• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Would you...Trade Jordan Staal for Matt Duchene

HockeyPat

I saw a quote where Jim Rutherford said as far as he knew Jordan Staal was not available. That might suggest that he would like Jordan for his third line centre.

Riddle me this sports-fans. If the Penguins were to somehow acquire Duchene, would anyone here consider a straight trade of Jordan for Matt?

Remember, this is just a message board glad talk, if you have a problem with this than you should attack the moderators. It's always their fault.

The other part of this is what is PIT giving up for Duchene? Maybe we take that from PIT.

HockeyPat.... that's a very tough question to answer, the more I contemplate. We'd be giving up what... a rock solid, can't get any steadier... 3rd line center, positioned naturally on a team that needs him on centering their 3rd line. We get a guy who hasn't proven to be a top notch center, maybe won't ever be, but should be able to play at least 1b, 2nd line center. We'd play him on the top line of course. lol.
See the dilema, we'd increase scoring.. but would the cards fall so that we'd have continued stability down the center position, enough to offset hte loss of what JStaal brings and would Duchene really increase overall scoring that much, directly/in-directly.
I think we could manage losing Staal, but still not 100% sold on Duchene as our answer. His attractiveness has wained with how long he's been available - but not moved. Would have been great to get him, and fair imo - for a prospect and 1st rounder. Sakic is nuts.
Maybe JR can make it work for us. But how would that work?

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade Jordan Staal for Matt Duchene straight up RIGHT NOW. Ask me that same question in 2 years if Nicolas Roy develops into a Jordan Staal type center capable of playing both ends of the ice and I will probably give you a different answer.

Jordan fills too many roles that Matt Duchene wouldn't cover and that we couldn't easily cover with other players on the roster. Duchene might boost our offense a bit, but I think Jordan Staal is the more valuable player. Jordan Staal is going to end up with more points this year (again) than Matt Duchene. Jordan had 45 points to Duchene's 41 last season...I expect Jordan to crack 50 points this year and Duchene to continue to struggle.

Last edited:
hahah we shall see! If Staal is still playing wiht Aho... I'm with you. No guarantee there, but you know, this ain't just any Sebastian Aho. lol.

Putting this another way, without Jordan I just see 4 centers that are not going to be able to impose their will on anyone (Rask, Duchene, Kruger, Ryan)? There isn't much beef out there to lean on anyone if those were our 4 centers. Its not like we are blessed with size on the wings either (at least not yet).

With Jordan we have a guy we can put out there that can outmuscle just about anyone in the league and still play some offense. I would cringe if we were at home trying to hold onto 1 goal leads and we didn't have a Jordan Staal type player to send over the boards. I know Kruger can play some defense, but I would rather have both he and Staal as shutdown options, especially considering Kruger's inconsistent face-off numbers (he's about a 50% career guy and was 49.1% last season).

I don't like a Canes trade for Duchene anyway (unless someone is almost giving him away). We can't replace TODAY what Jordan brings easily enough for me to make that trade. This falls along the same lines of why I would be very reluctant to trade Justin Faulk away to try to get a #1C....just creates other holes in the roster.

In a couple of years when Nicolas Roy or Martin Necas or Sebastian Aho is in between Skinner and Lindholm and that line is terrorizing NHL goalies everywhere we will feel much better about having not made some sort of desperation trade this offseason for a #2 center we would overslot as our #1. (at least that is my hope). Its about time for us to have one of our kids develop into a true #1 center again. It has happened before....

Last edited:
I would not make that trade even though both are $6M men. Difference being Duchenne's contract covers the next two seasons while Staal's covers the next six seasons.

But then I'm not a fan of Duchenne as our 1C solution, even if just for the next two years. Instead, I'm fine with muddling along with a couple of 2C's (Staal / Rask) until we can either grow our own 1C, OR get to the level of having 5+ legit top-4 NHL D-men and then trade one of them for a 1C prospect.

Neither player is a 60-point player, although I might agree Staal might out-point Duchenne next season if he remains with the Avalanche and we FINALLY give Staal some decent wingers for a change. But it's Staal's possession and defensive intangibles that tip the scales for me, plus net-front presence.

He's what we need and Kruger can't fill that hole all by himself. Kruger is a checking line center, to be sure, and perhaps the best in the NHL. But he is not the complete two-way player that Staal is and therefore not a replacement for him by any means. Just a complementary piece to be deployed so as to free up Staal's line for more O-zone starts.

Putting this another way, without Jordan I just see 4 centers that are not going to be able to impose their will on anyone (Rask, Duchene, Kruger, Ryan)? There isn't much beef out there to lean on anyone if those were our 4 centers. Its not like we are blessed with size on the wings either (at least not yet).

