• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Death Thread 2021

Ed H in Pasadena

I know it's late in the year but I wanted a thread to pay tribute to those beloved artists (music, television, film, etc.) who've sadly passed away in 2021.

The death of Michael Nesmith, the engine behind The Monkees (and composer of, among other tunes, "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys (with Linda Ronstadt) hit me hard for some reason. I was a big fan of theirs, but not like, say, the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Still, The Monkees were underrated as a band (probably the way they came together, and the show).

If you know, by name (and sound, in this case), an artist whose art form (in this case music), then that artist must've been huge among his/her legion of fans. Such was the case with yesterday's passing of Vicente Fernandez at 81. I think I first heard him referred to as "El Rey" (The King) but also as the "King of Rancheras" and the "Mexican Frank Sinatra".

And Thursday saw the passing of Demaryius Thomas (probably of a seizure disorder), a great receiver for the 2015 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos. He'd only retired earlier this summer. He was 33.

Session bassist Phil Chen, who performed with Jeff Beck on "Blow by Blow" (classic LP of the mid-70s), Rod Stewart on several LPs (including the single "Do You Think I'm Sexy?"), and Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger, passed away at 80 yesterday morning after a long battle with cancer.

Two major figures not in the entertainment industry passed away today: Archbishop Desmond Tuty, and Sarah Weddington (the attorney who argued for Roe in the famous Roe v Wade case)

Back