PDA

View Full Version : Gold Medal Game

Pages : [1] 2

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
For anyone interested Deckie and I are going to the Tilted Kilt(Richmond Hill) Sunday Morning for the game, expensive pub food at an inopportune time and skanky waitresses in plaid bra's

I don't typically disrupting our alone time but will open up the invite to 95% of you.

Currently our reservation is for 630 AM.

Rumpleforeskin
02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I'll be drunk at a hotel in the falls.

trujaysfan
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Richmond hill is too far to drive for 7am drinking

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
I'll be at home and then once the game's over will attempt to write a paper.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I didn't really expect a lot of people to find this set up convenient lol.

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I will likely PVR the game and watch it later as I cannot see myself getting up at 4am to watch a game.

corksens
02-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Stay up for that.

UWHabs
02-21-2014, 02:57 PM
I'll watch from home, snuggled in a comfy blanket, scaring the cats with every goal Canada scores.

trujaysfan
02-21-2014, 03:01 PM
is it just toronto that changed drinking laws or all of ontario?

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 03:03 PM

Think its just Toronto...but I'd expect other municipalities to follow suit or lose revenue.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 03:03 PM
chicken wings+beer+reasonably handsome friend=good times.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Think its just Toronto...but I'd expect other municipalities to follow suit or lose revenue.

This place is in East Beaver Creek and they assured me they were serving.

trujaysfan
02-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I called a local bar here in burlington and they said they were opening up.... from what i know of bar management if you are not serving beer you are not making money, so i assume they are serving.

TimHorton
02-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Just win baby.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Just win baby.

pretty much.

The Kunitz/Vlasic/Babcock shit has been beaten to death....just win and it's all forgiven and forgotten.

Wayward DP
02-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Sweden's also missing two of their top three centres. Gotta take advantage.

hairnova
02-21-2014, 03:37 PM
And OEL sits on the bench the entire game. Didn't get one shift today against Finland.

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
And OEL sits on the bench the entire game. Didn't get one shift today against Finland.

lacks the chemistry characteristics of Johnny Oduya or Jonathan Ericsson.

zeke
02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
meh. it kills me that this type of hockey is going to be rewarded.

the glorifying of 1-0 and 2-1 wins is awful.

Metalleaf
02-21-2014, 03:59 PM

Same coach that benched him at the World Juniors is it not?

Volcanologist
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM
For anyone interested Deckie and I are going to the Tilted Kilt(Richmond Hill) Sunday Morning for the game, expensive pub food at an inopportune time and skanky waitresses in plaid bra's

I don't typically disrupting our alone time but will open up the invite to 95% of you.

Currently our reservation is for 630 AM.

:smilielol5:

MyNameIsJonas
02-21-2014, 04:04 PM
:smilielol5:

i have no earthly idea how busy it may or may not be.

worm
02-21-2014, 04:12 PM

see...having a drunk mayor pays off

Deckie007
02-21-2014, 05:18 PM
I hope they have Strongbow....close enough to apple juice!

TheCountofMonteCristo
02-21-2014, 06:12 PM

please Zeke, if the Leafs won a cup with nothing but 2-1 wins, you would not bitch in the least

zeke
02-21-2014, 09:08 PM
If they had the talent advantage over their competition that canada does, and were the prohibitive favorite to win every year, i probably would.

BG
02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Gonna be another goalie battle, gotta hope that Price has a little more magic.

LeafGm
02-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Remember the idea that international sized ice somehow is more conducive to offence and wide-open play?

This tournament is doing a pretty good job of showing that's a total fantasy.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 12:32 AM
James Mirtle ‏
Great chart from TSN and @JamieMcLennan29: Canada outchancing teams 109 to 39 at Olympics so far.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhDGuKRIMAAcdZu.jpg

Don't mind zeke. He's just butthurt that Canada doesn't suck. They've been dominant.

zeke
02-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Probably on track to have the fewest goals and lowest goal differential of any gold medal team ever. Almost every game has been a bounce or two away from disaster.

The media gushing about the win over the states, when we barely outscored or outchanced them nbd our goal was just a point wrister into traffic, has been particularly embarassing.

Wayward DP
02-22-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm with zeke. Yesterday's game was a toss up for the most part. And boring as hell to watch. Like, really, really, boring. That despite the fact that it was an Olympic semi-final match-up against our rivals.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 08:15 AM
They just haven't been able to put the puck in the net. Its not like they haven't been getting a ton of chances. Way more than their opponents.

They are corsi-ing the shit out of this tournament.

I can't find corsi measurments, but their shots for % is 66%.

Dominant.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 08:27 AM
And first they didn't beat Finland by enough, and now they didn't beat the US by enough? You realize its not the 80s anymore right?

leaffan2005
02-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Not a coincidence that the same people that predicted us to get blown out by the States are leading this ridiculous stance of not winning by enough goals as a sign of disappointment.

It's baffling, really.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes, sure guys.

Being disappointed only four Canadian forwards have goals heading into the gold medal game - ridiculous.

