• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs sign John Tavares to 7 year/ $77m deal

Why do we have to get rid of marleau after next season?

if we re-sign the big 3 for about $27m, and then sign all the lower RFA like Johnsson Kapanen leivo borgman Carrick Rosen sparks etc to deals in the $2m range, we'll be above the cap by pretty much exactly marleau's salary.

Last edited:
xAz.gif

Finally a good EFF YOU to all that said... no star wants to play for Toronto because of the pressure, and that all we can get are last hoorah free agents.

New century for the leafs.... new century.

It'll be fun watching him and zeke slowly start love this signing... before JT ever plays a game for the Leafs.

I can love having the player on my team, but short of Tavares seeing a pretty massive boost in per minute production, into the Malkin-Stamkos-Matthews range, I'll never really "love this signing"

It is what it is though, LM put it really well when he called Tavares a "90th percentile" players. So we landed a really good 90th percentile player in his prime, we just paid 99th percentile money for it and I have obvious concerns that this contract looks really bad by the end of it, but oh well.

Matthews-Tavares-Kadri does give us the firepower up the middle to run with Pittsburgh and Tampa

What does this do??

Lebrun
Tavares contract breakdown: Year 1, $650k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 2, $910k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 3, $910k salary, $11.09M sb; Year 4, $910k salary, $8.44M sb; Years 5-7, $910k salary, $7.04M sb in each of those years.

Just gives him money upfront

What does this do??

Lebrun
Tavares contract breakdown: Year 1, $650k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 2, $910k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 3, $910k salary, $11.09M sb; Year 4, $910k salary, $8.44M sb; Years 5-7, $910k salary, $7.04M sb in each of those years.

Just gives him money upfront

Upfront money may have been a deciding factor. He’ll make extra off interest and investments by getting it sooner.

Back