• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Kadri could've gotten that if he had a bit better year. It'll be interesting to see how he does next season. We'll either be kicking ourselves or be thankful it was only a 1 year deal.

I don't think we'd ever be upset having Kadri on a long term deal.

No one succeeded in last year's shitstorm, not even Kessel.

Kadri's a great player who Babcock will turn into a complete stud.

I hope so.

Never know with athletes. Some get it some don't. Kadri has shown enough skill to be a big success here. He's also shown some poor tendencies.

Vancouver Canucks
OFFICIAL: #Canucks acquire Brandon Sutter & 3rd round pick from Penguins. Release - ow.ly/QbyMq

Elliotte Friedman
So, full trade as per @VanCanucks is Brandon Sutter and a third for Bonino, Clendenning and a second.

Pittsburgh Penguins
The #Pens have agreed to terms with forward Eric Fehr to a three-year contract. Details: pens.pe/1ex4d9f

Kadri could've gotten that if he had a bit better year. It'll be interesting to see how he does next season. We'll either be kicking ourselves or be thankful it was only a 1 year deal.

I'm no Kadri homer BUT the guy is at his best when he has a fire lit under his ass, just look at how he was in the 12/13 season. I think that he's on a one year deal AND has a great coach in Babcock, I think he'll excel.

Vancouver Canucks
OFFICIAL: #Canucks acquire Brandon Sutter & 3rd round pick from Penguins. Release - ow.ly/QbyMq

Elliotte Friedman
So, full trade as per @VanCanucks is Brandon Sutter and a third for Bonino, Clendenning and a second.

Pittsburgh Penguins
The #Pens have agreed to terms with forward Eric Fehr to a three-year contract. Details: pens.pe/1ex4d9f

Don't understand this deal for the Canucks, Bonino is arguably better than Sutter, and cheaper than him, and they give up more assets and a higher pick? Odd.

It reminds me of a JFJ trade: throwing around draft picks and extra assets in deals like they're candy.

On the face of it, Bonino and Sutter are essentially a wash. So giving up Clendenning on top of that, and downgrading from a 2nd round pick to a 3rd makes no sense.

Nice move for the Pens though, especially when combined with their signing of Fehr. That team badly needs some cheap depth, and adding Fehr & Bonino for a total of $3.9M (which is only $0.6M more than Sutter's cap hit alone) will help. Clendenning is still on his ELC for this coming season, so that's some additional cheap depth for them on the back end. Bonino's also under contract for the next two years at $1.9M, while Sutter's a pending UFA.

Last edited:
You're not missing anything. This trade happened because Sutter's last name is Sutter and he plays like a Sutter...which is still highly valued by the old timey crowd.

Back