Being disappointed a lineup with Crosby, Tavares, Getzlaf, Perry, etc has mustered 2 or less goals in 3/5 games - baffling.

This isn't that crazy - this team should be able to score. Luckily our defense is amazing. The forwards have been underwhelming to say the least. If you can still win gold, no harm done. But it wasn't that crazy to suggest this team can be beaten. You get involved in all these low scoring, one goal games you leave yourself open to a lucky bounce or two completely screwing you.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Of course this team can be beaten. People just seem to underrate the rest of the world. Canada aren't the runaway favourites anymore.

And they aren't scoring because they can't score and aren't getting chances. They are getting ridiculous amounts of chances. They just aren't going in. All these guys can score though. They are missing wide open nets, and tap ins for whatever reason.

Its not just the defense playing amazing. They have had the puck the 2/3rds of the game. They outchanced the US by ~30%.

And yes, being disappointed about Canada in the gold medal game, with a guaranteed medal is silly. Sorry guys. It is.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Of course this team can be beaten. People just seem to underrate the rest of the world. Canada aren't the runaway favourites anymore.

And they aren't scoring because they can't score and aren't getting chances. They are getting ridiculous amounts of chances. They just aren't going in. All these guys can score though. They are missing wide open nets, and tap ins for whatever reason.

And yes, being disappointed about Canada in the gold medal game, with a guaranteed medal is silly. Sorry guys. It is.

Except I'm not disappointed about Canada in the gold medal game.

I'm disappointed in many of our forwards, who I don't think have played to their potential. Apparently that's not allowed or something.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Like I said. They've had the puck basically the whole tournament. They've out chanced their opponents by an insane amount.

Its not like the forwards haven't shown up. They just haven't been able to burry the the great chances they have been creating. They've definitely been generating them though.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Like I said. They've had the puck basically the whole tournament. They've out chanced their opponents by an insane amount.

Its not like the forwards haven't shown up. They just haven't been able to burry the the great chances they have been creating. They've definitely been generating them though.

I don't see how it's ridiculous to call it disappointing that the likes of Crosby, Tavares, etc. haven't been able to bury their chances on non-NHL goaltenders like Starkbaum, Gudlevskis, and Haugen. These aren't NHL goalies.

Our forwards are pretty lucky our defense has been incredible. If we weren't in the gold medal game, I think there'd be quite a microscope on them.

Wayward DP
02-22-2014, 09:37 AM
You can be pleased with the team's overall results while not being thrilled with a number of individual performances.

I don't understand this 'you can't criticize Canada at all because they're in the gold medal game' mentality.

They barely scraped by Finland, Latvia, and the U.S. One unlucky bounce in any of those games and it's a very different story.

Phil Kessel is almost outscoring the majority of our forward corps, combined...

Volcanologist
02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
what is wrong with pointing out that an all-world roster should be able to score more than 1 goal a game?

plus the hockey hasn't been at all what I expected.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 10:25 AM
No one is saying they shouldn't be able to score more. They should. They have been creating a ton of chances and they are all top scorers in the NHL.

Blueman
02-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Looks like this was the plan all along. They brought defensive d-man over offensive ones to own the defensive side of the equation.

BeLeafer
02-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm only disappointed by how dead boring it has been watching most of the men's hockey. I'm in it for the entertainment and hated trap-til-ya-drop era hockey ... which is what this feels like.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Big ice hockey sucks.

mbow30
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM
canada hasn't been in a position where it has needed to open things up. though when they've needed a goal they have engaged the blueliners and created traffic rather than just work the cycle.

i get that you'd like to see more goals. but the truth is they easily could have pumped a few more, but just haven't finished. and even though they haven't, the team has been ridiculously dominant. few, if any, odd-man rushes against. other than 3-4 shifts in the US game they haven't been pinned in deep at all. they totally control the pace and keep the puck deep in the other zone.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 11:04 AM
canada hasn't been in a position where it has needed to open things up. though when they've needed a goal they have engaged the blueliners and created traffic rather than just work the cycle.

i get that you'd like to see more goals. but the truth is they easily could have pumped a few more, but just haven't finished. and even though they haven't, the team has been ridiculously dominant. few, if any, odd-man rushes against. other than 3-4 shifts in the US game they haven't been pinned in deep at all. they totally control the pace and keep the puck deep in the other zone.

This is basically exactly what Leafman just said. Some of the best players in the world not finishing against non-NHL goaltenders is still pretty disappointing. Even Crosby who I love... 2 points in 5 games? He's done that only once in the last two seasons.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but how many golden opportunities has Crosby set up Kunitz for? He also missed two wide open net tap ins. He could easily have 5-6 points. Its not like he hasn't shown up.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 11:12 AM
These are some of the best players in the world. Yeah, I'm disappointed they haven't been able to finish. I don't see how that's unreasonable.

leafman101
02-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Its like shitting on Kessel when he has a 5 game scoring slump. They are playing well. They are getting the chances. That is undeniable. They just aren't going in right now for whatever reason. It happens.

I'd be concerned if they weren't getting the chances and dominating the games.

