• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

World Cup

I don't care about these tournaments because the stakes are nil. Canada is the best hockey nation in the world. Even if they somehow lose this, I'll still feel that way.

No stakes. No drama. No f ucks given.

Out of curiosity, how has the actual hockey been? I've only seen a few brief highlight clips to date and the last minute or two of the North America/Russia game while waiting for the Jays-Mariners game to start.

Out of curiosity, how has the actual hockey been? I've only seen a few brief highlight clips to date and the last minute or two of the North America/Russia game while waiting for the Jays-Mariners game to start.

North America has been a blast to watch.
Canada is boring as **** once they get up a couple of goals.
I haven't seen much of the early starts to comment, but it's been entertaining and the effort level has definitely been there.

Phil Kessel
‏@PKessel81
Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Savage AF by Kessel, absolute joke that he was left off the roster. Rumor was Phill declined due to a wrist injury

It's been a long time since there was an athlete as consistently criminally under-appreciated as Kessel for the most spurious of reasons.

Hell even Ryan ankle skating and falling on his ass all the time would have helped USA.

I still can't understand why on Earth they had Little Angry Fonz behind the bench.

Was Barry Melrose unavailable?

Especially when a guy like Peter Laviolette was available. A very good American coach. Sure he could have found a use for Kessel.

Tried watching the game and I wasn't emotionally invested enough to care. I'd put more stock in it if it was a proper tournament with 16 teams

It's interesting that teams seem to have sabotaged themselves with goaltending decisions.

Finland went with Rinne over the easily better Rask.

USA went with Quick over the easily better Schneider or Bishop.

and both put their teams in big early holes with some really terrible goals.

Canada is ridiculously good but a couple saves from Quick could have made for a much different game.

Denmark makes everything better.

Excluding minor hockey nations from major tournaments is the best way to ensure that they remain minor hockey nations. These tournies are great for exposure, great for getting kids interested in the game, etc. We all shit on the existence of the Coyotes, but 19 yrs later a kid who grew up in Phoenix is our lord and saviour. That's not an accident.

Excluding minor hockey nations from major tournaments is the best way to ensure that they remain minor hockey nations. These tournies are great for exposure, great for getting kids interested in the game, etc. We all shit on the existence of the Coyotes, but 19 yrs later a kid who grew up in Phoenix is our lord and saviour. That's not an accident.

Agree with that.... that said 16 teams is ridiculous.

Back