• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

hitters were gritting it out against a great pitcher.

then the starting pitching imploded. again.

The Jays are really plummeting down the runs scored standings. From 2nd to 6th in 2 weeks since all of you laughed at me.

The Jays are really plummeting down the runs scored standings. From 2nd to 6th in 2 weeks since all of you laughed at me.

except we didn't laugh at you and agreed that their offense would obviously cool down and stop being so lucky in the clutch.

except we didn't laugh at you and agreed that their offense would obviously cool down and stop being so lucky in the clutch.

Well you did post stats to disagree with me they would be bottom 5. I put my money on my opinion. Many of those players were not going to simply repeating numbers the next season. This is a pretty sad offensive lineup.
I just found that people were getting swayed by a hot start and opinions starting to change that the hitting could be good.
For the record it was bottom 5 in runs scored. 0 agreed with me.

I absolutely did. Because all the stats do disagree with you.

Yet here we are only a couple of weeks later with over 4 months left of the season.
I am not a fan of assuming if a guy had certain stats on one team the previous year(And in some cases a different league) it will continue.
My entire comment was that I found a change in opinion from Spring Training to the time of my comment due to the team exceeding expectations offensively at that point. I think this offence is shit no matter what.
They can still improve. We shall see.

Vladdy already 4/4 today with 2 doubles and a homer.

just silly.

biggio also has his 12th dinger.

Who has ever been this good? I feel like Bryce Harper was the most touted I've ever seen, but what were his numbers at the same ages/levels?

hard to comapre, Harper wasn't as good in milb at the same ages (100wrc+ in AA and 95wrc+ in AAA in small samples), but was promoted quickly to MLB at 19 and did really well (121wrc+).

Dead serious question that I have been racking my brain over trying to answer:

During on the 3-4 seasons that Shapiro/Atkins have been here (hired halfway through 2015), what major mark have they put on this team? We are most definitely at a point where we can critically analyze these guys.

Their major signings have been Kendrys Morales and Jamie Garcia (apparently Happ was signed by LaCava). Both those guys suck and make real money. Hernandez is a nice hitter, but hardly a major mark on the franchise.

What am I missing? I must be missing something.

If they finish 4th or 5th in the division will real rumblings start, or do they have a 8-10 year lifeline?

Last edited:

During on the 3-4 seasons that Shapiro/Atkins have been here (hired halfway through 2015), what major mark have they put on this team? We are most definitely at a point where we can critically analyze these guys.

Their major signings have been Kendrys Morales and Jamie Garcia (apparently Happ was signed by LaCava). Both those guys suck and make real money. Hernandez is a nice hitter, but hardly a major mark on the franchise.

If they finish 4th or 5th in the division will real rumblings start, or do they have a 8-10 year lifeline?

check Rogers' balance sheet. that is the only number that will matter.

I don't think a GM needs to make a "major mark" - especially this crew, their mantra seems to be "no major changes". Especially with the way the team has been set up, there hasn't really been a ton of flexibility - not a ton of new spending room, some holes in the lineup, and no real arbitration decisions that have needed to be made. Yes, they made a really bad decision on Morales, but it's not like Encarnacion has been an All-star the last couple years. He was barely worth the 20M last year, and has been pretty bad this year too.

Now, though, is the real test of things. After a disappointing year last year, this year it seems like they're falling more and more out of the playoff picture (with NYY, BOS, LAA, and HOU all having strong starts, not really a playoff spot available for them), and a real roster decision with a superstar in Donaldson. How they handle this, and figure out how to have the current aging core of the team bridge to the next generation, will truly be the test of this management crew.

As for their security, I'd assume they're safe for a little. Shapiro essentially can't be fired, and will be here as long as he wants to be. And then it's just a question of how long he likes Atkins as his hands-on GM. If they keep floundering the next year or two, maybe there's a chance Atkins gets shuffled away, but Shapiro isn't leaving unless if Rogers really doesn't like how he runs the business side of things.

Back