Whatever though, don't like that they aren't scoring. No one is telling you to like it. They are playing well though. They don't suck to the disappointment of some around here.

Wayward DP
02-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Big ice hockey sucks.

Yeah, this. Bloody snoozefest.

mbow30
02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
This is basically exactly what Leafman just said. Some of the best players in the world not finishing against non-NHL goaltenders is still pretty disappointing. Even Crosby who I love... 2 points in 5 games? He's done that only once in the last two seasons.

the only forwards on team canada who don't have 30 goal seasons are duchene, benn and getzlaf (who has 29 this year). it isn't like these guys have all forgotten how to score.

as for their finish against non-nhl goalies -- they scored 9 against austria and norway. they 'struggled to score' in a game where they threw 50 shots on net, including something like 30 high quality chances, and a young goalie who is, at the wrost, a decent nhl prospect, stood on his head. it happens.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Its like shitting on Kessel when he has a 5 game scoring slump. They are playing well. They are getting the chances. That is undeniable. They just aren't going in right now for whatever reason. It happens.

I'd be concerned if they weren't getting the chances and dominating the games.

I'd be disappointed if Kessel played 5 games, three of which against non-NHL goaltenders and only got two points. Even if he looked good. I wouldn't shit on him, but I'd be disappointed because he's capable of way more.

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 11:45 AM
the only forwards on team canada who don't have 30 goal seasons are duchene, benn and getzlaf (who has 29 this year). it isn't like these guys have all forgotten how to score

... didn't say that.

as for their finish against non-nhl goalies -- they scored 9 against austria and norway. they 'struggled to score' in a game where they threw 50 shots on net, including something like 30 high quality chances, and a young goalie who is, at the wrost, a decent nhl prospect, stood on his head. it happens.

The forwards scored 5 goals vs Austria and Norway. Three guys.

The Green Hornet
02-22-2014, 11:52 AM
whats the need to make excuses? we made the gold medal game and that is great, but the way we played we were a bad bounce or some bad luck away from being eliminated entirely. the criticisms are entirely valid

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 11:53 AM
whats the need to make excuses? we made the gold medal game and that is great, but the way we played we were a bad bounce or some bad luck away from being eliminated entirely. the criticisms are entirely valid

This. But whatever, I'm happy. Have a booth reserved at my local watering hole tomorrow at 6:30 am.

MyNameIsJonas
02-22-2014, 12:10 PM
i was scoffed at for making a reservation

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Everyone has a PhonyPony in their group of friends who can be counted on to make a 6:30 am bar reservation apparently.

worm
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
And first they didn't beat Finland by enough, and now they didn't beat the US by enough? You realize its not the 80s anymore right?

ya

after beating finland in OT...everybody is LIKE OMG USA AND RUSSIA ARE GOING TO KILL US ... finland easily beats both teams

worm
02-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Yes, sure guys.

Being disappointed only four Canadian forwards have goals heading into the gold medal game - ridiculous.

Being disappointed a lineup with Crosby, Tavares, Getzlaf, Perry, etc has mustered 2 or less goals in 3/5 games - baffling.

This isn't that crazy - this team should be able to score. Luckily our defense is amazing. The forwards have been underwhelming to say the least. If you can still win gold, no harm done. But it wasn't that crazy to suggest this team can be beaten. You get involved in all these low scoring, one goal games you leave yourself open to a lucky bounce or two completely screwing you.

this is what worries me going into the gold medal game

if sweden scores first what do we do?

remember he have not trailed for even a second so far

hockeylover
02-22-2014, 12:53 PM
this is what worries me going into the gold medal game

if sweden scores first what do we do?

remember he have not trailed for even a second so far

If I had to bet I'd still put my money on Canada. I've said that for the whole tourney even if I haven't agreed with all the coaching decisions and been disappointed with the production from the forwards. I just think not being able to finish leaves you open to being beat by a team that is either lucky or opportunistic (that quick strike offense). It's been fine so far, our D has been solid and picking up the slack offensively.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Backstrom was not at the warm-up and is not expected to play.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 06:41 AM
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
Swedish reports are Nicklas Backstrom won't play due to migraine headaches. Huge loss if true.

A migraine... really? The gold medal game? Yikes.

rated
02-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Backstrom is either a pussy or he's really ****ing hurting. I've had some bad migraines before and they can **** you up lol

Deckie007
02-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Great start

Deckie007
02-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Also my waitress is very surly. Can't imagine why

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Marc Dumont ‏@Dr_Habs now
Listening to Glenn Healy at 7 am on a Sunday. The things we do for hockey. #ultimatesacrifice

BG
02-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Good morning folks! Back in Canada.

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 07:10 AM
This's been a more wide open game than we've seen so far. I am a bit nervous for the first time in the tourney.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 07:11 AM
A team getting a shitload of offensive chances but not scoring always makes me nervous.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 07:12 AM
#reversejinx

Toews :D

Blueman
toews!

BG
YEP!

Killer93
Toews!!

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Did we dress Toews as a defenceman? 1-0 Canada!

Deckie007
Swedes just got Tazered!

