• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season thread, 2015/16 Edition

They should make it an imperative to draft at least one goaltender per draft. The player doesn't necessarily have to be putting out lights-out numbers, but he should have some qualities that make him projectable as a future NHL'er, even if you're only willing to roll the dice on them as a fifth or sixth rounder. Just keep the pipeline flowing and make sure the kids get a lot of ice-time and development opportunities.

Keep the talent flowing as much as possible. Like 101 mentioned above, you'll never develop goalies if you're not drafting them in the first place. As many lottery tickets as possible.

Nah, almost all good goalies get drafted. What we need to do is get a 5-7 4-6th round picks and take everything with a high SV% that's there, for 3 years and based on draft history, we'll pull two Vezina contenders out of there.
Yep. I'm hoping we'll start picking more goalies out of Europe as well. With only a limited amount of available playing time and space available in the organization's crease once goalies graduate from the CHL, it'd be nice to consistently have some goalies in our back pockets slow-cooking over in the KHL, SHL & Liiga too.

With the cost of acquiring a goaltender being low... does it make sense to continuously use draft picks to take a keeper or simply acquire one when necessary?

Can we do a better job using those picks on position players and then when the need comes up use picks/prospects/players to acquire a high end goaltender?

Not suggesting we never draft a goaltender but i wouldn't set a goal of taking one every draft.

Guys like Bishop and Rask both have young goaltenders doing very well behind them and could become available.

Last edited:
Is the cost really that low, though? I mean, you can get a stop-gap or average goalie for a decent price on the UFA market usually.

But if you want a high-quality young goalie, you're either going to have to draft and develop him yourself, or you're going to have to trade for him. And if you're trading for him, it won't be cheap---Schneider cost a 9th overall pick, Varlamov cost an 11th overall pick + 2nd rounder, Bobrovsky cost a 2nd & two 4th round picks, Martin Jones cost a 1st round pick + prospect.

And for every one Schneider you trade for, you'll probably end up trading for a couple more goalies that end up ranging from Vesa Toskala to Jonathan Bernier in quality.

Guys like Bishop and Rask both have young goaltenders doing very well behind them and could become available.

Yeah, but a big reason for that is they keep drafting goalies. Boston has drafted 5 in the last 8 drafts and Tampa has drafted 4 in the last 5 years.

Even if you get a guy like Bishop and Rask you shouldn't stop drafting and developing goalies. You want to be in the position Tampa is in.

Not sure if this has been covered but Kadri and Grabner not at Leafs practice today due to injury.

And the roster gets uglier.

Draft occasionally but wouldn't do it every year.

Getting a young top 6 forward or top 4 defender is harder than acquiring a goaltender IMO.

Not sure if this has been covered but Kadri and Grabner not at Leafs practice today due to injury.

And the roster gets uglier.

So we have Greening going to join them but did we have a scratched forward last game? could we see an 11 forward 7 D lineup tomorrow night

I would spend a 4th-6th rounder on a goalie every year. When my north american pipeline started to look crowded, I'd go hard on the euros who 1) earn starting gigs at a young age in top euro leagues pretty early in their development & 2) are happy to make pro dollars at home until they're 21-23 yrs old and ready to come over.

This drafting a goalie thing every year is a terrible idea. Where do you expect them to play/develop?

If drafting from junior, then junior until they are 20/21. If from NCAA then there until they are 22. If Europe then there as long as needed. Then we have 4 spots in the ECHL and AHL. Even if you actually develop 1 goalie from junior every draft it would take at least 6 years from drafting the first goalie to fill up the AHL/ECHL spots.

The only time that should be a problem is if they actually draft and develop more than 4 good young goalies at a given time. Which of course is never a problem. Just gives you trade assets for more picks.

But realistically you are hitting on goalies at a much lower rate than 100%.

All it takes is 1 goalie and we are set for a decade. Even with that in mind we should look to draft and develop goalies. I don't agree with setting a rule to draft a goalie each draft, but if you identify a goalie and you like his potential the most at the position we are drafting then we should take him.

European leagues, Russia, NCAA, CHL. There are lots of options for a goalie to develop as long as they need. The fact we haven't been drafting goalies in recent years means we are behind. Our goalie depth is pretty weak as an organization so hopefully we see Hunter and Co identify a goalie or 2 in this years draft.

