• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Pronman ranks Leafs farm system #1:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...-ahead-2016-17-season-led-toronto-maple-leafs

Highlights:

In terms of tiers, the Maple Leafs are their own tier up top, then after jumping down about five stories we have the Coyotes, Jets and Blue Jackets in a tier,...

Toronto has the best farm system in the NHL and it isn't close. Based on my prospect definitions, there are zero reasonable arguments for anyone to even be in the same conversation. Not only do they have a ton of elite talent in players like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander, but their depth is elite too. There are at least 20 prospects in this system that would fit in many other teams' top 10.

Someone posting highlights of the piece would be welcome....I let my ESPN subscription lapse because I was really only using it for Pronman, and he doesn't do nearly enough to justify an annual subscription.

Hockey prospect bloggers generally seem to be fond of claiming the Arizona Coyotes have a better pool of prospects than the Leafs, and Pronman in particular was vocally on the "Laine is better than Matthews" hype train leading up to the draft, so I'm pleasantly surprised that he still does think the Leafs have the best group of prospects in the league by a wide margin.

I agree with the brief bit of reasoning we've seen from him for this too. Nobody can match our top-3 of Matthews, Marner & Nylander, and no other team can match our depth.

Jets fans disagree. Shocking, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets fans haven't come to grips with how disappointing a season basically everything after their top 5 had last year. Morrisey, Comrie & Petan had okay but pedestrian AHL rookie seasons for such highly ranked prospects, and their depth flopped in a massive way. Dano, Armia, & Kotalek were all trash. Then to top it off they tend to rate future 3rd-4th liners like Harkins & Lemieux really highly.

Jets fans also seem to have a thing about only liking to control for age in comparisons when it benefits their argument from what I've seen online today. They also don't seem to have a clue about our depth prospects (a few guys on HF have tried to argue that Morrissey didn't have a bad year and questioned which rookie defenders we even had on the Marlies, apparently forgetting that Rinat Valiev both A) exists & B) has been nearly identical to Morrissey's (the much higher rated prospect by the prospect blogs) over the last 2 years

19 (WHL)

Valiev: .89ppg
Morrissey: .81ppg

20 (AHL)

Valiev: .38ppg
Morrissey: .39ppg

So for them to try to knock the Leafs system and claim that our depth isn't as good as Pronman is saying, a kid ranked somewhere in the teens for us has performed near identical to one of their consensus top 5 prospects over the last 2 years in the same leagues at the same ages.

Hockey prospect bloggers generally seem to be fond of claiming the Arizona Coyotes have a better pool of prospects than the Leafs, and Pronman in particular was vocally on the "Laine is better than Matthews" hype train leading up to the draft, so I'm pleasantly surprised that he still does think the Leafs have the best group of prospects in the league by a wide margin.

I agree with the brief bit of reasoning we've seen from him for this too. Nobody can match our top-3 of Matthews, Marner & Nylander, and no other team can match our depth.

Arizona is second (especially after the most recent trade), but its not that close of a second. I don't know who these people are who claim arizona is better, but its nuts.

One example is the Dvorak claims. He and Marner might have similar point totals, but they are not the same level of prospect for a variety of reasons.

Swap Matthews with Laine and Marner with Strome and thats a good top 10

Swap Matthews with Laine and Marner with Strome and thats a good top 10
It's a top-10 that has a bit of an "I'm the smartest guy in the room", contrarian air too it.

Laine over Matthews. Strome over Marner. Clayton Keller just outside the top-5, and ahead of guys like William Nylander, Dubois & Tkachuk.

Keller does have great USNDT numbers, but it's always hard to know just what to make of those compared to junior hockey, college or Europe. Even so, considering what Nylander's done against men in three professional leagues the past two years, I think it's crazy to have him behind Keller at this point.

As for Strome vs. Marner, I don't think there should be much of an argument left there after this past season.

1. Auston Matthews
2. Patrick Laine
3. Mitchell Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. William Nylander
6. Jesse Puljujarvi
7. Zack Werenski
8. Pierre Luc-Dubois
9. Clayton Keller
10. Ivan Provorov

2. Auston Matthews, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 18 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 216 | 2015-16 team: Zurich (NLA)
Previous ranking: Not eligible

Matthews is a 6-foot-2, 210-pound pivot with a skill level that is off the charts, the Arizona native has also got professional experience to boot, and he made Swiss cheese out of his opponents in the NLA this past season. He's not a really physical player who will grind for pucks along the wall, nor is he some sort of defensive stalwart. Matthews still uses his big frame to win pucks and competes well on the ice in every zone, but the team drafting him must be realistic about what he's going to be in terms of the gritty areas of the game.

