• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2018

IMO Bergeron would do very well as GM in a non-traditional hockey market. Just as it takes the rarest of players to be successful in Mtl, so too will it take the even more rarest of GMs IMO, I actually don’t think any of the other present 30-GMs would have achieved more success in place of Bergevin. As Habsy says, move the Habs to a southern US market and they likely achieve instantaneous success.

I’m curious to see how the next few years plays out for the Leafs - they were able to lure Marleau but not Green. 50-50 luring rate will help them achieve success but if it falls to to 30% might become problematic.
Regardless of the market he operates in, he has made some horrible decisions and has completely neglected the drafting and development aspect of the team despite continued promises to do otherwise.

Regardless of the market he operates in, he has made some horrible decisions and has completely neglected the drafting and development aspect of the team despite continued promises to do otherwise.

I keep getting told though that we have the best scout in the NHL

I keep getting told though that we have the best scout in the NHL
I don't think Timmins is as bad as many make him out to be but he's made some critical mistakes in 2003 and 2006, 2013 that still haunts us.

To his defense, he doesn't get much help from his GMs, he barely ever has 2nd round picks, his 1st round picks have often been quite late, and the quality picks he makes gets traded away.

yep

and the other aspect is that he has actually got worse at this GMing thing as he gained more experience

I don't think Timmins is as bad as many make him out to be but he's made some critical mistakes in 2003 and 2006, 2013 that still haunts us.

To his defense, he doesn't get much help from his GMs, he barely ever has 2nd round picks, his 1st round picks have often been quite late, and the quality picks he makes gets traded away.
I don’t believe TT is a very good evaluator of offensive talent at the forward position.

He’s drafted 8-forwards in round 1, of which Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk have played significant NHL games - Max was a homerun, Galchenyuk was at worst a top-2 forward pick from his draft class, Chipchura, Leblanc, McCarron were poor selections, and jury is out on Scherbak & Poehling.

I don’t believe TT is a very good evaluator of offensive talent at the forward position.

He’s drafted 8-forwards in round 1, of which Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk have played significant NHL games - Max was a homerun, Galchenyuk was at worst a top-2 forward pick from his draft class, Chipchura, Leblanc, McCarron were poor selections, and jury is out on Scherbak & Poehling.

Scherbak is starting to look like a gem.

he seems better at finding blue liners but he has made some bad picks there as well...but McD, Serg, Subban are awesome

who is the best drafting team?

just go hire all of them

The response from his defenders like Wilde is that it isn't Timmins' fault, he drafts too low so he cannot get scorers.

The response from his defenders like Wilde is that it isn't Timmins' fault, he drafts too low so he cannot get scorers.

i used to defend timmins but while i think he is okay it appears 2007 was just a fluke

i have a bit of hope for the 2017 draft class and none for the 2016

Can TT and hire away Al Murray from TBay with a promo...

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/team/hockey-staff/al-murray

Is that the answer?

seems like he just had his one good draft as well...his first draft

2011 - great draft
Palat in the 7th
Kucherov in the second is obviously a massive win
Namestnikov (first round) is decent but i think he is leeching off of kucherov and stamkos

2012 - okay draft
With 2 first and 2 seconds he only managed to get Vasilevskiy

2013 - bad draft - high expectations when you pick third overall
Drouin at third overall was okay - Monahan, Horvat, Jones, Domi would have all been better - but not a big miss
Nothing else drafted

2014 - decent
Point in the third round
not much else yet

2015 - unknown
i do not see anything here - no first rounder to use but a lot of other draft picks

2016 - good but still unknown
howden and hajek are good IMO

2017 - unknown
foote looks great

maybe that is the best out there but it puts into perspective just how hard it is to draft
if we are stealing him i want to take the entire development and scouting staff lol

Is that the answer?

2011 - great draft
Palat in the 7th
Namestnikov (first round) is decent but i think he is leeching off of kucherov and stamkos

2012 - okay draft

Drouin at third overall was okay - Monahan, Horvat, Jones, Domi would have all been better - but not a big miss
Nothing else drafted

2014 - decent
Point in the third round
not much else yet

2015 - unknown
i do not see anything here - no first rounder to use but a lot of other draft picks

2017 - unknown
foote looks great

maybe that is the best out there but it puts into perspective just how hard it is to draft
if we are stealing him i want to take the entire development and scouting staff lol

They have an elite top 9 with only Stamer a high pick , and a boatload of top kids in the system .

Go get his entire staff

Is that the answer?

2011 - great draft
Palat in the 7th

2012 - okay draft

Nothing else drafted

2014 - decent
Point in the third round
not much else yet

2015 - unknown

2017 - unknown
foote looks great

They're pretty good at signing undrafted UFAs (Johnson and Gourde for example). Even Palat was basically that as they traded for one of the very last pick of the draft to get him and he was 20 at the time of the draft.

Wilde is at it again today with another apologist piece on McCagg's website. The two of those butt lickers could probably tell what Biceps had for lunch just from the smell.

Not hard to guess what Timmins eats for breakfast-lunch-dinner.....probably protein shakes and protein bars

Last edited:
They're pretty good at signing undrafted UFAs (Johnson and Gourde for example). Even Palat was basically that as they traded for one of the very last pick of the draft to get him and he was 20 at the time of the draft.
Across pro-sports I find drafting success is all about being first to recognize an untapped market - for the Dodgers it was talent in the Dominican Republic which carried them for a decade till other teams caught up, for TBay they were first at going all in with speed / skill with little emphasis on size, allowing them to be ultra successful pre-2012. Now that everyone else is catching up can TBay find that next untapped market of prospects?

Across pro-sports I find drafting success is all about being first to recognize an untapped market - for the Dodgers it was talent in the Dominican Republic which carried them for a decade till other teams caught up, for TBay they were first at going all in with speed / skill with little emphasis on size, allowing them to be ultra successful pre-2012. Now that everyone else is catching up can TBay find that next untapped market of prospects?

Let’s not forget that Tampa goes through periods of being bottom feeders which allows them to draft top 5 talents like Vinny, Stamkos, Hedman....heck they drafted Drouin #3 and got Sergachev out of it

When was the last time we had the chance to draft such pure talent ?

Let’s not forget that Tampa goes through periods of being bottom feeders which allows them to draft top 5 talents like Vinny, Stamkos, Hedman....heck they drafted Drouin #3 and got Sergachev out of it

When was the last time we had the chance to draft such pure talent ?
Let's also not forget that even when they're a bottom feeder players still want to play in Tampa because there's no media scrutiny, weather's nice and there are no state taxes to pay.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Back