• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So ... who's doing anything notable this summer?

Lots of travel, but mainly to our camper on the New River near Topsail. Finally got the boat fixed after two years of disrepair, so now we can enjoy the ICW and sandbar.

We are taking the twins on their first plane ride in October to the Dominican Republic for a weeks vacation. They are super excited. Me not so much as I don't like flying.

A side note: Forget the cliche Caribbean Vacation spots. Go to the DR. They have made incredible improvements to the infrastructure and the resorts are amazing for the price. I've been all over the Caribbean and this is my second favorite so far overall (Aruba #1, but pricey), and #1 in terms of quality for price. It's getting more popular so it's not as cheap as it used to be, but the resorts are still fantastic. Riviera Maya may be the only place close to the quality for price (that I've been to anyway).

T
Casa de Compo, one of the best if not the best, vacations ever. And no one knows it exists.

I would never go to the DR either.
Most of the tourist places are so sanitized that you might as well stay at the hotel in a mall.

But then, I would never do a cruise either. That is why there is something for everyone!

Exactly, Go hang out in actual DR (not the resort) and tell me how you feel about it :)

Exactly, Go hang out in actual DR (not the resort) and tell me how you feel about it :)
Geez you are some crabby damn people. You went to Playa Del Carmen and are saying to "spend some time in the real DR?" Pot, met kettle. Get off the Yucatan and see the "real Mexico".

There are really crappy parts of Durham too, but does that mean I shouldn't go the DPAC or DBAP for some entertainment?

The first time I went to the DR it was pretty bad off of the resorts. Not really dangerous, but just dirt poor and pretty depressing.

Last year, it was like a completely different place. The people have embraced tourism and the tourists and the infrastructure it 100 times better. Kids are in school instead of out begging for candy and handouts and hundreds of schools are being built. We drove through some of the same places as we had the last time and it was like a different world. All thanks to the tourists staying at their "sanitized" resorts. The DR is using it's tourism dollars to help make things better. I'll take that.

T

Jeez guys ... away from the resort areas, the US Virgin Islands are a nightmare and don't get me started on Puerto Rico. Seriously ... beaches are great, but if you want full blown 1st world conditions AND beaches, either stick to the US or consider Bermuda.

Now that I mention it, it's been WAY too long since I've been to Bermuda. I love that place.

I went to Cuba with my son last year, very first time going. I read some of the typical complaints and to be honest with you, had no issues. Was great. Found it equally great that for my 3 year old (at the time) and myself we got return tickets, all inclusive et all - for just under 1200$ CAD (tax in). I'm not that experienced on vacation getaways (but have a fair amount of experience travelling/living abroad) yet at that price, hard to see anything wrong. There was enough variety and changeup at the resort buffets that I was always satisfied. Being able to buy a nice french wine with my meal at an excellent price was also a perk.
Ok, I know, this is Cuba, no go for yall.

Geez you are some crabby damn people. You went to Playa Del Carmen and are saying to "spend some time in the real DR?" Pot, met kettle. Get off the Yucatan and see the "real Mexico".

eh, this is supposed to be a fun thread, so I am deleting my original comment and I will just say that I'm glad you had a nice time on your vacation.

Last edited:
just spent time on Holden Beach. That's about it as I am heading for Cali in September to see my kid...

I finally did something this summer. I moved, last Friday, the 15th.
About a week of hell.
I never knew it could be so miserable.
And I had very good movers and a very good loan processor.
What made it so bad was the timing. My old house was being torn down at the same time the furniture truck was being loaded plus the closing was being delayed and then the loan people started saying they might need an extra day. This was on a Friday and power, water and gas had all been turned off and the new place wouldn't let me in until the title was registered. I was worried I wouldn't have a place to stay for a couple days.
But the loan processor walked papers through and got all the needed signatures so we closed and title transferred at 3:00.
The moving people worked through the people tearing the house down. It was the first move ever where not a single scratch was put on a piece of furniture nor a single mark put on a wall, pretty amazing.
We are in our new place now. A far cry from the house we had.
For anyone downsizing. It's not only the wall space, it's the cupboard space, storage space, pantry space, garage space, every conceivable space shrinks. We gave away a lot of stuff and I had a dumpster in the driveway, filled it and still have too much stuff.
So, if in doubt, throw it out.

Stuff, man .... we've all got too much. Good luck with the down-sizing. I helped my Uncle move into a townhouse a couple of months ago and they still can't find anywhere to keep winter coats.

for everyone with TOO MUCH STUFF...

[video=youtube_share;VXyDJiUXqXY]http://youtu.be/VXyDJiUXqXY[/video]

Stuff, man .... we've all got too much. Good luck with the down-sizing. I helped my Uncle move into a townhouse a couple of months ago and they still can't find anywhere to keep winter coats.

JB, same problem, we can't find a place for our winter clothes. But, we are solving that by buying a house in Beaver Creek/Edwards, Colorado;) Summers here and winters out there.

JB, same problem, we can't find a place for our winter clothes. But, we are solving that by buying a house in Beaver Creek/Edwards, Colorado;) Summers here and winters out there.

My cousin Kelly lives just north of you in that mountain range, in Estes Park. Of course, in Rocky Mountain scale, "just north" is about 3 hours. She loves it out there!

Last edited:
I'll be in that neighborhood in October- Gypsum, CO-- which is about 25 miles from Edwards...

Gypsum is just a couple miles west on 70 near the airport.
We aren't going out till November I think.

I went to Estes many years ago.

The whole area is beautiful.

Cool. I spend a couple of summer is Estes Park back in the early 80s working at a camp. Wonderful place, especially in the summer.

Summers are great, winters are fantastic!
Our house is 5 minutes from the base lift at Arrowhead which is the western most part of the Beaver Creek ski station.
We have a number of good friends that either live or spend a great deal of time there.

From your porch I bet you can smell those awesome chocolate chip cookies from the Beaver Creek Resort :)
Summers are great, winters are fantastic!
Our house is 5 minutes from the base lift at Arrowhead which is the western most part of the Beaver Creek ski station.
We have a number of good friends that either live or spend a great deal of time there.

From your porch I bet you can smell those awesome chocolate chip cookies from the Beaver Creek Resort :)
You've been there for the 4:00 treat. It's not always chocolate chip. They bake different types all season long. I think they are given recipes to try. It's like a competition.
Sometimes we're at beaver creek an sometimes at arrowhead where they make the best bloody Mary's.
A difficult decision at the end of the day.

My line of work doesn't allow prolonged summer vacations (gotta make hay when the sun's shining), but I have a couple of tropical dive trips booked when it will be cold around here. I'll miss some hockey, though I doubt any of it will be a Pivotal Global Event. We're going to Guanaja, Honduras in the Bay Islands this Fall, then back to Lembeh, Indonesia in the middle of winter. I was booked to go to Guanaja years ago, but hurricane Mitch destroyed the resort in 1998 and forced me to alter my plans. Who knew it would take so long before I would book there again?

Colorado's got pretty in places for sure. I can't go there without making my way to Red Rocks amphitheater in Morrison. Enjoy Colorado, Dennis.

Back