• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The UFA/RFA Signing Thread

I wouldn't.

Pleks @ $5M > Dubinsky @ $5.8M.

Dubinsky's only scored 20 goals twice in his career while Pleks is almost guaranteed to score 20 per year.

Pleks is the better player overall. Pleks was also on the ice for 49% of penalties for us during the reg season and an insane 56% in the playoffs. Dubinsky was 38% reg season and 27% in the playoffs. I like Pleks more, while he doesn't bring it as physical, he will put up more points incl goals and is way more crucial on the PK. Not to mention, he makes less.

Guibs, is that you?

Did you stop reading the rest of the sentence once you saw that part in red?

Let me re-post it just to be sure:

Not nearly the same offensive talent as those three, but his overall impact when he's on the ice is second to only Crosby.

Toews's offensive skills aren't in the same ballpark as the Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin's of this world, whenever he's on the ice, his team dominates play. Shuts down the other team's line and usually spends a lot more time in the offensive zone than the opponent's line.

If Chicago had a half-decent PP, he'd be over a PPG player. No idea how they're not any better.

I'd argue Toews is the second best forward on the planet. If fancy numbers with no attention to playing defense or controlling the game are your thing, then, uh, sure. He's around the 20th best forward. And Bergeron's the 70th best.

Bang on , Toews is the total package , and Bergeron isnt that far off

Videos like this are the reason I value goals waaaaaay more than assists:

[video=youtube;eZ9Q23-oViQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9Q23-oViQ[/video]

Fluke goals, like when a player shoots the puck in the zone, hits the board and takes a funny bounce into the net, happen a dozen time or so every year. In a busy night, you could probably watch the hi-lights for every goal and find a half dozen flukey assists where one (or maybe even two) of the players who were credited with an assist had nothing to do at all with the creation of the goal, they just happened to be the last two players to touch the puck before their team mate scored the goal.

Admittedly, there are instances where there's a pass so pretty that the goal is simply a tap-in into an empty net, but again, those are much too infrequent.

Cody Franson got an assist on Kessel's goal, both getting one point. Now who deserves credit on that goal? Realistically, it's 100% Kessel with zero credit to Franson.

Pleks is the better player overall. Pleks was also on the ice for 49% of penalties for us during the reg season and an insane 56% in the playoffs. Dubinsky was 38% reg season and 27% in the playoffs. I like Pleks more, while he doesn't bring it as physical, he will put up more points incl goals and is way more crucial on the PK. Not to mention, he makes less.

Quality of competition explains that.

Pleks is always on the ice against the team's best lines. He has the toughest job of any forward on the team. He gets tougher competition, gets tougher faceoff zone starts with less PP time and more PK time. He does have a tendency to get caught a little too often for my liking, but it's part of the deal. He is what he is.

Videos like this are the reason I value goals waaaaaay more than assists:

[video=youtube;eZ9Q23-oViQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9Q23-oViQ[/video]

Fluke goals, like when a player shoots the puck in the zone, hits the board and takes a funny bounce into the net, happen a dozen time or so every year. In a busy night, you could probably watch the hi-lights for every goal and find a half dozen flukey assists where one (or maybe even two) of the players who were credited with an assist had nothing to do at all with the creation of the goal, they just happened to be the last two players to touch the puck before their team mate scored the goal.

Admittedly, there are instances where there's a pass so pretty that the goal is simply a tap-in into an empty net, but again, those are much too infrequent.

Cody Franson got an assist on Kessel's goal, both getting one point. Now who deserves credit on that goal? Realistically, it's 100% Kessel with zero credit to Franson.
In a small sample size for sure. You cannot look at assist totals over the course of a game or two... or five or even ten and determine how good a guy is at assists. However, over the course of a 50, 60, 70, 100 games or more the "fluke" factor becomes irrelevant and good playmakers will put up more assists.

Thornton or Crosby may have more "flukey" assists than other players but they will also have more legitimate assists.

In a small sample size for sure. You cannot look at assist totals over the course of a game or two... or five or even ten and determine how good a guy is at assists. However, over the course of a 50, 60, 70, 100 games or more the "fluke" factor becomes irrelevant and good playmakers will put up more assists.

Thornton or Crosby may have more "flukey" assists than other players but they will also have more legitimate assists.

Unless if someone wants to go through and catalog every goal and assign credits to all the players on the ice, we're never going to know players' real values.

At the basic point, they should value assists only about 2/3, as there are on average around 1.5 assists per goal, I think. If we had even that basic value assigned to them, that would help bring the value of goals and assists together a lot closer.

Unless if someone wants to go through and catalog every goal and assign credits to all the players on the ice, we're never going to know players' real values.

At the basic point, they should value assists only about 2/3, as there are on average around 1.5 assists per goal, I think. If we had even that basic value assigned to them, that would help bring the value of goals and assists together a lot closer.

I agree that goals in general are more valuable... but over the course of a decent sample size assists are definitely not flukey.

Usually what what you pay is what you get. Not impressive.
IMO Ribeiro & Roy should thrive under Laviolette's run & gun system - especially for year 1.

The Preds org is such a mirror image of the Expos it's not funny - now they only need to find their Vladdy....

IMO Ribeiro & Roy should thrive under Laviolette's run & gun system - especially for year 1.

The Preds org is such a mirror image of the Expos it's not funny - now they only need to find their Vladdy....

They're both in their mid-30's. They might expire under his system.

Radulov left years ago....

The only thing that comes to my mind when the Nashville Predators are brought up is Carrie Underwood.

Now I can add wondering how Ribeiro will do using big city slick moves to pick up country gals while dancing to Kenny Rogers music.

The only thing that comes to my mind when the Nashville Predators are brought up is Carrie Underwood.

Now I can add wondering how Ribeiro will do using big city slick moves to pick up country gals while dancing to Kenny Rogers music.

You don't listen to much modern Country do you?

1980 says hello. :smilewinkgrin:

Back