• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

You mean the STL centre that geeman overrates? Robert Thomas... he looks solid, but I doubt he's a #1 centre. Probably a second liner. Jordan Kyrou looks good too. I'd say he's about the same.

Overrates ? You lost your mind

There isn`t a hope in the hell a top 5-10 rated prospect in the world is going anywhere

He was dominant in the playoffs and better than anything we have in our pipeline

Robert Thomas just might be the best prospect in hockey, fyi.

I disagree. He couldn't lace Elias Pettersson's skates.

I think Thomas is top 10ish. That's not including the 2018 class or any of the young graduates.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

You know Dallas will rip Nero a new arshole on that deal ....I am convinced Seguin will get traded this summer along with other big names
Seguin is apparently off the market - one of Jim Montgomery’s conditions for accepting the head coaching gig with Stars

Wow... I don't think I'd want to go that high. Maybe $12m.

It really doesn't matter, 12m or 15m. You will need to pay him 15m in order to convince him to come to a team that won't win a cup while he's here.

I think he wants the max value (whatever that is) if he comes to a place like Montreal. The team isn't close to winning and it's a fish-bowl.

I disagree. He couldn't lace Elias Pettersson's skates.

I think Thomas is top 10ish. That's not including the 2018 class or any of the young graduates.

I suppose it depends on who you prefer, a Nicklas Backstrom type or a Patrice Bergeron type.

I take the Patrice Bergeron type without much hesitation.

I suppose it depends on who you prefer, a Nicklas Backstrom type or a Patrice Bergeron type.

Isnt the Swede barley 160 pounds , I think Farhan Lalji mentioned during the season that he physically isnt ready for the NHL grind and needs 10-15 pounds of muscle.

RT will probably start next year on their top 6 . Both are legit studs.

"Type" is one thing... but caliber is another. If you ask me who I would prefer between Backstrom and Bergeron, sure, I take Bergeron. I just don't see Thomas becoming a Bergeron.

Bergeron is a rare case of a guy that didn't put up great junior numbers but became a great NHLer. Thomas' 75 points in 49 OHL games in his post-draft year were very good... but not great to the point where I'd predict him to be an elite player. There have been dozens and dozens of CHL players to put up that level of scoring over the past 15 years that never became NHL regulars or stars.

Pettersson on the other hand led the SHL in points and was second in goal scoring.... in a damn good men's league. 44gp 24g 56p compared to Backstrom's post draft season of 45gp 12g 40p.

Pettersson's SHL numbers are unparalleled. He set the record for points by a player under 20... beating out Forsberg, Backstrom, Naslund x 2... everyone. The only player with a better PPG than him was Kent Nilsson back in 1975-76. And on top of that, he's touted as a two-way guy.

With all that said... yes, Robert Thomas may indeed become the better player. I just don't see it. I would take Pettersson over him all day long.

"Type" is one thing... but caliber is another. If you ask me who I would prefer between Backstrom and Bergeron, sure, I take Bergeron. I just don't see Thomas becoming a Bergeron.

Bergeron is a rare case of a guy that didn't put up great junior numbers but became a great NHLer. Thomas' 75 points in 49 OHL games in his post-draft year were very good... but not great to the point where I'd predict him to be an elite player. There have been dozens and dozens of CHL players to put up that level of scoring over the past 15 years that never became NHL regulars or stars.

Pettersson on the other hand led the SHL in points and was second in goal scoring.... in a damn good men's league. 44gp 24g 56p compared to Backstrom's post draft season of 45gp 12g 40p.

Pettersson's SHL numbers are unparalleled. He set the record for points by a player under 20... beating out Forsberg, Backstrom, Naslund x 2... everyone. The only player with a better PPG than him was Kent Nilsson back in 1975-76. And on top of that, he's touted as a two-way guy.

With all that said... yes, Robert Thomas may indeed become the better player. I just don't see it. I would take Pettersson over him all day long.

Good points, but its most likely wrong to suggest Thomas will be in the same group of players that were point demons in junior but couldn't make it in the NHL. He's just too well rounded of a player.

Good points, but its most likely wrong to suggest Thomas will be in the same group of players that were point demons in junior but couldn't make it in the NHL. He's just too well rounded of a player.

I never said he won't make the NHL... or even be "good."

Thing is... he's not really a "point demon." And yeah. I think he'll be a good player... I'm just not penciling him in as a star player.

Last edited:

Eklund updated his Habs rumour, it’s Toews, of course, that the Habs are looking at.

I never said he won't make the NHL... or even be "good."

Thing is... he's not really a "point demon." And year, I think he'll be a good player... I'm just not penciling him in as a star player.

100 points pro -rated for a 3rd year OHLer is about as good as it gets these days. 160 and 170 point seasons in the days of Dougie Gilmour and Peter Lee are pretty much done. In general the OHL tries to play more of a pro game than the other 2 junior leagues.

Last edited:

100 points pro -rated for a 3rd year OHLer is about as good as it gets these days. 160 and 170 point seasons in the days of Dougie Gilmour and Peter Lee are pretty much done.

I'm not comparing him to the all time greats. He was 7th in the OHL in points per game. That's good... it's just not phenomenal. Combine that with his apparent two-way game and he's probably a good bet to be a good NHLer. Just not a sure thing... and not likely to be an elite player.

Eklund updated his Habs rumour, it’s Toews, of course, that the Habs are looking at.

A. It's Eklund so I doubt it means much.
B. Like I said, I'm fine with something like Shaw for Toews.
3. I fear that if something like this were true that MB would way overpay. Toews is basically the Weber of centres. An excellent, but overrated player.

Or he might not be. Like most prospects not named McDavid . . . or Crosby . . . we'll have to wait a few years to find out. He's a prospect.

Back