• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Standings of Reality

I find it remarkable after what's happened since (Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Kadri) that people still undervalue those first round picks.

Leafs got jobbed.

First round picks should be treated as untouchable unless:

1. You happen to have an extra one lying around from a non-playoff team, or;

2. Your team is already one of the top five teams in the NHL.

The Leafs at the time of the trade had a single 60 point forward, Matt Stajan as its #1 centre, and Vesa Toskala as the starting goalie. They'd just finished with 81 points. No one should have been surprised that the picks they gave up would be high first round selections.

I find it remarkable after what's happened since (Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Kadri) that people still undervalue those first round picks.

Leafs got jobbed.

there was no reason to expect either of those picks to be top 5 or even top 10, like all those names you just mentioned.

and Kessel was 21yrs old and is one of the best leafs of all time, better than any first rounder the leafs had drafted for decades..

there was no reason to expect either of those picks to be top 5 or even top 10, like all those names you just mentioned.

Other than the fact that they finished 24th in the league that year, had no upgrades to the piss poor centre position and had one of the worst goalies ever as their starter.

Yet they were going to zoom way up the standings with the addition of a winger coming off surgery and who had yet to post more than 60 points.

Are we really going to have this debate again, after it’s been conclusively settled with the benefit of hindsight?

It was a terrible trade. It was ****ing stupid on every level. And it was not in any way unforeseeable.

it was a great trade. i would trade a couple random 1st rounders for an elite 21yr old top 5 pick every time. even with the team doing far worse than expected, those picks were a hair' s breadth away from being gudbranson and Brodin.

it was a great trade. i would trade a couple random 1st rounders for an elite 21yr old top 5 pick every time. even with the team doing far worse than expected, those picks were a hair' s breadth away from being gudbranson and Brodin.

Yeah, as it turned out Boston made out well with the picks... but I do that trade all day.

Yep, worked out so well.

Please, sir, can I have some more? lol

Well really... Boston turned Seguin and Hamilton into a pile of nothing.

This off season I would trade Montreal's next 2019 1st and 2nd plus their 2020 1st for Pastrnak. And Montreal appears to be in a worse position than Toronto was the summer they traded for Phil.

Well really... Boston turned Seguin and Hamilton into a pile of nothing.

This off season I would trade Montreal's next 2019 1st and 2nd plus their 2020 1st for Pastrnak. And Montreal appears to be in a worse position than Toronto was the summer they traded for Phil.

Then you’d make the same stupid mistake and fail.

You have an aging, subpar core that has accomplished nothing. You have no first line center. You have no organizational depth to speak of at all. You may be finishing bottom ten for the next 5 plus years. But you want to trade your best three picks over the next two years for a winger.

You should definitely do that.

Our best pick should be 2018. The chances of the Habs drafting someone as good as Pastrnak in 2019 or 2020 (especially a centre) is very unlikely.

The first Kessel trade was a steal. Problem was toskala and some of the other moves he made, not that one.

It's the second Kessel trade that was brutal for us.

The only thing I don't like about the Kessel trade 2.0 is the fact that we retained money.

But Kapanen & a 1st round pick we turned into Freddie Andersen isn't a bad return.

Our best pick should be 2018. The chances of the Habs drafting someone as good as Pastrnak in 2019 or 2020 (especially a centre) is very unlikely.
But this still gets back to the question: what is Montreal a David Pastrnak away from?

I mean, great. You add an elite scoring winger to the current Montreal roster. But it's still a fundamentally flawed roster full of holes.

They're still unlikely to add an impact player through free agency. They have no real blue chippers coming up among their current ground of prospects, and they'd have no first round picks with which to bolster that prospect pool for the next two years. So where does that move really lead you in the end?

But this still gets back to the question: what is Montreal a David Pastrnak away from?

I mean, great. You add an elite scoring winger to the current Montreal roster. But it's still a fundamentally flawed roster full of holes.

They're still unlikely to add an impact player through free agency. They have no real blue chippers coming up among their current ground of prospects, and they'd have no first round picks with which to bolster that prospect pool for the next two years. So where does that move really lead you in the end?

Brief jump to wild card bubble team, predictable fall to to bottom feeder again when older talent starts to lose a step, and no prospect to replace them.

ATL

1.TBL 116
2.BOS 115
3.TOR 106
-------------
4.FLA 93
5.MTL 71
6.DET 71
7.OTT 70
8.BUF 63

MET

1.WSH 104
2.PIT 98
3.PHI 96
-------------
4.CBJ 96*
5.NJD 94*
6.CAR 84
7.NYR 81
8.NYI 79

CEN

1.NSH 118
2.WPG 111
3.MIN 102
-------------
4.COL 98*
5.STL 97*
6.DAL 92
7.CHI 77

PAC

1.VGK 110
2.SJS 104
3.ANA 97
-------------
4.LAK 96
5.CGY 86
6.EDM 80
7.VAN 67
8.ARZ 67

NHL

1.NSH 118
2.TBL 116
3.BOS 115
4.WPG 111
5.VGK 110
6.TOR 106
7.WSH 104
8.SJS 104
9.MIN 102
10.PIT 98
11.COL 98
12.STL 97
13.ANA 97
14.PHI 96
15.LAK 96
16.CBJ 96
17.NJD 94
18.FLA 93
19.DAL 92
20.CGY 86
21.CAR 84
22.NYR 81
23.EDM 80
24.NYI 79
25.CHI 77
26.MTL 71
27.DET 71
28.OTT 70
29.VAN 67
30.ARZ 67
31.BUF 63

Exactly.

While first round picks are not a sure thing, they still represent the best hope for a team like the Habs. Marginal improvements to the roster by making a sensible deal here and there won't move the needle. The roster needs transformation that only a multi year run of successful/lucky draft picks can provide.

Back