• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Post season press conference

You already need to find two top 6 forwards. If you ship pleks out of town, you are now looking at needing to bring in an entire line.

If you can trade him for an upgrade great, but why is the other side making that deal? And what type of issues are we talking in that half of our top 6 needs to be integrated into the team in camp.

Sometimes it's just about needing to move on for the benefit of both sides.

Pleks looks more and more disinterested and motivated. There were several stretches this year that he just didn't look motivated to try and be part of the solution. Even in December and January when we still had a shot at turning the season around he was MIA.

You trade him and get some assets back and work on finding a suitable 2nd line center on the market.

We might not . . . but I think it's time to move on. Seems like a marriage that's just okay . . . but has clearly run its course.
I just think that there are so many other huge holes.... two top 6 wingers.. 1 top 4 lhd... that need to be filled asap that creating a hole at 2nd line centre that would also need to be filled doesnt make sense to me

Look at Plekanec's splits for Dec to Feb. When they needed him, he didn't deliver. I wasn't terribly thrilled with Pacioretty and Markov either, but they shouldn't be moved. Pacioretty would be part of a good team in the future, with a specific role of a goal scoring dandy. No one will confuse with Clarke Gillies. Markov is too old, his return will be negiligible. Just let him ride off into the sunset.

But Plekanec is worth something to other teams. If he can be used to fill a gap for the next 6 to 8 years, do it.

Last edited:
You can find small sample sizes where every player struggles. Thats why you don't use splits and small sample sizes to make decisions.

I just think that there are so many other huge holes.... two top 6 wingers.. 1 top 4 lhd... that need to be filled asap that creating a hole at 2nd line centre that would also need to be filled doesnt make sense to me

Makes no difference , this team is not winning a cup in the next 1-2 years with or without 14. Shitless is not going to deliver 2 legit top 6 and a 25 minute #2 D this summer.

So before he leaves in 2 years or gets picked up in the expansion draft turn his cap friendly and perfectly executed no clauses in his contract into legit players we could use .

Who knows maybe we get his replacement in the deal or a decent D . Maybe we draft his replacement in Jost or Mcleod but use the trade pieces to fill other holes.

Who cares what he did 3-5 years ago , its simply he doesnt fit along with 51, 74, 79 on this team moving forward .

He is a fine player but like Staal , Backes, Lucic in Boston and Kessler in Vancouver its time to move on, he is not untouchable.

Back