CTheBigPicture
Weber and Carter have really shown up for this tournament.

Bleedsblue&white
02-23-2014, 07:14 AM
That's all we'll need I hope.

Hoss
02-23-2014, 07:16 AM
The game started and seemed like it was on fast forward. It was amazing how good both these teams are.

And lundqvist is over rated. Rarely plays well in the big games. Has looked sketchy this period.

rated
02-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Toews is killllling it.

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Perry tried to the patented JVR move there. Looking forward to seeing more that when the Leafs get back on the ice.

Hoss
02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Crosbys having a hell of a game as well.

Blueman
02-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Very high compete level today

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Poor MSL. He's awesome.

ForeverTML
02-23-2014, 07:59 AM
How the heck does canada get the long change twice this game in periods 1 and 3? Was there a toss before the game?

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Crosbys having a hell of a game as well.

He's had a bizarre tournament. He's made a bunch of great plays but nobody's been able to bury the puck. He only has 2 points but he could easily have 8 or 9.

hairnova
02-23-2014, 08:05 AM
How the heck does canada get the long change twice this game in periods 1 and 3? Was there a toss before the game?

What?

The long change is in the second period for both teams.

axlsalinger
Sid the Kid!!

hockeylover
Ah, there's the Crosby we know.

Blueman
02-23-2014, 08:06 AM
And then Crosby scores heh

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
SID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleedsblue&white
Alright, that ought to do it.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Don't you jinx us, bleedsred&white.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Pretty funny that they brought Kunitz for his chemistry with Crosby and he has one goal and its unassisted.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Alright, that ought to do it.

Be quiet you!

Hoss
02-23-2014, 08:09 AM
And karlson again with the dumbass defensive turn over. But we should all bow at his greatness. Hey cork post some more pics of Canadian players waxing poetically about his greatness

Deckie007
02-23-2014, 08:14 AM
2 goal lead? It's over

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Canada plays like that in the 3rd and it's gold...no mistakes now. Nice and easy.

worm
amazing what happens when berergon and kunitz dont have a chance to screw things up / not score

ForeverTML
What?

I guess they switch benches

worm
02-23-2014, 08:16 AM
What?

lol

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 08:18 AM
2 goal lead? It's over

Yep... 2 goal lead!! Shutout too!! It's over!!!

#jinxesarenotreal

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:39 AM
karlsson is sublimely talented but he really isn't much of a dman.

duchene checking him off the puck there was pretty lol. just awful shit.

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:41 AM
duncan keith's another one whose defensive deficiencies are swept under the rug.

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:43 AM
the closer!

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Chris Kunitz = Backbone

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
D-Men rankings are all based on bullshit reputation built-up on the media.

Jeremy
02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
gooooaaallll

aww yeah

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
backstrom tests positive for a banned substance

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Nicklas Backstrom misses gold medal game over use of banned substance.

An NHLPA source tells Yahoo Sports that Backstrom violated anti-doping rules after using an allergy medication.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...iacontentstory

Just to add to what mbow posted...

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Does really suck for Sweden to have lost so many skill guys. They can't generate any offense at all.

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Does really suck for Sweden to have lost so many skill guys. They can't generate any offense at all.

no team has generated any offense against this team.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Nicklas Backstrom misses gold medal game over use of banned substance.

An NHLPA source tells Yahoo Sports that Backstrom violated anti-doping rules after using an allergy medication.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...iacontentstory

Just to add to what mbow posted...

Now we know the cause of the migraine.

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:52 AM
wonder if the dummy was popping 20 sudafeds like brian savage

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 08:54 AM
This is boring. Get the Latvians back out there to give us some competition.

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
this is a Team Canada we all expected. Team Sweden is totally overwhelmed.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Wait a second, if one of Team Sweden tests positive for a banned substance how do they still win a medal even?

mbow30
has canada given up a 2 on 1 or breakaway this entire tournament?

Habspatrol
Wait a second, if one of Team Sweden tests positive for a banned substance how do they still win a medal even?

Maybe they won't??

mbow30
02-23-2014, 08:59 AM

i think the rule is that you forfeit that particular game.

which probably means that finland should have been here.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 08:59 AM
has canada given up a 2 on 1 or breakaway this entire tournament?

Price stopped Kessel on a breakaway... but there haven't been many odd man rushes that's for sure.

hairnova
02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Renaud Lavoie just tweeted that TWO players need to test positive to get disqualified.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Doughty was the MVP coming into this game, quiet here though. Any other candidate? They could give it to Price, but he's barely been tested.

mbow30
02-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Price stopped Kessel on a breakaway... but there haven't been many odd man rushes that's for sure.

that's right. i block out kessel's breakaways. he's so bad at them.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Someone just tweeted that the team would only be affected after 3 positive tests. That can't be right, can it? It's no one credible.

Jeremy
02-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Good job boys, good job!

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Doughty was the MVP coming into this game, quiet here though. Any other candidate? They could give it to Price, but he's barely been tested.

Shutouts in both elimination games... that's pretty impressive. I don't think it's fair to say he wasn't tested.

