• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

goat_poster_by_maxmanax-d6vwjtf.png

michaelgrange

Raptors head coach search to be narrowed down to three candidates -- Raptors assistant Nick Nurse, Spurs assistant Ettore Messina, and either Spurs assistant Ime Udoka or Zalgiris Kaunas head coach Sarunas Jasikevicius -- this week. Story forthcoming.

Lithuanian Club

The coach was something of a legend in the Euroleague, I remember him briefly playing in the league though, maybe a couple of years.. I don't know **** all about him as a coach, but I wouldn't be mad if we brought him in as an assistant.

Lithuanian Club

The coach was something of a legend in the Euroleague, I remember him briefly playing in the league though, maybe a couple of years.. I don't know **** all about him as a coach, but I wouldn't be mad if we brought him in as an assistant.

I agree. If your promoting within you need to fill assistants. So maybe this guy is interviewing for an assistant role, which I would be cool with. But I don’t think i want him as a head coach with some of the options we have already. Seems like a riskier move.

Lithuanian Club

From his wiki page:

On 22 January 2016, he accomplished his first EuroLeague victory as a head coach, when Žalgiris shockingly crushed the previous season's runners-up, Olympiacos, by a score of 75–55, at Žalgiris Arena.[43] On October 26, 2016, just before the first game versus his former long-time head coach Željko Obradović, Željko said: "I knew that he will be a good coach and in the future - one of the best in Europe".[44] On June 13, 2017, he was named best coach of the 2016–17 LKL season.[45] After the season, San Antonio Spurs and U.S. national team head coach Gregg Popovich, invited him to join his coaching staff during the 2017 NBA Summer League. However, Jasikevičius declined, due to his already early planned summer.[46] Jasikevičius also took third place in the voting for the 2017 Alexander Gomelsky EuroLeague Coach of the Year award.[47]

Seems as though Pop had an idea that this guy could be a good one. I'm not sure if Assistant Coach gets him to move. Or maybe he goes to the Spurs after we poach one of their assistants/.

He apparently was in Toronto to interview for the head coach position and not an assistant coach position. I agree that if Pop wants him as an assistant, there's almost 0% chance we get him for a similar position. I don't know if I want someone with only a few years of Euro head coaching experience as our guy. Especially when the guy we're replacing had his biggest weakness in game management. Give me someone with a lot of game management experience and ability please.

Back