• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

RIP Todd Ewen

tazsub3

Goodbye old neighbor...
I will never forget the first time i saw him, walking bent down holding the hand of his kid..

Former Hab enforcer Ewen dies at 49.

ST. LOUIS - Todd Ewen, the former NHL enforcer called "The Animal" for his rugged play and fighting ability, died Saturday. He was 49.

The St. Louis Blues confirmed Ewen's death on their Twitter account without providing details.

"We're sad to learn of the passing of former Blue Todd Ewen today," the team tweeted. "Our thoughts are with the Ewen family at this time."

Full article

Amanda Singroy
We've learned former #nhl enforcer Todd Ewen appears to have died of self-inflicted gunshot wound to head @CTVNews

I suppose it could have been accidental (lots of people accidentally shoot themselves while cleaning their firearms) but I doubt it in this case. Ewen isn't the first former enforcer to take his own life and unfortunately he probably won't be the last. We should remember this the next time a player miraculously comes back to play in a game where he had his bell rung a few minutes earlier. Spending a little time in the quiet room isn't a cure for a concussion.

It's quite possible that head trauma may have caused him to take his own life but it could also be someone who has reached an age where they see the best behind them and not much to look forward to anymore. I am seeing this a lot these days where people reach their 40's and they become depressed that life has left them behind... at least as they see it.

I was reading about actress Amanda Peterson the other day that she did in fact die of a drug overdose. I don't believe they have said she meant to do it as I think she had a child to take care of but there was someone who had a promising career at one pont and then left Hollywood and became basically disillusioned with life. It was also reported by her parents recently that Amanda was raped at 15.

Many athletes struggle after a pro career because the sport they played was all they ever did as long as they could remember. If they didn't save any money they were likely back in the grind like the rest of us with an 9-5 job and no one was standing and applauding them anymore for doing a good job.

Lotus, most take the simple way out. Someone offs themselves, he was a pro athlete, he took shots, to the head, must be CTE. Head injuries are the new fad now.

Who knows why he did it. No one will ever know. His family is just left holding the bag.

I believe researchers have asked the family to allow them to study the brain to see if there is evidence of CTE

And just to add, Ewen had plenty to look forward to. He and his wife owned a real estate business and were doing well. His life after hockey wasn't nearly as rocky a transition as it is for some players. But clinical depression is a debilitating condition. It doesn't really matter how well things are going for you in the outside world. Your own mind is against you.

Yeah but clinical depression has little to do with hits to the head or concussion symptoms unless the constant headaches add to the misery.

BrianWilde
I can't understand with powerful evidence mounting, why we can't see we're a part of killing ppl but that's just me

Maybe we need to start explaining this on really simple terms like.... Good people are dying so we can watch fights.

Yeah but clinical depression has little to do with hits to the head or concussion symptoms unless the constant headaches add to the misery.

I'm pretty sure that it's fairly common opinion in the medical field that concussions, especially multiple can lead to mental health issues.

I'm pretty sure that it's fairly common opinion in the medical field that concussions, especially multiple can lead to mental health issues.

Very true, and that might the case here with Ewen but clinical depression is even more acknowledged these days as being a factor in many people's suicide attempts. People who have never had a hit to the head in their life, who seem happy to most are struggling every day to hold things together but eventually with time they just can't take it anymore.

Robin Williams death shocked many but those who knew him well knew he was fighting this most of his life. On the other hand there is Chris Pronger who in a documentary a couple of years ago talked of the consequences of all the concussions he had in hockey about how difficult it was to just go out in the sunlight or play with his kids due to the pain he was feeling. For a tough guy you could see how debilitating this was on his life. I can only hope things have got better for him since then.

The problem with guys like Wilde is that he always pontificates about fighting or concussions at times like this. Hell, I remember when Max went head first into the boards in Florida, Wilde's first tweet was that the Canadiens better say it was a concussion as if they owe Wilde something or he will give them lashes etc. The fact that it was fighting goons that have killed themselves he takes to mean fighting caused it. The problem with the theory is that football players have killed themselves too and they don't fight. Furthermore, how many wrestlers have killed themselves, boxers, UFC guys etc. I am sure some here will name off a few but if it were fighting that caused them to kill themselves, one would expect a ton of wrestlers boxers etc to do it.

Yeah head injuries are not good. However, that is the risk the players the players take when they play. They do get massively compensated for the risk. We can ban fighting, fine, but if Max ends up with CTE when he is older, it won't have been from fighting. If he offs himself, it won't be due to fighting. Wilde is being way to simplistic as always. Oh a fighter killed himself, has to be from fighting.

I agree that it isn't only fighters who are at risk but Wilde was right to demand that the Habs call it a concussion when Max went into the boards. Five minutes after the league came up with the concussion protocol teams were finding ways around it. The easiest way is to simply refuse to disclose that the player was concussed in the first place. Teams realized that as long as you don't call it the C word then you don't have to follow the protocol and the player in question is still eligible to play. So as soon as the playoffs begin concussions morph into "upper body injuries" and guys who shouldn't be playing don't miss a shift. The other thing they do is treat the so-called "quiet room" like it's some sort of miracle cure for head trauma. A guy gets his bell rung, sits in the room for a few minutes and then declares himself fit to return to action.

Bottom line is that neither the teams nor the players care about this until it's too late. Players want to keep playing and teams are trying to win games in the present. Future ramifications are left to the future.

Back