush.

This definitely isn't your typical forum either though. We have a few of those whiner types who just criticise everything and are never happy. For the most part we have very knowledgable and level headed posters here. 99% of moves here are met with an adequate amount of criticism and or praise in my opinion. Check back to the Radulov signing, the Shaw trade and any other moves and the response is generally positive with a spattering of negativity.

This trade however was extremely polarizing, and rightfully so. We traded our 27 year old superstar dman away for a 31 year old superstar dman with better a reputation but worse advanced stats. We have old school fans who don't buy into advanced stats and they buy into the "leadership" stuff and they prefer a good ol' rugged Canadian boy who clears the crease and punishes opponents like Weber. Then there are the fans who buy into the possession and shot suppression guy like Subban.

Our opinions on the trade itself won't waive over the course of hot and cold streaks. We all prefer certain types of players and what we feel their impact on the game is. That doesn't change cause Weber doesn't score in 5 games and has a few ugly turnovers or because he scores 8 points in 5 games and looks awesome. Or Subban does the same in Nashville.

It also doesn't mean that the people that disliked the trade don't REALLY like Weber and hope he has as much success as possible or that the people who loved the trade didn't REALLY like Subban while he was with the Habs. And it most certainly doesn't mean that any of us are lesser or bigger fans of the Habs than we were before the trade.

This definitely isn't your typical forum either though. We have a few of those whiner types who just criticise everything and are never happy. For the most part we have very knowledgable and level headed posters here. 99% of moves here are met with an adequate amount of criticism and or praise in my opinion. Check back to the Radulov signing, the Shaw trade and any other moves and the response is generally positive with a spattering of negativity.

This trade however was extremely polarizing, and rightfully so. We traded our 27 year old superstar dman away for a 31 year old superstar dman with better a reputation but worse advanced stats. We have old school fans who don't buy into advanced stats and they buy into the "leadership" stuff and they prefer a good ol' rugged Canadian boy who clears the crease and punishes opponents like Weber. Then there are the fans who buy into the possession and shot suppression guy like Subban.

Our opinions on the trade itself won't waive over the course of hot and cold streaks. We all prefer certain types of players and what we feel their impact on the game is. That doesn't change cause Weber doesn't score in 5 games and has a few ugly turnovers or because he scores 8 points in 5 games and looks awesome. Or Subban does the same in Nashville.

It also doesn't mean that the people that disliked the trade don't REALLY like Weber and hope he has as much success as possible or that the people who loved the trade didn't REALLY like Subban while he was with the Habs. And it most certainly doesn't mean that any of us are lesser or bigger fans of the Habs than we were before the trade.

That last sentence in you post is the most important of all. The bottom line is the trade occurred. Subban now skates for the Preds and Weber skates for the Habs. As a fan of hockey in general you can choose to wish them both success on there new teams. As a fan of the Preds of course you hope Subban can push the Preds even farther into the Playoffs and maybe all the way. The same goes for Weber and the Habs. Teams however are more than just Weber or Subban or even Carey Price even though he is the major piece in what makes the Habs go. If Weber plays mediocre the rest of the way the Habs are going to be a Playoff team and a team in contention. Even if Galchenyuk is out for a long period I believe they will be a playoff team. Now if Price goes down God forbid that is a totally different story. Hockey is a TEAM sport as we all know, but a great Goalie is something special. Even for the Wild if Dubs goes down that is the end of the Wild for this season. The thing we as fans can do is go along for the ride and enjoy it as much as possible. Of course there will be those bumps in the road, but enjoy it as much as possible. It is freaking Hockey the best damn sport on this earth.

Back