• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Best Android Phone

BG

Hey guys,

I've been on the Blackberry road for too long and am looking to upgrade to an Android-based smartphone.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Nexus 5, or a Galaxy S4.

Any advice? Any power-users out there?

When I get a new phone I like to customize it inside and out, so I'll look for ways to root/hack - any particular phone better for this?

Cheers,

BG

Not sure about the root/hack stuff, but I have friends with both, and so far for the price, the Nexus 5 is the phone I would probably pick up.

I own a nexus 4, previously a galaxy nexus, and previous to that an iPhone.

I consider myself a power user as far as available apps go that don't require rooting devices. I don't see a reason to root, where as I couldn't stand the iPhone without jail breaking it.

Note that the galaxy S5 was just announced so the S4 is close to being outdated.

Alos note that the main problem with the non-Nexus phones is that you are basically at the mercy of the manufacturers to update your OS. Nexus owners get the update months earlier (unless you want to cough up $800 for 'Google edition' of these other phones)

Also note that there are rumors that Samsung is trying to move away from Android.

also note that most non-Nexus phones build a skin on top of the stock android (Samsung uses touchwiz).

Nexus 5 though is the most raw android experience you can get. Problem however is that based on my experience these phones don't last much longer than two three years. Cameras aren't great either.

They are much cheaper and are very easy to root.

So all said and done, I'd go with a nexus 5.

I have the Galaxy S3 and I love it... so I'd imagine the S4 is even better. I like it a lot more than my old iPhone.

I've heard the S5 is great but underwhelming in terms of its upgrade on S4.

Kind of like that intermidiate Iphone upgrade they did. what did they call it? the S or something?

not sure I'd bother with the S5. Wait for the next one.

I've heard the S5 is great but underwhelming in terms of its upgrade on S4.

Kind of like that intermidiate Iphone upgrade they did. what did they call it? the S or something?

not sure I'd bother with the S5. Wait for the next one.

that was what they said about 3 to 4

have heard the opposite about 4 to 5

but all the big things are done...it is going to be tiny changes from now on

There's little difference between S5 and the S4. The sony xperia z2 looks sick and is way superior to the S5. Wait til march 25th to see new HTC !

Tonnes of custom ROMS out there for Android devices. I'm running one on my HTC ONE S and it's amazing how much you can customize. So I'd pick the device that feels the best and has the features you're looking for. Software bells and whistles are easy to get after.

LG-G2 has entered the race as well.. similar or better specs to the Nexus 5 and a better digital camera.

I went from the iPhone to the Galaxy S4 about 10 months ago. I like the Galaxy S4. It's pretty powerful. I use the dual screen on it all the time. Texting (and now tapatalk) on top and either internet or phone on the bottom. Sometimes other apps like Navigation etc.

u should also consider HTC one in your short list.

I'm using the S4, there's nothing wrong with it, it does everything I want but I likes the HTC One more. If not for the fact it doesn't support SD card I'd have got that instead.

It's a good cheap phone, actually really good cheap phone for what you're getting. It's just not a flagship phone so the spec's are inferior to most phones. Moto G is often called "the poor mans nexus"

Only thing I dislike is it only has max 16GB of storage with no card slot..that's like no space after you consider the software takes up a lot of that 16GB.

Back