I think it's a tossup between Doughty and Price.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Renaud Lavoie just tweeted that TWO players need to test positive to get disqualified.

That's absurd.

I thought Canada has had a team medal taken away before due to one person on the team testing positive. Can't think of who it was though.

Volcanologist
02-23-2014, 09:05 AM
http://media2.giphy.com/media/lOiJqCjiEOcmc/200_s.gif

*applause*

mbow30
02-23-2014, 09:05 AM
between this crowd and the idiot announcers... this is the last exciting end ever.

by the way, in 2002 they turned the mics off until the medal ceremony.

instead we had to listen to these dummies blab about nothing.

Deckie007
02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Woooohoooo!! This gold > all other golds

Leafovic
02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
VIVE LE CANADA!

What a dominant performance.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Nevermind, I remember now. It was Canada's inline hockey team at the Pan Am games that got stripped of gold when the goalie tested positive.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 09:09 AM
We need more 7:00 a.m. games.

leafman101
02-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Dominant. For all the talk about Canada in hockey this is 3 of the last 4 Olympic golds.

leafman101
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
James Mirtle ‏
Price named goalie of the tournament. Karlsson top defenceman. Kessel top forward.

Best division in hockey?

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Dominant. For all the talk about Canada in hockey this is 3 of the last 4 Olympic golds.

Is there really this? There shouldn't be.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:13 AM
James Mirtle ‏
Price named goalie of the tournament. Karlsson top defenceman. Kessel top forward.

Ha, that's awesome for this board.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Price: 5-0, 0.59 GAA, .972 SV%, 2 SO

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Could Jim Hughson shut up for just a second?

Habspatrol
James Mirtle ‏

Best division in hockey?

Oh man... everyone with some bragging rights.

hockeylover

No. No, he can't.

Hate this guy.

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Nope.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
We need more 7:00 a.m. games.

That will be Corks excuse for Kharlson not playing well.

WellPlayed
02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Jesus listening to these morons force some little tidbit out about each guy getting their medal is so ****ing painful.

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 09:23 AM
I expect Hughson to continue:

"and now Canadian National Anthem.......'oh canada' is the first words of the anthem.....'you can see the players singing along'....now this part is about Canada being strong and free"

WellPlayed
02-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Good god he's play-by-playing the team picture and charter flight.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Hughson is still talking through the commercial.

Killer93
02-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Bring back Bob Cole!

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Curling - Men's and Women's Gold
Hockey - Men's and Women's Gold.

Damn shame some of our speed skaters and freestyle ski/snowboarders didn't come through for us.

soco22
We were having the convo here, figure would ask the board the same question.

If you were having a school yard pick em for team canada (not for an nhl team)...would you take Toews or Crosby first?

soco22

Damn shame some of our speed skaters and freestyle ski/snowboarders didn't come through for us.

Better than the other way around :)

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Crosby hands down.

WellPlayed
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Dominating performance. Just perfect. I was definitely skeptical of some of the player selections, but this team was built for lock down defense and puck possession, so pretty impossible to criticize after what we just witnessed. Carter and even Bergeron who I thought looked out of place in 2010, played great.

And it pisses me off that Anaheim has both Perry and Getzlaf, and got them both in the same ****ing draft in the late first round. Those two are awesome.

Habsy
02-23-2014, 09:32 AM

l33t

Habsy
02-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Bring back Bob Cole!

I don't think they can, word is Bob Cole was a cold war spy. Orders to be shot on sight in Mother Russia.

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised they won gold despite having problems scoring. It shows how great defensively they played.

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Hughson has ADD.

Habsy
02-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Price.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Dominating performance. Just perfect. I was definitely skeptical of some of the player selections, but this team was built for lock down defense and puck possession, so pretty impossible to criticize after what we just witnessed. Carter and even Bergeron who I thought looked out of place in 2010, played great.

And it pisses me off that Anaheim has both Perry and Getzlaf, and got them both in the same ****ing draft in the late first round. Those two are awesome.

Couldn't agree more!!!

axlsalinger
02-23-2014, 09:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8GZPYAj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3vR04K8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XREnVwi.png

CTheBigPicture
02-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Kudos to PK by the way. He has every right to be pissed off but he is out there, hugging everyone, including the coach, and enjoying the moment.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
That was clinical. We all bitched about the roster selections as expected, but that may have been one of the most dominant defensive performances by a team in the history of international play.

They looked like the old Soviet machines out there. Dominance.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Kudos to PK by the way. He has every right to be pissed off but he is out there, hugging everyone, including the coach, and enjoying the moment.

I don't understand how anyone can't like the guy.

He's intense, but he's a fantastic teammate by all accounts. He could have pouted or bitched but he was a total professional the whole way. I'm really happy for him that he got to play at least one game and get a medal out of this.

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Yup. Great spririt he showed. You couldn't see any disappointment, even though he obviously must have a lot.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 09:40 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhKrDmUCQAAmpwt.png:large

9:30 am in Real Sports.

worm
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
weird that neither of the last two norris winners played today....

