• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Michel Therrien signed to four-year extension

This is Bergevin helping out his friend MT by giving him a guaranteed 4 years of pay $$$....nothing more...Carbo and Martin got fired with 2 years or more left on their contracts...

When I read the news this weekend, I know Habsy would be dancing everywhere, but for the wrong reason.

Anyway, my feeling is similar to a lot of you guys. This is a commitment by management, they want stability. Yes 4 years is long but as it was pointed out, that contract only says he is getting paid for 4 years. It doesn't mean he will be there for the entire lenght. If Therrien is still there in 5 years, I guess on the positive side, it will mean we are winning often and I don't see anyone being against that.

The extension was a given. I think Therrien's record since he started is top 5 in the entire freaking league. Any GM would have renewed Therrien given his results. I don't always like his decision and how he handle some situation, but its hard to deny the results he has so far.

When I read the news this weekend, I know Habsy would be dancing everywhere, but for the wrong reason.

Anyway, my feeling is similar to a lot of you guys. This is a commitment by management, they want stability. Yes 4 years is long but as it was pointed out, that contract only says he is getting paid for 4 years. It doesn't mean he will be there for the entire lenght. If Therrien is still there in 5 years, I guess on the positive side, it will mean we are winning often and I don't see anyone being against that.

The extension was a given. I think Therrien's record since he started is top 5 in the entire freaking league. Any GM would have renewed Therrien given his results. I don't always like his decision and how he handle some situation, but its hard to deny the results he has so far.

It's not a commitment to anything other than having to pay him for four years. He could be fired next February if the team is playing like crap, without injuries.

It's not a commitment to anything other than having to pay him for four years. He could be fired next February if the team is playing like crap, without injuries.

Captain Obvious this morning? In the NHL, when you give a long contract for a coach, it's because management wants to go with the guy longtherm. If that will happen is another story (Madman Tortorella knows this). Still, it's Bergevin's plan to keep therrien longtherm and by listening him talk, you get that having a single bad season at this point wouldn't be a panic mode for him. He knows, even despite the recent success, that the team is not there yet. I think Bergevin sees it that Therrien did a LOT better with the team he had in hands than he thought could happen. I'd be hard press to disagree on this.

Back