• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Stealing this for the Habs board.

There's a guy over there arguing that PK isn't even the face of the Habs.

There is not one guy in the league with his star power that can sell the game better then him.

People can argue Crosby has more influence but he has the personality of a turnip

Great. So why create animosity for nothing? They literally have nothing to gain. Its not like they will get a bargain deal by playing hardball. He'll get what he wants to get either way.

But that's the fans and media's narrative... there's nothing to indicate that there really is animosity. PK says there's been nothing but respect and professionalism from both sides.

They are negotiating... every single player goes through negotiations. Some get done fast and some drag out a bit.

There is not one guy in the league with his star power that can sell the game better then him.
I agree... the guy has the flair on the ice and off the ice. He's easily the face of the team and as you said... he could be becoming the face of the league.

People can argue Crosby has more influence but he has the personality of a turnip

Let's be completely honest here, the Latin and African American market for hockey is wafer thin. The NHL finally has a minority player with the skill and, more importantly, the attitude and personality to market the shit out of those demographics. I can guarantee you that most US based teams would love to have Subban and make him the face of their team.

It does make you wonder whether or not Montreal, and by extension the NHL, truly know what a marketing goldmine they're sitting on.

yep, even a geezer like Larry King is on to PK. Silly tweet but shows PK's profile.

Larry King @kingsthings · 4h
.@PKSubban1 @canadiensmtl is not only the best black player in #hockey, he might be the best player. What an incredible talent!

Let's be completely honest here, the Latin and African American market for hockey is wafer thin. The NHL finally has a minority player with the skill and, more importantly, the attitude and personality to market the shit out of those demographics. I can guarantee you that most US based teams would love to have Subban and make him the face of their team.

It does make you wonder whether or not Montreal, and by extension the NHL, truly know what a marketing goldmine they're sitting on.

Dude, they know. I'm sure PK and Meehan have made it clear. PK has clearly positioned himself partly as a corporate brand that does business with other like minded companies.

Dude, they know. I'm sure PK and Meehan have made it clear. PK has clearly positioned himself partly as a corporate brand that does business with other like minded companies.

I agree. It's been reported that Subban talks with LeBron often and LeBron sure knows how to work the industry.

I agree. It's been reported that Subban talks with LeBron often and LeBron sure knows how to work the industry.

I work in communications..Been hearing PK speak quite a bit lately. The guy is becoming a master of saying all the right things while being true to himself.

Yep. How many US markets with large black populations that struggle against NFL, NBA and MLB teams for media exposure, sponsorship dollars and ticket sales would crawl over each other trying to ink Subban to a huge contract and make him the face of their marketing efforts?

They need a guy to step outside of the cookie cutter mold that hockey players are known for but still tow the line of being pc.

He seems to be doing very well with it so far.

Great. So why create animosity for nothing? They literally have nothing to gain. Its not like they will get a bargain deal by playing hardball. He'll get what he wants to get either way.

This is what I dont get.

We have no clue what is going on.

Maybe Subban is asking for $15m...just give it to him?

Maybe they are trying to get him for $10m.

That is 5m a year to gain.

But really we have no idea. They could just be arguing over a 7 or 8 year deal....what type of NTC.

Or maybe the habs are trying to get him to take a pay cut. We have no clue. As Kadri said "wrong bobo"

I work in communications..Been hearing PK speak quite a bit lately. The guy is becoming a master of saying all the right things while being true to himself.

You are CaptainJimBob? How many user names you need?

o-PK-SUBBAN-MAGIC-JOHNSON-facebook.jpg

All this media hub-bub around Subban is probably just the media doing what they do. As you've all said, he's quite a strong media presence.
It is pretty unusual for a player of Subban's stature to get this close to an arbitration hearing without getting a contract done.

Considering that, and the way Subban's negotiations went last time, I don't think the media attention on this is unreasonable.

yep, even a geezer like Larry King is on to PK. Silly tweet but shows PK's profile.

Larry King @kingsthings · 4h
.@PKSubban1 @canadiensmtl is not only the best black player in #hockey, he might be the best player. What an incredible talent!

This makes me laugh. I can imagine King saying that. Norm Mcdonald did a great King impression.

Back