ToanVu
02-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm surprised they won gold

Really? Before the Olympics, there was a huge debate on why Jeff Carter is on this team. A dude who any other country wouldn't even think twice inserting into their lineup. And one of our spares is Matt Duschene. A dude who'd be on the top line of the 2nd best team after us. Winning gold shouldn't even be a question. The real question is how much would we win by. So yeah, it's disappointing that we didn't obliterate everyone by 5 goals like we should.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Those are video game numbers.

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Really? Before the Olympics, there was a huge debate on why Jeff Carter is on this team. A dude who any other country wouldn't even think twice inserting into their lineup. And one of our spares is Matt Duschene. A dude who'd be on the top line of the 2nd best team after us. Winning gold shouldn't even be a question. The real question is how much would we win by. So yeah, it's disappointing that we didn't obliterate everyone by 5 goals like we should.

Well I said I'm surprised they won with so little finish. Not that I'm surprised at the end result.

worm
Yup. Great spririt he showed. You couldn't see any disappointment, even though he obviously must have a lot.

meanwhile Price looked sad that he won gold

Habsy
weird that neither of the last two norris winners played today....

Nice.

Although Crosby is happy about it.

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Even if they don't play again in the Olympics, they won 3 out of the last 4 Golds. Pretty damn good.

Habsy
02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
For the Sens fans...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840531861.gif?1393161744http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840541028.gif?1393164585

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
meanwhile Price looked sad that he won gold

Price rivals Toews for indifferent expressions.

Habsy
02-23-2014, 09:48 AM

All biness

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-23-2014, 09:48 AM
For the Sens fans...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840531861.gif?1393161744http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840541028.gif?1393164585

In fairness, they had to play a 7 am game. lol

JackBurton
02-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Now let's hope this didn't **** up the Leafs momentum.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Captain Serious vs the Solemn Goalie

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 09:56 AM
In fairness, they had to play a 7 am game. lol

It was a 4 pm Sochi start time....zero chance.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-23-2014, 10:13 AM
It was a 4 pm Sochi start time....zero chance.

Yes you are right. Doomed from the beginning.

BeLeafer
02-23-2014, 10:28 AM

pfft, late first round picks are totally expendable.

#dreamingofgettingufas

BeLeafer
02-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I can't hardly wait for the Leafs to start playing again. Found this whole tournament remarkably boring.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 10:32 AM
I can't hardly wait for the Leafs to start playing again. Found this whole tournament remarkably boring.

Yeah, really, really missed it. Nothing on in the evenings.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm just looking forward to playing hockey again on a proper-sized ice surface. I love soccer but it should stay separate from hockey.

BeLeafer
02-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah, really, really missed it. Nothing on in the evenings.

Especially with this nasty winter. Bring it back soon!

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Olympic All-Star team:

Lundqvist
Doughty
Karlsson
Selanne
Kessel
Granlund

Selanne was MVP

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Weber should have been on the Tournament All-Star Team over Karlsson and Doughty should have been named Best Defenceman.

Also, I think you got the goalies mixed up. Price was named Best Goaltender.

zeke
02-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Saved the best for last. That was a great game, and they finally looked legit dangerous throughout. That was beautiful hockey.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Weber should have been on the Tournament All-Star Team over Karlsson and Doughty should have been named Best Defenceman.

Also, I think you got the goalies mixed up. Price was named Best Goaltender.

Nah, Lundqvist was named to the all-star team, I didn't make the list up myself, got it from Mirtle.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Nah, Lundqvist was named to the all-star team, I didn't make the list up myself, got it from Mirtle.

**** that's bullshit.

I think they do a lot of the voting before the tournament ends but I have no idea how you can be named best at your position and then not make the tourney all-star team.

Oh well, I'm sure that Price will take Best Goalie Award and the gold over that anyways.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 10:53 AM
My choices for all star team would have been: price, doughty, Karlsson, Kessel, Selanne, Crosby.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 10:53 AM
My choices for all star team would have been: price, doughty, Karlsson, Kessel, Selanne, Crosby.

Mine would look like:

G: Carey Price (CAN)
D: Shea Weber (CAN)
D: Drew Doughty (CAN)
F: Phil Kessel (USA)
F: Teemu Selanne (FIN)
F: Mikael Granlund (FIN)

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL roster freeze is lifted tonight at 11:59 pm ET. Clubs are free to make transactions after that. #tradecentre #TSN

JohnnyHolmes
02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Huh?

Karlsson wasn't even on the ice when Crosby scored.

If he was Canadian and broke his stick, he'd be "showing emotion".

Of course it makes sense to crap on a Senators player when the JVR-Kessel dreamteam got BBC'd in the bronze medal game.

corksens
02-23-2014, 11:06 AM
And karlson again with the dumbass defensive turn over. But we should all bow at his greatness. Hey cork post some more pics of Canadian players waxing poetically about his greatnessHow predictable.

Blast the best defenseman of the tournament for trying to make something happen when the whole team is being shut down.

Weak stuff.

LeafGm
02-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Nobody in North America cares about the Bronze. I don't blame the Americans for not showing up.

