• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Game 25 - Habs vs. Devils

CBC showed a stat that fighting is quickly fading away, half of what it was 5 years ago. While they can be adrenaline pumping, I can't say I miss it.

CBC showed a stat that fighting is quickly fading away, half of what it was 5 years ago. While they can be adrenaline pumping, I can't say I miss it.

Me neither. The NHL is getting exactly what it wanted by having fighting fade away organically.

I dont know why Kyte put Gallagher in the same category as Marchand. He clearly ISNT watching the games. If he just said Marchand, then maybe I would have agreed with him. Kyte is actually a smart dude who does some charitable work, I believe he is a dean at the local college in Ottawa.

I agree that he's smart.

Overnight, he went from irrelevant player that 99.9% of people had heard of to someone trending on twitter and now everyone knows him.

Watch, he's going to get a bunch radio interviews on Monday and he'll be advertise his charity or whatever he holds near & dear.

Smart guy. He should be thanking Gallagher for actually slaying him.

I remember Kyte from his days a Jet in the 80's but he wasn't much of a player, especially for a high first round pick. He apparently has an MBA and writes a column for one of the Ottawa papers.

The one "good" thing about Price's injury is that we now get to see how 90 per cent of NHL fans have to watch their teams with less than great goaltending. I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have Price as our goalie. And if the Habs learn to play without Price for a while, it'll make them a better team when he returns.

The one "good" thing about Price's injury is that we now get to see how 90 per cent of NHL fans have to watch their teams with less than great goaltending. I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have Price as our goalie. And if the Habs learn to play without Price for a while, it'll make them a better team when he returns.

Most important. And they are learning with the occasional bump along the way

I remember Kyte from his days a Jet in the 80's but he wasn't much of a player, especially for a high first round pick. He apparently has an MBA and writes a column for one of the Ottawa papers.

Motivational speaker and is a dean in a college in Ottawa. I dont think he needs this kind of attention at all. In this world of political correctness this will not look good on him at all.

Kyte's first mistake was to lump Gallagher in with Marchand. The former is a top line winger with a first place team. The latter is a scumbag Bruin ass clown. And if Kyte is so smart he should be smart enough to know that he is too slow to be able to play NHL hockey in this day and age. He was only able to survive back then because the rules allowed plodders like him to turn the game into a clutch and grab rodeo.

And while it may be true that the instigator rule protects certain pipsqueaks from overt retribution, I say again that this would apply more to a middling talent like Marchand than to Gallagher, who could hardly be characterized as a hit and run player. He goes into the dirty areas and he pays the price. That's altogether different from a perimeter player who only sticks his nose in when the threat of being singled out and pummelled is minimal. Kyte also badly mischaracterized the players of his era as having more honour than players today. This is complete and unadulterated BS. Even without an instigator rule and a laissez-faire attitude toward violence, the NHL of Kyte's era still had to deal with despicable, dishonourable jerks like Bobby Schmautz, Ken (the rat) Linseman, Bryan Marchment, Louis Sleigher, Ulf Samuelsson and even Kyte himself. Gallagher was quick to include a youtube link to Kyte's sucker punch of Mario Lemieux in his twitter salvo, which Kyte tried to defend as "sticking up for his teammates".

I'm sure Louis Sleigher was just sticking up for his teammates when he sucker punched Jean Hamel on Good Friday 1984 and ended Hamel's career. I'm sure that Ulf Samuelsson was only defending the honour of the mighty Whalers when he blinded Pierre Mondou with a high stick and ended his career. As Shakespeare wrote in Julius Caesar, "Brutus is an honorable man".

The fact of the matter is that Gallagher has talent and Kyte had practically none. He played in an era where being big and mean was its own reward and an ability to skate was optional. But clearly his biggest asset was the fact that he was (and presumably still is) legally deaf, which means that he was unable to hear fans heckling him about being a pathetic excuse for a hockey player.

Back