5. Mitch Marner, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 19 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 163 | 2015-16 team: London (OHL)
Previous ranking: 4

Marner was one of the most dynamic players I scouted all season. The MVP of the OHL regular season and playoffs is a very unique forward in terms of how he attacks defenses and the plays he can make. His skating isn't going to blow you away, but he's extremely agile and quick off his first step. Marner's skill is elite, as he can dangle defenders with the best of them and sees the ice at a high level. His defense has come along, and you see the odd really good play off the puck from him. But he still loses more battles than you'd like to see and makes the occasional positional blunder on his check. He has the talent to be a potential top-echelon scorer at the NHL level.

7. William Nylander, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 20 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 190 | 2015-16 team: Toronto (AHL)
Previous ranking: 6

Nylander was arguably the best player in the AHL last season, and showed very well during his 20 games with the Leafs, all but locking down a regular spot for himself in 2016-17. He is an elite playmaker who thinks the game quite well. With such maturity for a player his age, he was able to make high-skill plays with consistency playing against men during the last two seasons. There is so much to tout about his offense: the way he sees the ice, how well he skates, his ability to create space. This past season, I was more intrigued by his improvements away from the puck, which are significantly improved, though still not a strength, per se. His size will always be an issue, and he may try to do too much at times, but you don't want to overcoach the latter too much since those risks can pay off.

58. Kasperi Kapanen, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 20 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181 | 2015-16 team: Toronto (AHL)
Previous ranking: 29

Kapanen is a high-end talent but is going to need a fair amount of time to develop before he's ready to be a full-time NHL player. He has had a significant adjustment period to the AHL but was very impressive at the WJC, even before he scored the "Golden Goal" for Finland in the championship game. Any time I've watched Kapanen in an AHL game, there have been one or two times he makes a "wow" play. His skating and puck skills are in the top echelon, and can enable him to do distinctive things. However, there are many times he loses battles, easily gives the puck away, and doesn't seem committed to defense. Against his peers, he seems to lose some of these tendencies -- particularly the turnovers -- so with more development, one can envision where his game will be in the future.

67. Jeremy Bracco, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 19 | Ht: 5-9 | Wt: 172 | 2015-16 team: Kitchener (OHL)
Previous ranking: 39

There is a love/hate debate in the scouting world with regard to Bracco. I lean toward the former side. Bracco is a player who draws your attention with the way he goes about his business. He's a fantastic playmaker who sees the ice as well as almost any player in the CHL. His skating draws a lot of discussion, however; it's an odd stride, with a lack of a strong follow-through, but he keeps his body open to the middle of the ice to make plays. His defense can be hit-and-miss. When he commits, he can be a decent penalty killer, but he can also cheat way too much and struggles to win physical battles. At the end of the day, he's a point producer who makes tough offensive plays, which makes the questionable parts of his game worth it.

90. Travis Dermott, D, Toronto Maple Leafs
Previous ranking: Honorable mention

Dermott had a very good end to his CHL career, being a second-team All-Star in the OHL and serving as a reliable puck mover on Canada's WJC team. Dermott makes good outlets under pressure, can evade checks with his mobility and can make the occasional high-skill play, too. He's slightly undersized, but does battle hard for pucks and shows fine defensive IQ. As a pro, his value will be more offensively tilted, but he projects to be a guy who can take a reliable even-strength shift because of his hockey sense.

93. Connor Brown, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Age: 22 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 183 | 2015-16 team: Toronto (AHL)
Previous ranking: 72

Brown was quite good between the AHL and NHL this season, as he continues to be a player who can excel at the pro level. He's a very smart, two-way forward who moves the puck effectively and efficiently. Brown isn't a blow-you-away dynamic skill player, as he is more in the above-average range. His skating has improved, and his stride is clean enough to be quicker with a little more lower-body strength. His combination of fine skill, great IQ and work ethic makes him a desirable NHL prospect.

105. Carl Grundstrom, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Previous ranking: Not ranked

Grundstrom has been on the NHL radar for a few years, particularly after several impressive showings last season created buzz around his name. Grudstrom's skill level has stood out to me, and he showed the ability to make high-end skill plays, but he really excels in playing a two-way forward type of role. He has decent strength for a player his age, kills penalties well and has a little edge to his game.

He's not a really physical player who will grind for pucks along the wall, nor is he some sort of defensive stalwart. Matthews still uses his big frame to win pucks and competes well on the ice in every zone, but the team drafting him must be realistic about what he's going to be in terms of the gritty areas of the game.

Really disagree with this, at least from what I've seen from Matthews so far. He's big and digs for the puck like nobody's business.

"uses his big frame to win pucks and competes well on the ice in every zone... " sounds physical and gritty to me.

"Matthews is not a physical player who will grind for pucks or compete in the defensive zone, however he is good at grinding for picks and competing in the defensive zone."

Last edited:
Back