Conversely, for a nation like Finland, it's a pretty huge deal.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 11:09 AM
How predictable.

Blast the best defenseman of the tournament for trying to make something happen when the whole team is being shut down.

Weak stuff.

When was Doughty being insulted?

corksens
02-23-2014, 11:09 AM
For the Sens fans...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840531861.gif?1393161744http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840541028.gif?1393164585Why post the first gif? Karlsson wasn't on the ice.

Infact - Karlsson wasn't on the ice for any goals in this game...or the entire tournament.

corksens
02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
When was Doughty being insulted?You hold your own opinions in too high regard.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Seriously, **** off cork. You can honestly be the biggest cock-sucking whiner on this forum sometimes. Canada just won the biggest event in the hockey world and you're bitching about Karlsson.

****ing nancyboy.

Go pound a few beers and stop being such a pussy.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 11:17 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1969273_10151868651321890_375848839_n.jpg

Hoss
02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Carter surprised me this tourney... he's been off all year, and I questioned his selection, but he was dangerous throughout the tournament.

corksens
02-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Seriously, **** off cork. You can honestly be the biggest cock-sucking whiner on this forum sometimes. Canada just won the biggest event in the hockey world and you're bitching about Karlsson.

****ing nancyboy.

Go pound a few beers and stop being such a pussy.Haha. Watch out. You are a few more keystrokes to being added on the board meltdown list.

I'm responding to some nonsense Karlsson bashing. Try to keep your Team Canada boner in your pants.

Edit: Didn't realize "nancyboy" at first read. The irony, Jays!

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Don't see anything to bash about Karlsson's Olympic performance. Or Kessel's which the Habs board seems to be obsessed with right now.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
http://l3.yimg.com/os/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1376_03_Debbie_Downer.png

Have a drink and stop crying, brother. We just won ****ing Olympic gold.

zeke
02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Carter surprised me this tourney... he's been off all year, and I questioned his selection, but he was dangerous throughout the tournament.

Best canadian forward in the tourney, from beginning to end. Says as much about the rest of the forwards' play as it does about his, but still impressive,

Though i guess it helped that we played such a Kings-esque system.

worm
02-23-2014, 11:45 AM
That's absurd.

I thought Canada has had a team medal taken away before due to one person on the team testing positive. Can't think of who it was though.

the goalie in roller hockey?

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 11:46 AM
the goalie in roller hockey?

yup.

worm
02-23-2014, 11:48 AM

they showed more emotion in the world juniors shootout :p

BG
02-23-2014, 11:53 AM

This is awe4some!

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 11:53 AM
First time we've swept the Canadian events at the Olympics. Almost did it in Vancouver but for Cheryl Bernard's choke job against Norway.

blacksheep
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Haha. Watch out. You are a few more keystrokes to being added on the board meltdown list.

Careful. He might threaten to ignore you...

corksens
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/os/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1376_03_Debbie_Downer.png

Have a drink and stop crying, brother. We just won ****ing Olympic gold.I've been enjoying the day since 6:30am - starting with a khalua in my Tim's. Don't worry about me.

But if you expect me to no respond to Karlsson bashing from Hoss after he won the best tournament defenseman - or at least tell Habsy that the guy isn't in the damn gif, then you are nuts.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Yeah I didn't get the Habsy gif either, that was Ericsson.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Olympic All-Star team:

Lundqvist
Doughty
Karlsson
Selanne
Kessel
Granlund

Selanne was MVP

Is this for real?

How was Price not ahead of Lundqvist? Selanne MVP? Who picks these?

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Media picks the all-star team apparently and the directors select the best at each position. That's why they often don't like up accordingly.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Don't see anything to bash about Karlsson's Olympic performance. Or Kessel's which the Habs board seems to be obsessed with right now.

I assume that the Hab fans are trying to bait you... as for Karlsson, he was Karlsson. Fabulous offensively and bad defensively.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 12:40 PM
I assume that the Hab fans are trying to bait you... as for Karlsson, he was Karlsson. Fabulous offensively and bad defensively.

It's par for the course with those guys. They're Leaf obsessed.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
It's par for the course with those guys. They're Leaf obsessed.

One of them is for sure. I swear he watches Leaf games even when there's a Habs game on. I remember a few times that the Habs are playing a great game then he'll post "Leafs being outshot 27-9 and their up 2-0."

And there are a couple others who are pretty bad too.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Ehhh it's a Francophone ethnic hating Anglo thing for them and less of an NHL thing I think. The Leafs are English Canada to them and they despise that.

I swear there's a couple of separatists on that board. Bet they were gutted about today's result. :lol

worm
02-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Ehhh it's a Francophone ethnic hating Anglo thing for them and less of an NHL thing I think. The Leafs are English Canada to them and they despise that.

I swear there's a couple of separatists on that board. Bet they were gutted about today's result. :lol

the worst ones are the anglo ones

one lives in BC one lives in ontario

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
the worst ones are the anglo ones

one lives in BC one lives in ontario

Yeah, that's true. And most Habs fans would rather post about Price. It's just the usual suspects.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Maybe... but to be fair to the board... it's a really small number of them who are like that. Out of the 50 or so regulars over there it's probably only 4 or 5 that have such a ridiculous hate on for the Leafs. And a couple are Anglos.

