• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Columbus at Carolina 3/29/14@7PM

SlapShots

...and the Jim Rutherford farewell tour continues

Columbus is still trying to keep their hopes alive in a very tight playoff race, but have gone 5-4-1 in the past 10 games. Columbus is currently in a four way tie for a playoff spot. Carolina is still statistically alive, but .500 hockey won't get us there and that's all we have had this season. Muller previously had Tlusty-Staal-Loktionov on a line with some success against the Islanders and the Panthers. However, Columbus aren't those teams. The Canes have won two match ups against Columbus this season and dropped two as well. Perhaps a nice division rivalry is developing.

Columbus coming off the wrong end of a 2-1 "playoff atmosphere" game (per Blysma) last night to remain in a four-way tie at 80 points for the wildcard (read fodder for Pittsburgh and Boston) slots. They need the two points and I expect vim and vigor from them to get 'em.

Come out listless in this one, and it will be handed back to you, facewash style. This one could be...strike that...will be physical, from at least one team on the ice, anyway.

Another measuring stick on the character side. We'll see.

Hate to say this, but...there's still a chance we make the dance... but we won't win when and where we need to and the other teams in the hunt won't do us any (more) favors. I say that because yesterday was a good result for our slim dim chances left of making it.
If Washington loses to Boston today (0-0 after 1)
If Detroit (or Toronto) win their game (either winning in regulation is the best outcome, not an OT/SO decision)
If Carolina wins against the BJ's.
Lost of ifs... and still, even if somehow, the the moons align tonight there are way way too many other if's left that I can't see this season's Canes over coming. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we make it 'interesting' (the optimists will say) and just miss out by 2-3 points, or even less... I've got such vision for this team, I can predict everything!
lol

Nah ... no chance for Carolina other than on paper. Very wet, very thin paper.

Columbus blew a great shot last night and will all but certainly come into this one with a bad attitude and a bag full of intentions. Carolina ... who knows with this bunch, but they've followed up plenty of solid performances on the road with abject stinkers at home. Personally ... fine with me. Let's lose out and do this up right.

Look,for the canes to be pushed around like Pansy's in a hurricane.
If they were smart, skinner, locomotive and lindholm would get the flu.

Not sure this is worth its own thread just yet, but since there's so little to talk about last night's game, I'll just put it here.

I continue to be encouraged by the chemistry, both off-ice and on-ice, showing between Elias Lindholm (who, disclosure, I am a huge fan thereof) and Jeff Skinner. Because of that, in fact, all trade talk involving Skinner should cease immediately. :sarcasm

Although, seriously, Jeff has always been an awkward fit in our collection of spare parts. I've always said there just isn't enough puck to go around to pair Jeff and Eric on a 5-on-5 line. Both are just black holes (which is not a bad thing for Jeff) with the puck. Maybe the power play, which we have done, where there are more puck possession and shot opportunities...but not 5-on-5.

And, then there's that defensive thing, which kept him from being on Jordan's wing, especially when we were asking Jordan to sorta kinda (meaning most def) run a "third line" checking role responsibility from the second line (Brind'Amour style), while contributing point-wise with wingers that had no business in a top 6 anywhere (no offense Gerbe and Dwyer)...but that's a whole 'nother story.

So, there he was, stuck on the "third line", with his own line left to do top-6 scoring from a third-line center/winger combo, all the while making top-six money. No wonder there was trade talk. Really valuable piece that we just cannot figure out how to use, mainly.due to our unique Staal brother configuration.

But, behold the future, ladies and gentlemen. That deft little backhand pass from the chaos of the crease that Lindholm sent Skinner's way while looking over his shoulder towards his target was the "recovered his own rebound" that we saw in the press accounts. Pure hockey magic.

Again, I absolutely love Lindholm and look forward to the day he is centering Skinner on his left and right-wing space-clearing bruiser forward TBD become one of those playmaking-scoring duos you read about and know so well...on other teams.

Pair Eric with Jordan or move outcha way. Skinner and Lindholm need to be in our top six next season. You can stop with the trade talk.

Although, seriously, Jeff has always been an awkward fit in our collection of spare parts. I've always said there just isn't enough puck to go around to pair Jeff and Eric on a 5-on-5 line. Both are just black holes (which is not a bad thing for Jeff) with the puck. Maybe the power play, which we have done, where there are more puck possession and shot opportunities...but not 5-on-5.

Personally, I think Skinner and Lindholm looks like a promising enough tandem that you'd be nuts to trade Skinner. What you need to compliment that bunch is a real center who can bridge the gap until Lindholm is physically ready to take over the job himself. At which time you find you a nice sized jack of all trades guy and roll with it.

Again ... I'm not piling on the guy, but Eric Staal's inability to mesh up with Skinner on the ice is probably his biggest failing over the last 3 years.

Last edited:
I would like to thank the rest of the Eastern Conference for doing everything they could to give the Canes a chance to fight their way back into the playoff race. But alas, this team just doesn't want it bad enough (or is just flat out not good enough to seize it, or a bit of both).

Toronto...oh Toronto.... Unless they miraculously turn it around its going to be a very loud offseason there....Eric Staal's hometown....

Toronto...oh Toronto.... Unless they miraculously turn it around its going to be a very loud offseason there....Eric Staal's hometown....

Introducing the brightest and shiniest of new toys, boys and girls...Eric Staal.

A pattern of distraction that has served them...well, served them.

But do they really have anything we want? Kessel?

Sorry, Eric's favorite team growing up, not his hometown. Let's face it, there will be Canes players to Leafs rumors all offseason. Its inevitable if we are trading any of our top players. The Leafs have more than just Kessel....it would be a package of stuff in return if such a deal were to be made.

Lot of empty slots in our bottom six and at least one in our top six looking for those very traits...size and aggression.

Back