With Jordan we have a guy we can put out there that can outmuscle just about anyone in the league and still play some offense. I would cringe if we were at home trying to hold onto 1 goal leads and we didn't have a Jordan Staal type player to send over the boards. I know Kruger can play some defense, but I would rather have both he and Staal as shutdown options, especially considering Kruger's inconsistent face-off numbers (he's about a 50% career guy and was 49.1% last season).

I don't like a Canes trade for Duchene anyway (unless someone is almost giving him away). We can't replace TODAY what Jordan brings easily enough for me to make that trade. This falls along the same lines of why I would be very reluctant to trade Justin Faulk away to try to get a #1C....just creates other holes in the roster.

In a couple of years when Nicolas Roy or Martin Necas or Sebastian Aho is in between Skinner and Lindholm and that line is terrorizing NHL goalies everywhere we will feel much better about having not made some sort of desperation trade this offseason for a #2 center we would overslot as our #1. (at least that is my hope). Its about time for us to have one of our kids develop into a true #1 center again. It has happened before....

:) You had to do that eh? I'm too lazy... just who has grown into a true #1 center for us? RF?

I'm with you, but one thing is for certain, this team like has gotta make the playoffs next year. So, its all fine and dandy to finally play with a proper plan so to speak, and extoll efforts to do so, but it still doesn't erase the fact that the organization hasn't made the playoffs in an eternity. Sorry, this is like duh obvious, but it has been this way for how many seasons... where - next season: we have to make the playoffs. Enough. Make em!!

Maybe I'm not so confident we will. Sure, I think there is a chance, like every year, with the caveat of precedence that tempers expectations and hope I have. Its not for nothing. This fan has endured mostly non playoff hockey from his favorite team.. two horribly long stretches, this being now the worse one. We seem stuck on falling short. Something/someone needs to step UP.

Jaccob Slavin said we were making the playoffs during the draft party this year. Why doubt him?

The biggest problem we have making the playoffs is that unless this roster delivers some sort of serious overachieve and Darling delivers a top 5 goalie performance, we are already likely only fighting for a wildcard spot with the Caps, Pens and Jackets already ahead of us. I think we are good enough right now to grab that WC1 or 2 spot. I don't think trading for Matt Duchene or any other center that we would call a #1 would actually drastically improve our chances considering the hit some other part of our roster would take in such a trade.

We are likely going to be in the same position next offseason unless someone on our current roster develops into a #1 center. We will be debating if we should trade away one of our top 4 Dmen for a top line center. I personally think our D is too important to trade away at the moment. If Bean or Fleury develops rapidly then maybe we can afford to move someone. While I agree we need a #1C, I'm not yet convinced the solution isn't already in the system. I don't think the lack of a #1 center right now is going to seriously impact our playoff chances. The play of Rask, Aho, Lindholm, Teravainen, the health of Skinner and Staal, the hopeful maturity of Hanifin and Scott Darling's performance are where the playoffs will be won or lost this season.

Of course I say all that now about the plan going forward for #1 center. My favorite solution is for the Canes to go ahead and make the playoffs this season, then in the offseason, armed with a team that is obviously poised to be a playoff contender for a long long time AND with new ownership flush with cash they are willing to spend, we go out and sign John Tavares to a 7 year $77 million contract. If we really want to be relevant again and fix that 1C hole while keeping our superstar blueline together, there is best solution.

I'll be happy with just the playoffs this coming season part of that of course....... :smilewinkgrin:

Last I heard, the price on Duchene was astronomical. Rumor has it that Montreal inquired before landing Drouin. The price was Galchenyuk, Sergachev and Beaulieu.

That's outrageous. I wouldn't give Galchenyuk straight up. I prefer Drouin to Duchene. That said, if I could get Drouin at a reasonable price I'd be happy. I think he's a great 2nd line center with the ability to fill a #1 role adequately.

Last I heard, the price on Duchene was astronomical. Rumor has it that Montreal inquired before landing Drouin. The price was Galchenyuk, Sergachev and Beaulieu.

That's outrageous. I wouldn't give Galchenyuk straight up. I prefer Drouin to Duchene. That said, if I could get Drouin at a reasonable price I'd be happy. I think he's a great 2nd line center with the ability to fill a #1 role adequately.

Supposedly, they asked the Preds for a top 4 dman, a 1st round pick and a high level prospect. The rumor around Canes-land was Hanifin, the pick and prospect. No thanks.

On the pure hypothetical scenario posed, no. I wouldn't trade Staal for Duchene straight up. Throw in the right sweetener and then I'd be interested. If Duchene was about 15% more productive I'd do it in a hot minute.

I agree with this completely. On all points. Duchene just isn't as valuable as Colorado seems to think he is. And obviously the various GMs agree because they could be dangling him more publicly if they tried and thus far there he sits in Denver.

Back