• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

EE missed pre-season, so I figure his usual hot May after whiffing in April is going to be a bit behind. My guess is sometime in the next 3 weeks he's going to go off on one of those runs and all will be right with the world.

EE missed pre-season, so I figure his usual hot May after whiffing in April is going to be a bit behind. My guess is sometime in the next 3 weeks he's going to go off on one of those runs and all will be right with the world.

To be fair he's been crushing for a little while now.

With Travis returning and the newly added Paredes; where does that leave Barney/Goins?

Barney's doing too well to cut. Goins still has options left, I believe, so my guess is they'll send him down. With the way Barney has hit, I don't expect us to just give him away for free on waivers, and it's nice having an actual pinch hitter on the bench in Paredes when we need one.

Since Gibby likes to give guys a day off every once in awhile, I guess this can be counted as Donaldson's day off.

Since Gibby likes to give guys a day off every once in awhile, I guess this can be counted as Donaldson's day off.

Be fine although he just had a day off earlier this week (the day after we got Paredes if I recall). Oh well.

I really hate old school baseball thinking. JA Happ cruises through 7 innings, on just shy of 90 pitches. Conventional wisdom says to keep him in, he has another inning in him no problem. The numbers say that he's already been through the order a few times and pitchers start to fall off the planet the 4th time through a lineup. Every meaningful offensive metric skyrockets the 4th time through.

On the flip side of that, relievers perform far better when given bases empty situations...this makes a lot of sense intuitively. Pitchers are far more effective pitching out of the wind up. So if we know as a matter of statistical fact that pitchers struggle heavily the 4th time through the lineup, and we know that relief pitchers are significantly better with bases empty...why do we keep ****ing doing this, and allowing a collection of middle rotation guys get themselves into shitty situations and then get mad that the bullpen isn't bailing them out?

#BlueJays are the first AL team to start a season 0-20 when allowing 4 or more runs since....the #BlueJays in 1981

I really hate old school baseball thinking. JA Happ cruises through 7 innings, on just shy of 90 pitches. Conventional wisdom says to keep him in, he has another inning in him no problem. The numbers say that he's already been through the order a few times and pitchers start to fall off the planet the 4th time through a lineup. Every meaningful offensive metric skyrockets the 4th time through.

On the flip side of that, relievers perform far better when given bases empty situations...this makes a lot of sense intuitively. Pitchers are far more effective pitching out of the wind up. So if we know as a matter of statistical fact that pitchers struggle heavily the 4th time through the lineup, and we know that relief pitchers are significantly better with bases empty...why do we keep ****ing doing this, and allowing a collection of middle rotation guys get themselves into shitty situations and then get mad that the bullpen isn't bailing them out?

Usually, yeah. But not today.
-He was quite a bit under 90 pitches coming into the inning. He left with 95, and by my count had 11 in the 4 batters, so would have been at 84 pitches. 84 pitches with a shutout going? He very well could have stuck around and gotten the shutout and still been under 110 for the game.
-He wasn't going through the 4th time. He was facing the bottom of the lineup.

They made the right play here - let him face those 4 batters. Even the 3rd time through the lineup, most of the time he'll get through the inning with no troubles. And as bad as our bullpen has been, if the Starter is cruising, you have to leave him him.

They made the right call, but it failed.

Yeah, you can't have the bullpen give up lead after lead and let every single inherited baserunner to score in high leverage situations.

Gibby ain't perfect, but he made the right call today. His guys just let him down...again.

Back