Don't get me wrong, we all hate the Leafs, but in a healthy rivalry way. Those other guys are obsessed.

lecoqsportif
02-23-2014, 01:05 PM

You must have been a history major, because you are the king of outdated narratives.

This remains far more relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1-c3y_Vng

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Minor.

corksens
02-23-2014, 01:14 PM
I assume that the Hab fans are trying to bait you... as for Karlsson, he was Karlsson. Fabulous offensively and bad defensively.Bait?

I was baited, yes.

Karlsson wasn't on the ice for a single goal against, point man on the tournament best PP and was tied for the lead in tournament scoring. Best defenseman in the tournament, and far from bad defensively.

CH1
02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Subban shoots a video.

http://instagram.com/p/kwz2QuBmlt/

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Bait?

I was baited, yes.

Karlsson wasn't on the ice for a single goal against, point man on the tournament best PP and was tied for the lead in tournament scoring. Best defenseman in the tournament, and far from bad defensively.

I saw him get turned inside out multiple times, as per usual. I said he was bad, not Lundqvist... the fact that he wasn't on the ice for any goals against in a small sample size doesn't mean much.

And yeah, he was awesome offensively, as per usual.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 01:18 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1618524_674615275928171_609338023_n.jpg

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 01:18 PM
I thought Doughty or Weber were pretty easily the best defenders in the tournament from start to finish.

Habspatrol
02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Yeah, and I'd give Doughty the edge. He looked really good on both sides of the puck.

lecoqsportif
02-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Doughty.

SundinsTooth
02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Doughty was a beast to Hot Karls sweet kitty.

oscarheyman
02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Thought Doughty was one of the better defenders (if not the best) for Team Canada in the previous Olympics as well.

MindzEye
02-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Watching Doughty play in the tourney makes you wonder how he isn't a 50-60+ point defender every year, challenging for the Norris, every year.

He looked way better and more dynamic than Duncan Keith, who is likely to win the Norris this season.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Playing in LA has something to do with it I'd guess.

SundinsTooth
02-23-2014, 01:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/b5Q7xny.gif

Forever alone.

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 01:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/b5Q7xny.gif

Forever alone.

That is hilarious.

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Favourite moment during the game...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b56500d04c506f57694ff0c93f2d54f8/tumblr_n1gbfc0FqZ1qaykt2o1_500.gif

hockeylover
02-23-2014, 01:43 PM
For what it's worth, medical director of Finnish ADA says Bäckström can't have taken that much pseudoephedrine by accident: http://www.mtv.fi/sport/olympialaise...hinko-vaitteet

"It's practically impossible. The limits were changed two years ago because of cases like this."

"You can't buy Zyrtec D in Finland, but in order to achieve this level of pseudoephedrine you'd have to take at least 3 times the dosage recommended by doctors, and it's still not certain that you'd be above the limits."

"The most probable cause for this is that the athlete has consumed pure pseudoephedrine. It's widely available in the U.S."

Interesting.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Yeah that was mine as well, Metal. You just know Toews and Sid were saying "We know what we have do here. Let's take it home." All business.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Man this is emotional. Hard not to love Teemu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW412vWamk

Metalleaf
02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/Metalleaf24/tumblr_n1geh1OZ5T1sr265io10_1280_zpsadf3f816.jpg

corksens
02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I saw him get turned inside out multiple times, as per usual. I said he was bad, not Lundqvist... the fact that he wasn't on the ice for any goals against in a small sample size doesn't mean much.

And yeah, he was awesome offensively, as per usual.Maybe you did - I saw the same from Ericsson and Kronwall too. I bet you also missed his back-check to strip Crosby away from the punk and the countless other things he did to relieve the pressure. You focus (on purpose due to bias) on the negatives and form an incorrect opinion as a result. No biggie, he was only voted the best defenseman of the tournament.

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
The IIHF guys generally like to spread the awards around historically, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

JohnnyHolmes
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
The IIHF guys generally like to spread the awards around historically, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Of course you don't put much stock into it. Your boys folded up like a cheap tent and went home early.

Of course it's "just" the bronze medal, but at least you WIN the bronze.

Bleedsblue&white
02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
If Karl was any position but Defence, he'd be one of the best in the game, but as long as a large part of his position calls for defending, he'll merely be a incredible skater who is money with the puck...but never one of the greatest defencemen.

MyNameIsJonas
02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
from what i saw you could go Karlsson or Doughty as best defenceman in the tournament. Both were dominant, i probably give it to the guy who won gold, but hot karl is a fine choice. Selanne vs Kessel is a toss up for me as well

JaysCyYoung
02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Of course you don't put much stock into it. Your boys folded up like a cheap tent and went home early.

Of course it's "just" the bronze medal, but at least you WIN the bronze.

My "boys" were the two best defenders in the tournament.