• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Daniel Winnik Breakout Year

11 game anomaly. He's had the same kind of ice time most of his career. Not to crap on him, as he's a solid pickup. But he'll regress to his mean.

I like him, but not buying it. He's getting a nice opportunity and making the most of it, but the talent level isn't there.

If he continues averaging 15/16 minutes he'll set a new career high in points but I don't think he will reach 50. Maybe 35-40.

Still can't believe we got Winnik for a song. This guy was tied for 4th in forward icetime for the 1st place Ducks last year, and was a 30+pt pace guy without PP time.

If he continues averaging 15/16 minutes he'll set a new career high in points but I don't think he will reach 50. Maybe 35-40.

These minutes aren't anything new for Winnik.

14-15 (TOR): 16:24
13-14 (ANA): 15:23
12-13 (ANA): 16:50
11-12 (COL/SJS): 16:42
10-11 (COL): 16:33
09-10 (PHX): 13:09
08-09 (PHX): 13:04
07-08 (PHX): 14:06

it's amazing how under the radar this guy was when we signed him. those were good teams he was getting those minutes for for the most part.

He's scored 10+ goals a couple of times in his career and has hit the 30 point plateau, so while he's not a highly skilled offensive player, he doesn't have stone hands either.

And good on him for how he's performed thus far. He's played every forward position for us already, and he's added a needed dimension to both the Lupul/Kadri and Kessel/Kadri lines. If he sticks as a "glue guy" on one of our top two lines (particularly if he sticks with Phil), I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the 10-15 goal/35-40 point range, which would be a career high for him.

It also bears repeating that him, Komarov and Santorelli have been a huge upgrade on our "depth" from last year. And speaking of our depth from last year:

Dave Bolland: GP 4, G 0, A 0 Pts 0, PIM 4

...and the Panthers got that for only $1.35M less than Komarov, Santorelli, Winnik and Booth will make combined this year.

Next year... "xxxx GM has signed Daniel Winnik to a 5 year 25 million deal"

Here's something the Leafs should really take advantage of ---- there are plenty of fringe Free Agents like Winnik last year who feel overlooked, and when they don't get what they want will gladly take the 1yr showcase for cheap on the league's biggest stage in the hopes of earning a big contract the next year.

Here's something the Leafs should really take advantage of ---- there are plenty of fringe Free Agents like Winnik last year who feel overlooked, and when they don't get what they want will gladly take the 1yr showcase for cheap on the league's biggest stage in the hopes of earning a big contract the next year.

One thing to keep in mind, though may or not be correct:

Is that with the Leafs not looking like an overly strong team in recent years, guys that didn't get the deals they were looking for could sign with the Leafs with the belief that that would get good playing time as the competition level wouldn't be that high for guys fighting for their job.

Take for instance Mason Raymond last year, who was his competition in the top 9? Or who was competing for a spot in the top 9? We didn't have many prospects ready for the show and Raymond would have an easier road for more minutes and larger role.

With the Leafs getting better(hopefully), the prospect of guys coming in here for cheap contracts to showcase might not be available as before.

Or am i wrong here? I just don't think guys would come here if they didn't have a good chance to get minutes and guys that they think they can beat out.

True, but if we continually promise that same spot to a new cheap guy every year - the same spot occupied by Raymond, Winnik, Bolland, Santo, etc - then they can see that the opportunity is there.

If we don't stay strong, and end up paying $3-4m for Santo and Winnik in the offseason because they played so well last year, its an opportunity missed, imo.

The problem with this theory/approach is that it assumes that you'll continually find guys like Winnik, Santorelli and Raymond (which I regard as significantly less valuable of the three).

Sometimes you get a Jay McClement and it kinda ****s things up.

Oh i agree, f*ck them if they want those deals.

I like the Chicago way of team development. They've chosen who to keep as their "core", and recycled the rest. Though, that core is excellent.

McClement wasn't that bad a player. For some reason Carlyle had a boner for the guy and played him in situations he shouldn't have. This was a guy on the 4th line that was limited offensively. nothing wrong with a guy like that. When you start playing him more minutes, thats when we saw the McClement we didn't like.

I recall McClement was a pretty solid player in our playoff year.

Back