I really wanted Ilya Samsonov last draft but he went earlier than i would've liked to pick him. Washington has been taking chances on these goalies and have had pretty good success in recent years. Holtby, Varlamov, and recent play of Samsonov looking pretty good.

This drafting a goalie thing every year is a terrible idea. Where do you expect them to play/develop?

I already answered this. If you took a second to think about it, you would see that the answer is pretty evident. Short answer though, a mixture of the CHL, AHL, and European leagues. If someone sucks in Europe, you're not going to bring them over. If they suck in the CHL, they can work their way up from the ECHL.

The only thing you're limited by is premium north american professional slots. You only have 2 in the AHL and 1 behind your starter in the NHL. The Euro leagues will happier keep their kids for a year or two longer than usual if necessary. Most of the good Euro goalie prospects don't need more than a year in the AHL to be NHL ready anyway.

If drafting from junior, then junior until they are 20/21. If from NCAA then there until they are 22. If Europe then there as long as needed. Then we have 4 spots in the ECHL and AHL. Even if you actually develop 1 goalie from junior every draft it would take at least 6 years from drafting the first goalie to fill up the AHL/ECHL spots.

The only time that should be a problem is if they actually draft and develop more than 4 good young goalies at a given time. Which of course is never a problem. Just gives you trade assets for more picks.

But realistically you are hitting on goalies at a much lower rate than 100%.

Nailed it.

You're looking at two to three years minimum before most junior-aged goaltenders begin competing for a spot professionally, and that's only if you've determined they are even worthy of an ELC. There are plenty of young goaltenders that won't even receive a professional contract after junior, no matter how many you draft or how well they perform as a group.

Then in most circumstances you're looking at an additional three years of development time in the AHL or ECHL (if they are a little more unpolished) before they would even receive a call-up to the big club at the NHL level. This doesn't take into account the aforementioned European goalies, who would have the run on receiving starts for their local SEL, KHL, or SM-liiga clubs almost immediately from 18-20 years old depending on their talent level. Then you're looking at a few years worth of European development time for them before they compete for an AHL position in North America.

There's lots of time for evaluation over that period. No one can tell me that having five or six goaltenders playing junior hockey or professionally in Europe would present an impediment to the Leafs development model. And, as 101 pointed out above, how is having a possible assortment of riches a bad thing!? In the unlikely circumstance that you have multiple high-quality, high-potential young goaltenders hanging around, playing well in their respective leagues, trade one or two of them for an asset in an area that you're not as deep in. That's prudent asset management. Then replenish the goaltenders traded away by drafting another one in the next draft.

That's how winning teams succeed: they maintain a constant supply of talent through the pipeline and stockpile draft picks. A smart organization should be employing this model for all positions, not putting constraints on the number of draft picks from a certain position just because you're worried you might have *too many* good prospects there.

I don't see anything wrong with picking a goaltender every year, but I think I'd just stop short of saying we should be picking one every year.

I don't see anything wrong with picking a goaltender every year, but I think I'd just stop short of saying we should be picking one every year.

Well, don't necessarily make it a hard and fast rule (I was a little overzealous in suggesting that initially), but if there are talented kids available from the third round and beyond, grab one of them and at least ensure you've got a consistent supply of goalies in the pipeline. The more bullets in the chamber, the more likely you are to hit your target.

Good goaltending prospects like Louis Domingue, Laurent Broissoit, Jon Gillies, and Matt Murray are available every year for cheap in the third to seventh rounds.

How good is Carter Hart? Looks like a 2nd round pick at this point.

I'm always a wee bit wary when it comes to goalies taken from the WHL (and Everett in particular). Seems like it inflates their save percentages for whatever reason, but he looks pretty good from what I've read and the limited bit of him I saw in the CHL Top Prospects Game. Not sure I'd use a second on him though.

I'm always a wee bit wary when it comes to goalies taken from the WHL (and Everett in particular). Seems like it inflates their save percentages for whatever reason, but he looks pretty good from what I've read and the limited bit of him I saw in the CHL Top Prospects Game. Not sure I'd use a second on him though.

Tri City goalies are okay

Back